PDA

View Full Version : Ice Shack Ban

BigBuck$
04-20-2010, 09:25 PM
Talking to some guys in Manitoba tonight, looks like they are pushing this pretty hard. A few people out there are going to ruin it for everyone, it will happen here in Alberta too if people don't start using some common sense.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Campaign+afoot+fishing+fishing+shacks+River/2928382/story.html

go-big-or-go-home
04-20-2010, 09:34 PM
it will happen here in Alberta too if people don't start using some common sense.

i agree uber big time. i was out on sylvan a few times this winter and it was just awfull with the amount of forign debris on the ice . but remember, common sense isnt so common i geuss hahaah, so we may get struk with this ban soon enough

Mike_W
04-20-2010, 09:44 PM
I think there should be a fish hut registry to be able to put any semi permanent shack on the ice. Any unregistered hut without a permit in clean view should be fined!

CeeZee
04-20-2010, 10:13 PM
if the permit allowed me to have i shack i would do it, but i really agree with the amount of s*** people are leaving on the ice including burned firewood. no its not a very foriegn object, but when i try to take my small kids out fishing and the kids start to play with all the crap on the ice its pretty frustrating. Leave it how you found it and we wouldnt have all these dumb a** laws and rules.
Was in manitoba in march, went fishing to a lake i fished at ever since i was little and it was a mess, not to mention there is about half as many people fishing there as 5 yrs ago, so, hmmm, puzzled.

S.A.S
04-20-2010, 10:40 PM
The permit should be free and you should need a Win card to get it. Unfortunately a ban is most likely there and we probably won't be far behind. :(

Elk Chaser
04-21-2010, 08:41 AM
In Ontario you have to phone MNR and get a reg. number that has to be displayed on your hut.

I use to fish the Ottawa river and watched a fish cop walking around our hut, he was GPSing the site and attaching my reg number. He did it to all the huts. On that magic day in March when all huts had to be off, the fish cop would be out there a week later making sure ALL your crap was off the ice. Big fines if you left anything behind.

Alberta could use the same system.

jts1
04-21-2010, 09:17 AM
I agree you should have to have a permit attached with win # Any violators should be fined heavy , any shack without said permit are pulled off ice and destroyed or sold for funds. Simple fact is you wanna get guys where it hurts hit them in the pocket book hard.

curteck
04-21-2010, 02:21 PM
Took my two girls out to gull a couple of time this past season and the oldest drove around on the quad picking up other peoples crap. she picked up anything from leftover logs to popcans and even 3 (yes 3) 5 gallon bucket lids all this in an area of 200 yard radius from our fishin spot.What do you tell a 7 year old who askes why do people do this to our lakes?:mad3:as for registering huts I would do it if asked.

Sheldon

tatonkagp
04-21-2010, 09:09 PM
I for one hope they do ban permanent in Alberta, I am tired of seeing peoples shacks flolating in the water in the spring. You cant tell the good people from the bad, so a ban needs to be in place.

deanmc
04-22-2010, 05:54 AM
In Ontario you have to phone MNR and get a reg. number that has to be displayed on your hut.

I use to fish the Ottawa river and watched a fish cop walking around our hut, he was GPSing the site and attaching my reg number. He did it to all the huts. On that magic day in March when all huts had to be off, the fish cop would be out there a week later making sure ALL your crap was off the ice. Big fines if you left anything behind.

Alberta could use the same system.

I agree great Idea. Make the fines big enough to pay for the system of monitoring everyone.

Marlin07
04-22-2010, 06:06 AM
I for one hope they do ban permanent in Alberta, I am tired of seeing peoples shacks flolating in the water in the spring. You cant tell the good people from the bad, so a ban needs to be in place.

Thats a good attitude, might as well ban guns because the odd nut job is out there while were at it. Rules sure but banning stuff is not the way to go.

dodger
04-22-2010, 06:58 AM
What about portable huts / tents. Any guy in a portable can leave his garbage and waste on the ice when he picks up and leaves. This opens a real can of worms about enforcement. I think the report a poacher line should also take calls for reports on people leaving there garbage anywhere anytime, you just get the licence plate # and possibly a picture of there mess from your cell.
My $0.02 worth.
Dodger.

