PDA

View Full Version : Sturgeon fishing tactics

SCOOBA_ACE
04-22-2010, 09:34 PM
What is the best way to go about catching sturgeon? The old heavy duty rod reel combo with a pickeral rig. Heavy weights to anchor it down. Want to get into sturgeon fishing and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fishfinder
04-22-2010, 10:29 PM
Welcome to the forum. :wave: Do a search on this forum and u should find some useful info. Sounds like ur on the right track with ur setup. Where abouts u plan on fishin for them?...NSR, SSR?

honda450
04-23-2010, 04:12 AM
A email I got. Thought you Sturgeon guys would like.

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz234/honda450990/securedownload-1.jpg

LAKE OF THE WOODS - KENORA , ONTARIO CANADA
Another Minnow...

This is a darn interesting picture and story even if you aren't into fishing,
But please show it to anyone you know that likes to fish.

FYI: This sturgeon is still alive, just worn out from the fight.
As the sports fishermen they are, they turned him loose after the photo.

This Sturgeon was caught on the LAKE OF THE WOODS , KENORA , ONTARIO two weeks ago.
It weighed out at over 1,000 lbs and measured out at 11'1".

It was 56" around the girth and took over 6 and a half hours, and 4 dozen beers, for the 4 guys taking turns at the reeling it in.

Any Sturgeon OVER about five feet has to be released unharmed and cannot be removed from the water.

They are brood / breeding stock and probably older than most of us.

SCOOBA_ACE
04-23-2010, 05:08 AM
North Sask river. I have seen that e-mail before of that monster sturgeon thats what interests me in fishing for them. I know they are not that big here in Alberta but have heard of some decent (70+) size fish coming out of the NSR.

Geezle
04-23-2010, 06:32 AM
What is the best way to go about catching sturgeon? The old heavy duty rod reel combo with a pickeral rig. Heavy weights to anchor it down. Want to get into sturgeon fishing and any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to the forum! :wave:

Seems like you're on the right track for the sturgeon...big beefy rod and reel, fairly heavy line, pickerel rig or something similar, and a heavy enough weight to keep it from bouncing across the bottom. I like pyramid sinkers as they tend to stick to the bottom a little better.

And don't forget bait! Worms are always a safe bet, but I've heard that anything smelly will work.

Good luck out there! :D

pdfish
04-23-2010, 06:42 AM
Every year we go thru this, a pickerel rig is not a good rig to be fishing for sturgeon with. This is what you need.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp96/pd_fish/SturgeonRig2_248.jpg

You don't need the slider, just the run the line thru the ring on the weight.

The reason that a pickerel rig sucks is because of the chance of it busting off and having the fish swimming off towing a big, heavy weight attached to heavy line. Its the perfect recipe for getting snagged around a branch or rock, and voila, dead sturgeon.

In the above rig, regardless of where it breaks, the fish won't be towing the weight around.

Safety D
04-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Put a rotten chicken on a great big rod and wait !!!!

kidd
04-23-2010, 10:08 AM
I agree with PD - thanks for that tip. Also less chance to hang up while playing the fish. I'm going to rig a few of those!
kidd.

madatter
04-23-2010, 11:16 AM
Most people use pickerel rigs for the simple fact that they are easy and they do work....
They are also better for catching other sportfish in the river,which you have a better chance of doing most days than hooking a sturgeon.
Unless you have a jet boat and some time and knowledge of the river,or access by foot to "sturgeon holes" you chances of multiple sturgeon days are not very good.
Just don't use the crappy hooks that come with the pickerel rigs,we have found that they are the weakest link!

steve
04-23-2010, 11:36 AM
Most people use pickerel rigs for the simple fact that they are easy and they do work....
They are also better for catching other sportfish in the river,which you have a better chance of doing most days than hooking a sturgeon.
Unless you have a jet boat and some time and knowledge of the river,or access by foot to "sturgeon holes" you chances of multiple sturgeon days are not very good.
Just don't use the crappy hooks that come with the pickerel rigs,we have found that they are the weakest link!

If you are targetting sturgeon, do the fish and yourself a favor and leave your pickerel rigs at home.

