PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Learn to Fly fish

mikeo2
04-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I was just wondering which fly shop in calgary has the best "learn to fly fish" school/seminar? I have been looking at fishtales and country pleasures but came upon Hanson Outfitters class which is actually on the water and at the end of the day you get to keep the fly rod and reel and line, I know it wont be anything special but it would be a start equipment wise.

Okotokian
04-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Having only attended a course put on by Country Pleasures I can't comment on which shop has the "best" one. But I thought mine was pretty good... taught by well-known writer and fisher Jim McLellan and a couple other guide/instructors. I would highly recommend it.

Scott N
04-22-2010, 12:10 PM
I can't comment on a fly fishing course, but I took a fly tying course through Fish Tails Fly Shop a few years ago, and I was impressed with the guys / gals working there.

Okotokian
04-22-2010, 12:23 PM
I would assume that anyone that works in or with any one of those specialty shops is pretty "into it" and knowledgable. You probably won't go wrong with any of them.

DarkAisling
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
I was just wondering which fly shop in calgary has the best "learn to fly fish" school/seminar? I have been looking at fishtales and country pleasures but came upon Hanson Outfitters class which is actually on the water and at the end of the day you get to keep the fly rod and reel and line, I know it wont be anything special but it would be a start equipment wise.

My son and I did the Hanson's boot camp last weekend.

The equipment is quite good. It is a 9.5' 6wt IM7 graphite rod, basic reel, backing, and tapered floating line. I'm a deal seeker, and I would be hard pressed to turn up the equipment for less then $200.

Personally, I would recommend it.

CanadianEh
04-23-2010, 12:26 AM
I saw on the blog on the Pieroway rod website they are hosting a Bootcamp on the Bow this Sunday. I am going to head down and check it out maybe catch a fish or 2..

Gotta see if I can get them to help me with some casting techniques.
if interested.. you can check out the details by CLICKING HERE (http://www.pierowayrods.blogspot.com/)

would be good to meet some other AOFers who are just learning this fly fishing thing like me.

DarkAisling
04-23-2010, 07:19 AM
I might be at Pieroway's . . . I don't know yet.

mikeo2
04-23-2010, 08:12 AM
thanks for the info!! im pretty excited to get out on the water here in calgary.