PDA

View Full Version : brook trout question

el sparko
04-21-2010, 09:51 AM
i've got a craving to get after some brookies, i'd like to fish them from shore on a creek, just like when i was a kid. any ideas on a good spot to scratch this itch?

Scott N
04-21-2010, 10:14 AM
Quirk Creek in K-Country comes to mind. I know you're looking for running water, but Elbow Lake in K-Country is also a good place to catch brookies.

McDeth
04-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I have caught TONS on the bow river between Banff and..well..all the way up to Seebe.

FishingForLife
04-21-2010, 12:23 PM
If your looking for brooks, I have had my best luck at the above mentioned, Elbow Lake, aswell as the Jumpingpound Creek and Sibbald Meadows Pond about 20 minutes outside Calgary.

walking buffalo
04-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Cataract Creek, south on trunk road ( #?) from Hwy 40 or 541 (Longview) is infested with Brook trout. Get in there and keep your limit of 2. Highwood tributary, open June 16-Aug.31

duffy4
04-21-2010, 04:58 PM
There is a lake that is rumoured to have nice brook trout in it, I think it is called "Thunder Lake??".

It is located near the junction of the elk river road and the trunk road.

Never fish there in late August though. As you may hear an elk bugle off in the distance and they you will not be able to fish anymore.

There are no brook trout down here in Australia as far as I know. But the beach fishing can be very exciting.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/ththt-1.jpg

luckyme
04-21-2010, 06:02 PM
There is a lake that is rumoured to have nice brook trout in it, I think it is called "Thunder Lake??".

It is located near the junction of the elk river road and the trunk road.

Never fish there in late August though. As you may hear an elk bugle off in the distance and they you will not be able to fish anymore.

There are no brook trout down here in Australia as far as I know. But the beach fishing can be very exciting.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/ththt-1.jpg
you guys has baramundi too, hook on one of those badboy feels like you have a donkey pulled your line.:D

jacenbeers
04-21-2010, 06:23 PM
I second Jumpingpound Creek. Brookies are all I have ever caught in that creek.

fishstix
04-21-2010, 08:59 PM
I second Jumpingpound Creek. Brookies are all I have ever caught in that creek.

How big are they? And did you park at the jumping pound campground? I was there a few seasons ago but the lot was closed.

Fishstix

jacenbeers
04-21-2010, 09:24 PM
They are always fairly small. 6-10 inches. They are pretty aggressive and easy to catch though. I just park on the side of the highway where the creek crosses highway 1 and fish just upstream from there. There is a beaver dam and a pool below that which gets a lot of action.

duffy4
04-21-2010, 10:38 PM
There are several creeks near Rocky where you can have some fun catching small brookies. My son and I had a blast in some bearer dams on "Frenchman's Creek" and Kept a few for the fry pan.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b174/duffy4/100_1406.jpg