You have no advantage with a pickerel rig over a sturgeon rig, on catching "other sportfish" they work just as well, probably better for hook-ups.

jeezy187
04-23-2010, 01:11 PM
very true!!!! no pickeral rigs, was fishing the nsr in hermitage area and was just fishing for whatever bites and was lucky enough to hook onto one of these creatures. At first i thought i had a huge pike on but as it got closer i seen the tail and fin come out the water and SNAP!!! rod goes limp but then it was back on and did manage to land it only because after my pickeral rig broke the weight wrapped around the sturgeons tail like 4 times and thats how he came in! So like other people have stated make your own pickeral rig with some nice 20-30lbs braided line and you shouldnt have any problems reeling them in because it's about a 95% chance your rig or hook break on those crappy things......hope this helps and good luck on landing one:)

buckbrushoutdoors
04-23-2010, 01:51 PM
If you are targetting sturgeon, do the fish and yourself a favor and leave your pickerel rigs at home.

You have no advantage with a pickerel rig over a sturgeon rig, on catching "other sportfish" they work just as well, probably better for hook-ups.

x2 they are good for goldeye but thats it!!! these fish are prehistoric and we owe it to them to use the best tackle and plus you still catch a pile of walleye and crap fish on sturgy rigs! Now they just need to start biting i have been out 3 times and not even a bite yet! Anyone else having any luck yet?

pdfish
04-23-2010, 03:22 PM
x2 they are good for goldeye but thats it!!! these fish are prehistoric and we owe it to them to use the best tackle and plus you still catch a pile of walleye and crap fish on sturgy rigs! Now they just need to start biting i have been out 3 times and not even a bite yet! Anyone else having any luck yet?

I checked the water temp out west of the city when I drove down to take a look at how iced the launch was last saturday and it was at 32.8 F. Need around 50F for them to wake up.

fish-man
04-23-2010, 03:40 PM
I've heard the Genesee bridge is a decent spot to catch them... can anyone confirm or deny?

Also, anyone every tried big fish baits (herring, mackerel, etc) for sturgeon? If I'm gonna sit on a riverbank all day, I might as well try to pick up big pike as well:)

Safety D
04-23-2010, 03:52 PM
Sturgeon fishing is DEAD right now !!!!!

Paul C
04-23-2010, 05:46 PM
Every year we go thru this, a pickerel rig is not a good rig to be fishing for sturgeon with. This is what you need.

http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp96/pd_fish/SturgeonRig2_248.jpg

You don't need the slider, just the run the line thru the ring on the weight.

The reason that a pickerel rig sucks is because of the chance of it busting off and having the fish swimming off towing a big, heavy weight attached to heavy line. Its the perfect recipe for getting snagged around a branch or rock, and voila, dead sturgeon.

In the above rig, regardless of where it breaks, the fish won't be towing the weight around. Nice rigging. If you add the okuma bait running reel you have a deadly set up. Cheers :D

gatorhunter
04-23-2010, 08:21 PM
That sturgie came from the Frazer River which if you know your geography is about 2000 miles from Lake of the Woods.

I use an 8 foot Shimano Compre Musky Rod (extra heavy action), 80 lb test Power Pro on a Shimano Catala 400 series. 40 lb mono leader with 6.0 circle hook. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight so don't bring your walleye gear to fish sturgeon.

madatter
04-23-2010, 08:46 PM

Really......good for nothing but goldeye??
I've watched multiple boats on the SSR use them,even guys who tag sturgeon use them.
I've caught up to 60lber on one and most hookups that end up with a lost fish are just fish getting off.....not breaks.
As for targetting sturgeon well unless you have the knowledge of when and where they are at you are very unlikely to catch em...simple fact.
You can catch on anywhere at any time,especially when river levels are up and they are moving tho.
Pickerel rigs may not be the best choice but they work fine,especially if fishing from a boat.

Strikemaster
04-23-2010, 09:23 PM
When bottom fishing with a pyramid slip rig do Sturgeon hit the bait hard? Or is it usually a gental take? Do any of you find the resistance from the weight turns them off?

boonedocks
04-23-2010, 09:47 PM
If you do use pickeral rigs make sure that you buy the ones with the larger hook sizes as they will have a heavier main line,then replace those cheap gold hooks with some Eagleclaw snelled hooks and you are in business.

