PDA

View Full Version : Looking to be shown around The Bow

Fly_Fishing_EMT
04-22-2010, 10:51 PM
Hey everyone,
Recently moved to Calgary and can't wait to get out and fly-fish the Bow and other fisheries around the Calgary area. Only problem is I don't really know where to start so I'm hoping to find some fishing buddies to take me out and show me around a bit.
I've been fly-fishing for three years now but still have much to learn. I don't have a pontoon, a float tube or a boat so it would have to be a walk n wade kind of deal.
Anyhow if anyone is interested reply to the forum or send me a message and I will get back to you for sure.
Also I'm planning to buy either a pontoon boat or a float tube but I can't decide which way to go. Anyone have some helpful insight? Can a guy safely float down the Bow in a float tube or is a Pontoon boat worth the extra money?

jts1
04-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Great to have you on the forum. You will flind a bunch of great guys on here with tons of info. As we has spoke about before we will see what can be done about showing you a few spots. Will let you know when I am free. Check your PM for a link to my google map it has more than enought to keep you goung for a while :wave:

Fly_Fishing_EMT
04-23-2010, 12:18 AM
Hey thanks again. I checked out your map earlier and will be putting it to the test soon!

superspud
04-23-2010, 12:23 AM
hey! welcome to the forum. Id be more then happy to show ya around the bow a little. just shoot me a pm of when you are usually free and we will catch some fish!

rxxxm22
04-23-2010, 05:21 AM
welcome to the forum FFE.....you are in the right place....I am new to this flyfishing thing here but the folks on this forum have been a great help to me and i am sure you will find this out also...good luck !!

Ron

Ray
04-23-2010, 09:42 AM
I don't have any experience fishing the Bow, but I do know it can be dangerous. Floating in anything smaller than a proper boat is not recommended. Even then I would first make sure I went with someone knowledgable/experienced in this section of the river. A sweeper or log jam could ruin your day in a big hurry.

skain11
04-23-2010, 02:02 PM
No to bellyboating the Bow, tried it a few times years ago when I first started flyfishing, can be very dangerous and a real pain in the butt so to speak when your legs are 3 feet long and the water is six inches deep. Bought a pontoon boat 6 years ago and love it. We float the Bow approx. 6 - 10 times per season. A drift boat may be next, even though someone is usually rowing ( and therefore not fishing) it is easy to take turns ( 20,20) and a bit more sociable than floating alone. BTW there are a couple of shuttle services available for your vehicle which can gain you a few more hours on the water....sk .

Russ C
04-24-2010, 09:37 PM
Please do not use a bellyboat on the Bow. With your legs sticking down your feet can and will get caught in branches, logs or in a space between two rocks. This in turn will pull you right under with not much chance of freeing yourself as the current will prevent you from releasing your leg or legs. A pontoon boat will work very well on the Bow, be sure to get a good pair of flippers and please wear a life jacket. I would say get a pontoon with at least 8' pontoons for river fishing, you can go with shorter pontoons for lake fishing. Years ago I had a friend that died on the Bow.

So be safe
Russ C

Fly_Fishing_EMT
04-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Thanks everyone for the info it was very helpful and I seem to have found a few people to go out fishing with as well so that is awesome.

fishyuncle
04-29-2010, 01:31 PM
I float down the Bow 3 or 4 times every summer in my canoe. The guy in the front of the canoe can fly fish. As for me in the back I use a 4ft ugly stick and spin cast, as I must also control the steering. We do stop along the way at "the spots" to get out so I can toss a fly into the current too!!! Lots to learn on the River, but TONS to find....