PDA

View Full Version : transducer installation problem

orca
04-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I bought a used 16.5 lund it came with a lowrance X49 fish finder . I bought a HDS 5 lowrance and want to install it on the boat. I was planning to remove the X49 and install the HDS 5 on the dash but it won’t fit there isn’t enough room. I have a 90 hp and a 4 hp kicker. So I would like to mount fish finder on the back starboard side of the boat. There is 20” between the 2 motors. If I install the transducer on that side will I get interference from the motors? It doesn’t make sense to me to install both transducers on the same side I will be using the fish finder mostly with the trolling motor.

rattler
04-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes you will probably get interference when both these units are turned on.
they both operate off of the same frequency (200 Hz ). I end up turning my dash unit off when I use my stern finder.

To mount your new finder on the dash try using a ram mount, this will give you much more room. Make sure to check to see if you need to reinforce the dash cap from the underside.

Cheers,

Geoff

iliketrout
04-21-2010, 03:29 PM
I bought an HDS-5 and made a suction cup mount for my little 12' aluminum (yes, the finder is worth more than the boat). I went to Princess Auto and bought a car body dent puller, and made some aluminum brackets. I'll post a picture of it if you're interested.

Anyways, before drilling holes you should consider a temporary mount like a suction cup, to ensure that you won't get any interference.

I would think that you would get some interference from the props, the installation guidelines state to put it at least 12" from the prop.

Other than a wire running across the transom, is there a problem with mounting it on the port side? Or can you move the kicker to the port side?

orca
04-21-2010, 06:05 PM
The other transducer is on the port side . It is mounted 16'' from the 90hp.
If I can get it to work properly It will be great I bought the scotty fish finder mount I can be move it from the port,starboard and in the middle of the back deck . Im thinking of mounting a little closer to the 90 as I will use the hds5 more when i'm trolling with the 4

Mudslide
04-21-2010, 06:39 PM
HDS-5 has a dual beam transducer. Switching to the narrower beam should solve the confict.

Rick.
04-21-2010, 09:13 PM
My buddy mounted his hds5 on the back and he has to turn off his dash mount eagle or he gets interference. HDS is dual beam but for some reason I don't remember he wants it on one particular setting. Fantastic fish finder. Rick.

Tredeb
04-23-2010, 10:51 AM
I don't think that mounting your transducer on the other side will eliminate interference. It may in shallow water, but many people experience interference between bow and stern transducers so 6 feet probably won't help. Basically, if the water is deep enough for the sonar cones to meet, you will see interference.

I believe you can use different transducers for your hds 5, you may be able to just turn the sonar off while leaving the unit on as well. I haven't played with mine enough yet to know for sure.