DarkAisling
04-24-2010, 06:20 AM
That sturgie came from the Frazer River which if you know your geography is about 2000 miles from Lake of the Woods.

I suspect you're correct about that, despite the fact that this photo is on the net in several places with the same details that Honda posted (well, the number of cases of beer changes).

Lake of the Woods has Lake Sturgeon (max 200lbs). That is clearly a White/Pacific Sturgeon (max 1800lbs), and as such it most likely came out of the Fraser.

EDIT: http://www.hoax-slayer.com/giant-sturgeon.html

pdfish
04-24-2010, 06:46 AM
Really......good for nothing but goldeye??
I've watched multiple boats on the SSR use them,even guys who tag sturgeon use them.
I've caught up to 60lber on one and most hookups that end up with a lost fish are just fish getting off.....not breaks.
As for targetting sturgeon well unless you have the knowledge of when and where they are at you are very unlikely to catch em...simple fact.
You can catch on anywhere at any time,especially when river levels are up and they are moving tho.
Pickerel rigs may not be the best choice but they work fine,especially if fishing from a boat.

Really? Thats funny, I am one of the guys that tag sturgeon (NSR), and granted, I haven't chatted with everybody else that does, but out of all the ones I have chatted with, none use a pickerel rig.

If you do use pickeral rigs make sure that you buy the ones with the larger hook sizes as they will have a heavier main line,then replace those cheap gold hooks with some Eagleclaw snelled hooks and you are in business.

Or how bout not advocating their use at all?

When bottom fishing with a pyramid slip rig do Sturgeon hit the bait hard? Or is it usually a gental take? Do any of you find the resistance from the weight turns them off?

It depends, some will tug ever so gently, some will smack it like a freight train. With the sliding rig above, there is more give available when the fish takes the bait, especially if your drag is cranked way down.

Fishfinder
04-24-2010, 09:09 AM
Yes I seem to recall the pickeral rig debate from last year. I agree pdfish, u have a great setup there. I know a tagger for the SSR and he uses a very similar setup. However personally, I still don't see the big deal with pick rigs either and they will continue to be one of my choices for river fishn. Why?
1 - In 3 yrs fishn the SSR I have NEVER lost a rig on a fish and yes, I have caught sone bigguns.
2 - Every Sturg I've caught on the P-rig was hooked nicely in the lip, and sent back in fine shape.
3 - I think they are great for multiple species fishing, can catch anything on them.
4 - Inexpensive/easy to find/ easy setup.
I honestly have yet to see any harm in their use between me and several friends that use them, and aside from very very rare snags, we never snap em. My 2 centz.:)

hl649
04-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I suspect you're correct about that, despite the fact that this photo is on the net in several places with the same details that Honda posted (well, the number of cases of beer changes).

Lake of the Woods has Lake Sturgeon (max 200lbs). That is clearly a White/Pacific Sturgeon (max 1800lbs), and as such it most likely came out of the Fraser.

I agree that that is definitely a white sturgeon, but it could also have come from The Columbia or Kootenay river system in BC. We caught one that big 10 years or so ago.

gunner72
04-24-2010, 09:19 AM
Yes I seem to recall the pickeral rig debate from last year. I agree pdfish, u have a great setup there. I know a tagger for the SSR and he uses a very similar setup. However personally, I still don't see the big deal with pick rigs either and they will continue to be one of my choices for river fishn. Why?
1 - In 3 yrs fishn the SSR I have NEVER lost a rig on a fish and yes, I have caught sone bigguns.
2 - Every Sturg I've caught on the P-rig was hooked nicely in the lip, and sent back in fine shape.
3 - I think they are great for multiple species fishing, can catch anything on them.
4 - Inexpensive/easy to find/ easy setup.
I honestly have yet to see any harm in their use between me and several friends that use them, and aside from very very rare snags, we never snap em. My 2 centz.:)
I've been useing pike rigs with Matsuo hooks and 50lb spider wire leads and i agree that i have caught more fish period with the two hook set up than the single, but to each his own i guess. Old tire wieghts work good for the river too. They don't role and seem less likely to get hung up.

buckbrushoutdoors
04-24-2010, 10:13 AM
so here is a questions for all pickeral rig lovers....

