PDA

View Full Version : Bow River In Between Banff Park and Cochrane

selanne88
04-19-2010, 06:56 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has fished this section of the river. Have been past it lots and have always wondered if it has some good fishing. Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks everyone

Erik
04-19-2010, 07:07 PM
I fished just downstream of the dam at Ghost Lake. There are many small pools in the river there and good fishing, but the fish are rather small. I think the largest I caught was around 12 inches and maybe a pound or pound and a half, brown trout. Nothing to marvel at, but decent action and not overly busy.

selanne88
04-19-2010, 07:15 PM
I fished there last summer and caught a few small lake trout around 14 iches or so. Seen lots of footprints and forked sticks meaning people using bait there even though its against regulations. Never ventured too far downstream though

Fishingnutter
04-19-2010, 08:36 PM
At the "white chapel" just as Ghost Lake starts used to be great for Rainbows (ice fished there on 4 inches of ice once, stupid scary) and at the top of Horseshow Dam also used to be great with Mepps/bucktail spinners. Downstream from Ghost below the gasplant used to be good too. I'm relearning Alberta fishing, been some years since I've fished out here. Ghost Lake has some massive fish, tricky lake. Ice fishing with tear drop was always good, 50 yards from shore at the campground on the bridge side.

Albertadiver
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Might try in a few weeks near Bow Valley campground, we're there for a few days in about 3 weeks. I'm sure there's some pools in there where it's braided. (I haven't checked the regs yet to see if it's open etc. - will do that before I go)

jts1
04-19-2010, 08:50 PM
I start at Gap Lake and head upstream to wards Canmore. Lots of great little spots. have some of it mapped on my google fishing map

greylynx
04-20-2010, 08:47 AM
There is a good article on this section in the Alberta Fishing Guide a couple of years ago

Erik
05-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Does anyone know about the access that is just east of the Gas plant (range road 60, I think). There are large 'no trespass, no hunting' signs. I pulled up on Saturday and some guy and his wife were there looking at it and tore off as I pulled up. I took the signs to heart and reviewed my maps for another location. But it is obvious that this no trespass is disobeyed and frequently, as evidenced by the punk that drove parked there in his tercel and put on his waders and promptly crossed the fence. The fence is in obvious disrepair and the path to the river is well worn. Who owns this land, the Gas Plant? Is the no trespass aimed at hunters as opposed to fishermen and do others know something that I don't with regards to access on this land? Why would they post the Bow River fishing regulations where no trespass signs are in effect?

I would like to use this path in the future, but lawfully. Any help is appreciated.

tfehst
09-23-2013, 09:01 AM
Erik, I had the same questions as I tried to go last week. Any luck on getting answers? There were 5 vehicles parked there when I went and there was still the sign for the anglers but the no trespassing sings r still there

Lornce
09-23-2013, 06:30 PM
I was just wondering if anyone has fished this section of the river. Have been past it lots and have always wondered if it has some good fishing. Any information is greatly appreciated, thanks everyone

There are some good stretches here, the trout are very structure oriented along the upper section. Not as good as the lower bow but still a lot of fun.