PDA

View Full Version : Crowsnest run-off

Guitarplayingfish
04-22-2010, 04:02 PM
So I went to go catch my weekly whitefish/trout down in the pass, and I see the runoff started. Very fast, murky and deep. Anyone know approximately when the run-off ends?

howlin
04-22-2010, 05:51 PM
i was just down there today and the water is so low.i take it you were past hillcrest bridge as non of the other stretches are open yet.gold creek was very clear ,but with the fact that there was no snow down there this year the runoff will be short lived.give it a couple more weeks.bye the way lees was jumping this week.:wave:

Joe Fehr
04-22-2010, 09:57 PM
So I went to go catch my weekly whitefish/trout down in the pass, and I see the runoff started. Very fast, murky and deep. Anyone know approximately when the run-off ends?

When the snow stops melting :lol: All depends on snow pack in the ranges, real dry year so I don't think it will be long.

Guitarplayingfish
04-23-2010, 09:53 AM
i was just down there today and the water is so low.i take it you were past hillcrest bridge as non of the other stretches are open yet.gold creek was very clear ,but with the fact that there was no snow down there this year the runoff will be short lived.give it a couple more weeks.bye the way lees was jumping this week.:wave:

Yeah, I was past east hillcrest, closer to lee. I also was fishing lee, and wow... Every single cast, at least 4 baby trout follow if not bite. I also had 3 monsters follow my spinners... looked to be about 5-6lb rainbows. I heard they just stocked it with 5000 little guys, along with 10-15 12lbish brood trout. If anyone hooks one up, Dont forget to take a picture!!

lannie
04-26-2010, 05:39 PM

The run off you witnessed was the lower elevation melting a bit with the warm weather. There is less than average for snowpack in the higher elevations but it has not really started to melt yet. Approximately the 3rd week in may is when the river peaks and then starts to clean up for the season. It takes very little melt or rain to dirty the crowsnest as it is relatively small and very easily influenced by many tributaries by the time it
hits the east hillcrest bridge. The influence of the run off is usually over by the second to third week in june. IMO

sheephunter
04-26-2010, 08:06 PM
It's running fairly clear in Blairmore today.