What do you spool your reel up with? the cheapest line you can find in the discount bin at walmart? or do you run heavy premiuim line in your reels? Because that line on those factory pickeral rigs is nothing short of garbage! All my sturg equipemnt is the best I can afford (and trust me its not fancy) Line is one thing you should never cheap out on! do the fish a favour and run 30# plus line from your reel to your hook. You take the time to sit out there for hours sometimes days to hook up on one sturg why not be sure that hes not going to break off a crappy set up and drag it around for weeks. When i started fishing the river pick rigs where awsome, we caught thousands of walleyes and goldeye but you break one sturg off you feel prety sh*ttt*Y
thats my 2 cents
not here to argue or fight just my opinion:wave:

Just to get the blood flowing again! good luck to everyone out there this year!
http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/buckbrushoutdoors/fishing/dillonssturg2-1.jpg

http://i722.photobucket.com/albums/ww228/buckbrushoutdoors/fishing/DSCF0487.jpg

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-24-2010, 02:21 PM
[QUOTE=pdfish;570346]http://i401.photobucket.com/albums/pp96/pd_fish/SturgeonRig2_248.jpg[QUOTE]

That is a great system , very same thing I use , except the swivel , but makes sence to use the swivel less line twist . I also use the weight on the bottom and tie a 10 inch piece of Maxima line with gamakatsu octopus , hook . I also like to use a drop shot rig . Good solid 9 ft musky rod , with 80 lb Power pro line . I feel that a good stiff rod with some flexibility in the tip gives for a good fight but also gets that fish in fast , causing less Mortality to the Sturgeon .

Pickerel rigs are junk should be outlawed . Only thing there good for is for fishing stocked trout . And even then thats a last resort .

madatter
04-24-2010, 07:53 PM
Lots of info here....
Pickerel rigs should be outlawed????
Maybe outlaw treble hooks too.....
Seems alot of experts here!!
Use what you want ,catch some fish and be careful with them cause I'd bet there's alot more fish killed from handling than using pickerel rigs. :rolleyes:

pdfish
04-24-2010, 08:47 PM
Lots of info here....
Pickerel rigs should be outlawed????
Maybe outlaw treble hooks too.....
Seems alot of experts here!!
Use what you want ,catch some fish and be careful with them cause I'd bet there's alot more fish killed from handling than using pickerel rigs. :rolleyes:

WOW, nothing like putting words in a person's mouth, eh? I never said pickerel rigs should be outlawed, just not used when targeting sturgeon. I'll stick with my ethical standards, thanks.

madatter
04-24-2010, 09:08 PM
WOW, nothing like putting words in a person's mouth, eh? I never said pickerel rigs should be outlawed, just not used when targeting sturgeon. I'll stick with my ethical standards, thanks.

You did'nt say so but someone else did.....
Glad you have ethical standards too cause taggers handle alot more fish than anybody and can do alot of harm.....

BigIrv
04-25-2010, 11:04 AM
I would say that sturgeon in the pic is definitly from the Fraser River or one of its tribs.
I went fishing with the guide that is in that picture and he is based out of Mission BC for fishing on the Fraser.

WayneChristie
04-25-2010, 02:31 PM
http://www.demonoid.com/files/details/2222641/4690776/

Fishfinder
04-25-2010, 05:37 PM
No teeth. No bones. What a dynamic fish! Withstood the test of time. Indeed we should treat these dinosaurs with the upmost care. Be gentle and always recall what it is like to be winded and without breath!

The sturg population is growing in both the NSR and SSR which is awesome.

As for the pik rig debate, I use them from time to time when setting up camp er eating, and if I happen to wrangle a Sturg so be it. I still see no harm. Yet to lose a Prig on a fish. Never target Sturg I do, but goodness forbid one nails me bait.... well guess what, it's Fish on! And I reckon the reason I never lose a Prig on a fish or vice versa is cuz I tire em out and bring them in.