Hooker
04-22-2010, 07:35 AM
Everyone wants more permits ... more laws ... more enforcement but no one wants to pay for them or to take on a little responsibility themselves. How about the next time you are on the ice and see some garbage you stop and pick it up and put it in a garbage bag that you use for your own garbage. I do and it's no great effort. I know, it isn't fair that we should have to clean up after some slob but then life isn't fair either. The more personal responsibility you demonstrate yourselves the less laws and regulations there will be to hamper us and maybe ... just maybe the fees our wonderful governments lay on us might go down???

Skid_o
04-22-2010, 07:39 AM
I think on spray lakes they do have a permit system for permenant shacks. It cost nothing you just have to register your shack so when you leave your junk on the ice they know who to contact.

Bill L
04-22-2010, 08:05 AM
People need to clean up their act all year long, it just seems that a lot of people do not give a dam these days

Mussel
04-22-2010, 08:40 AM
I agree with Hooker, complain to someone about garbage, little impact, pick it up for them while they watch, major impact.

RedHeadedFisherman
04-22-2010, 08:49 AM
if the permit allowed me to have i shack i would do it, but i really agree with the amount of s*** people are leaving on the ice including burned firewood. no its not a very foriegn object, but when i try to take my small kids out fishing and the kids start to play with all the crap on the ice its pretty frustrating. Leave it how you found it and we wouldnt have all these dumb a** laws and rules.
Was in manitoba in march, went fishing to a lake i fished at ever since i was little and it was a mess, not to mention there is about half as many people fishing there as 5 yrs ago, so, hmmm, puzzled.

while i do not ice fish( gets to cold withy me taking blood thiners ect0, i would have to say, if there was a liciense applyed to haveing a ice shack on lakes, and you had to have a reg # attcheted to the hut (after reading the articale in first post) then it would be easy to catch the *had) guys that do it wrong for all the good ones.. it onlt takes one bad appple to spoil the barral.
Leave it how you found it and we wouldnt have all these dumb a** laws and rules.
i total agree.. i pick up sh*t and used line anywhere i go fishing ( carry a spare G-bag for that proupose. hope sh*t like this stops. but(sigh) it would be hard.

tatonkagp
04-22-2010, 04:19 PM
I just think registering is a bad idea, with how well and cheap the gun registry is going.

BigBuck$
04-22-2010, 04:55 PM
I grew up in Saskatchewan and I'm pretty sure they had a law that you had to post your name, phone number, and where you lived on the outside of your shack. If you leave a shack out too long they know who is responsible for it, same goes for the two dozen beer bottles smashed on the ice outside your shack. It's not a bad idea, no registration required. Also if your shack is vandalized someone would likely call you to let you know.

Okotokian
04-22-2010, 05:00 PM
laws and registries and permits and licences might work, but who wants more bureaucracy? Seems to me a publicity campaign would be a good start. Have icefishers protect the freedom they already have. If folks just behave and self-police we can continue to enjoy our freedom. I'm not an ice fisherman myself, but I think the look of huts out on the ice is sort of quaint and homey, old fashioned. As long as people pick up after themselves.....

BigBuck$
04-22-2010, 08:41 PM
laws and registries and permits and licences might work, but who wants more bureaucracy? Seems to me a publicity campaign would be a good start. Have icefishers protect the freedom they already have. If folks just behave and self-police we can continue to enjoy our freedom. I'm not an ice fisherman myself, but I think the look of huts out on the ice is sort of quaint and homey, old fashioned. As long as people pick up after themselves.....

I agree. I only posted this because if it is happening in other parts of the country it is only a matter of time before it happens here. Hopefully this will open a few eyes and make people think before they leave a mess out on the ice. I think we owe it to ourselves as ice fishermen to respect the fact we share the lake with other people who may not be involved in the sport. If there is garbage left behind and shacks floating in the lake come spring it will leave a negative image on us. I don't think we are just talking about garbage here, some of the shacks that I've seen could be classified as garbage themselves!!! I don't think there is anything wrong with using scrap lumber to make a shack if your on a tight budget but make it look at least half decent. Ripped up tarps and pieces of tin blowing across the lake are just as bad as the guy leaving chip bags and beer cans behind.