PDA

View Full Version : New to fishing

Urban Nightmare
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
Hello everyone. Just got a rod and reel for Christmas. I know its a cheap Canadian Tire one but its a start. I've spent the last couple of weeks reading up on everything. Suffering from a bit of info overload :)

I live in Calgary and was considering trying it out at the Glenmore res. More to practice casting with an actual lure instead of a couple of washers in the back yard. I just got my license so no problem there. Now I just need to learn what the different species look like and possibly which ones I can keep. I've heard the fish tastes better when you catch it your self. Does any one have any suggestions as to where at north Glenmore is a good place to just cast about?

Thanks

aulrich
04-20-2010, 04:05 PM
First off get yourself a copy of Barry Mitchells Alberta fishing guide (or some variation of that name). While not 100% accurate the maps and descriptions are worth while especially for a newbie.

Don't forget the regs I assume you have them, know them and love them. Some of them will seem counter intuative, make sure you understand them so you avoid a ticket.

I have not fished the glenmore what I have heard is that the fish are not that plentiful but can be of a decent size.

When you have the guide check out the stock trout ponds/lakes those are a good place to start off, especially if you are limited to shore fishing. They not as good table fare as wild fish, but good trainer fishing.

Cal
04-20-2010, 07:23 PM
x2 on the Alberta Fishing Guide. Another good way to pop your fishing chery would be to hook up with a more experienced AO member in your area. I pretty much break the speicies up into two different catagories. Predator species such as pike and walleye, and the smaller bug eating species such as perch, trout, and whitefish.

In general for Pike and Walleye I use 10lb line and lures such as spoons, jigs, spinners, and plugs that are in the 3"-6" range. Especily when fishing from shore using bait, where it is allowed, can often help you catch more fish because rather than retrieving your lure back to shore you can leave the bait out where the fish are. For the predator fish use frozen minnows in the same size range fished either below a bobber or on a pickerel rig.

For bug eaters like trout and perch I use 6lb line and the same types of lures but in the 1"-2" range as well as flys fished on the surface behind a clear plastic bobber or deeper on a pickerel rig. I use bait more often for these species than for the predator fish. Mostly I use worms, for trout I sometimes use grass hoppers. If you have any questions you can PM me.

Urban Nightmare
04-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks. I'll try and find a copy. I've never cast before. I did go trolling up at Meadow Lake about 8 years ago and didn't catch anything. I'm just looking to learn how to cast at the moment and if I catch something it just a bonus. I did get a license last weekend and read over all the regs. Looks like most of the lake and rivers are closed at the moment and hence why I was thinking of trying out Glenmore. Dewitt's hasn't been stocked yet (from what I've read here) so no sure if its worth going out there or not.

Thanks again.

aulrich
04-21-2010, 01:26 PM
The bow is fishable, though it's not easy on new folks. But that said the various dams on it could be a good option but I have not fished down stream of Cardson at all.

The Cardson wier, and the dam at Bassano (brooks too?) sound like they are very shore fishable, hopefully others have more details on those.

Speaking of season, keep ice fishng in the back of your mind, does not take tonns of cash to get going (though you can spend it if you want) but lets enjoy our two weeks of summer first :)

jts1
04-21-2010, 03:20 PM
First of all good job on picking a great sport. And dont worry about tossing out a bad cast or two. Every guy on this forum has hooked a tree , himself even the wife from time to time with a bad swing of yee old rod. Would make a good thread hearing the worst of the worst casts in forum history. Just keep swinging that rod is the best solution. Maybe we can share a cold one and a laugh or two somewhere and we will see what can be done about this casting of yours

DarkAisling
04-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Welcome :)

You might like to try Carburn Park Pond. http://www.calgaryarea.com/calgary_parks/carburn_park/carburn.htm

The fish (perch and pike) aren't necessarily cooperative, but there are some areas that are a little more open. Those will provide for fewer tangles while casting ;)

jacenbeers
04-21-2010, 06:30 PM
If you ever want somebody to show you some spots let me know. I can take you to Carburn or anywhere else around the city.

uicehole
04-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Welcome to the sport. You'll be hooked in no time. You can learn about the sportfish in Alberta from SRD's web site. http://srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversityStewardship/WildSpecies/Fish/Default.aspx
Know how to ID the different species - especially the bull trout or it can be an expensive lesson. The site used to have a fun Fish ID test but I haven't found it recently.

Urban Nightmare
04-22-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for all the tips. I'm looking forward to getting out there and catching a few. Is Carburn park open yet? That's one thing that's a bit taxing at the moment is figuring out all the regs and whats open and when. Seems like most everything is closed until the middle of May or so.

slingshotz
04-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Carburn is open year round as is Glenmore Res (although you can't ice fish Glenmore).