Save ur breath for those that wanna dispute a Sturg's mortality rate. Like any other fish, YES, limit time outta water. Anyone who knows their Sturg will justify their stength and longevity.

It aint like hooking into any other fish. Around these parts.
Cheers:)

To each their own I guess?

hl649
04-25-2010, 07:09 PM
I agree with the no teeth but they definitely have bones. They have a very large skeletal system like most other fish.

DarkAisling
04-25-2010, 07:21 PM
I agree with the no teeth but they definitely have bones. They have a very large skeletal system like most other fish.

While they do have a few legitimate bones, the vast majority of the "bones" in their bodies are cartilage.

hl649
04-25-2010, 07:28 PM
They do have a fair bit of cartilage but they still have a full skeleton. I have operated on and dissected quite a few of them. I spent the best part of a decade conducting research on white sturgeon in both the Fraser and Columbia Rivers. Believe me when I tell you they have bones...

DarkAisling
04-25-2010, 07:37 PM
Believe me when I tell you they have bones...

I'm tryin' . . . that they have a full skeletal system is just so contrary to everything I've ever heard or read about sturgeon (I'm from the Fraser Valley originally: Chilliwack).

Can you post a link to a good diagram or article? You're dealing with 37 years of programming here ;)

hl649
04-25-2010, 07:40 PM
I don't have any pictures as they are all the property of either Ministry of Environment or BC Hydro. I could not post them without permission. As I said they definitely have a fair bit of cartilage but they still have lots of bones.

DarkAisling
04-25-2010, 07:56 PM
Well, I found this:
http://www.hydro.mb.ca/environment/publications/poster_sturgeon_anatomy_screen.pdf It is published by Manitoba Hydro, and is pretty lame . . . it is the best I could find. It relates to Lake Sturgeon.

Are there differences in the skeletons of Lake and White Sturgeon?

RandyBoBandy
04-25-2010, 07:59 PM
We tried all the "stinky" bait methods and the best ended up being "worms" using the rigging in the pictures previously mentioned. As for bones, yes they have a skeletal series, but they tasted something between a dolphin and a bald eagle!! :lol::lol::lol:...I'm joking I'm joking!!

hl649
04-25-2010, 08:53 PM
Are there differences in the skeletons of Lake and White Sturgeon?

I only spent a little bit of time working with lake sturgeon on the S. Sask and I have never seen the inside of them. They may be different than the white sturgeon.

Fishfinder
04-26-2010, 02:20 AM
They do have a fair bit of cartilage but they still have a full skeleton. I have operated on and dissected quite a few of them. I spent the best part of a decade conducting research on white sturgeon in both the Fraser and Columbia Rivers. Believe me when I tell you they have bones...

I wanna agree with u but ur wrong boss. No bone period. Feels like bone but alas...no bone. Fully cartlidge which helps em survive, They can handle alot. Again, surely I will get attacked here but nevrtheless, I don't harm fish and use the Prig quite often...can't help it if I Wrangle the odd Sturg,
Gonna have to agree with Madatter here, many more fish are lost to bad handling techniques as oppossed to Prigs.
All those opposed........ur silly:lol:

PoorTurtle
04-26-2010, 11:34 AM
The best way to catch a Sturgeon is to go out with someone in the tagging program. This way you will learn what to use and the proper way to handle them. There is a reason why people don't talk about sturgeon holes to the open public, and this forum proves why. Yes I know everyone would love to catch one, but give the Sturgeon the respect they deserve and fish for them with the proper knowledge and equipment.

AxeMan
04-26-2010, 12:02 PM
I caught mine with the lindy rig setup and a ball of earthworms. Find a deeper channel or hole and cast it out and wait. You will know if sturgeon are around if you pay attention.

Paul C
04-27-2010, 01:46 PM
Nice job catching that bottom shark. It looks like you had some help with that one. Looks like jody is knee deep in mud.:lol:

Luckystar
04-27-2010, 04:29 PM
ssr

Fishfinder
04-27-2010, 04:44 PM
ssr

Yeeeeeeah! That's what I'm talkin' bout! Nice healthy looking Sturg u got there! Sooooooo much fun:D