PDA

View Full Version : Name that lake??? Is it pulic???

ULTRAlite
04-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Just wondering if anyone has any info on the lake that's in the picture below. It's close to the hwy1 / hwy 40 corner. Can't seem to find anything, and I've exhausted all my resources.

Google Maps Image (http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=4707+Vegas+Rd+NW,+Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+A lberta&ll=51.095976,-114.966602&spn=0.051316,0.153637&t=h&z=13)

Any info??
PM if preferred

dmckay
04-23-2010, 03:36 PM
If it's the one to the west of where 40 meets 68, I believe it's Barrier Lake. Hope that helps.

Xplorer
04-23-2010, 04:06 PM
Hey Guys,

Isn't that Chiniki lake, its on the Stoney Indian reserve so I don't think it has public access but I might be wrong.

ULTRAlite
04-23-2010, 04:30 PM
If it's the one to the west of where 40 meets 68, I believe it's Barrier Lake. Hope that helps.

Not Barrier - although it's close ;)

Chiniki Lake is bang on - just did a google search under that name and it's a match. No info on whether it's accessible by the general public or not though. Any further info??

whitewolf
04-23-2010, 05:05 PM
ya thats out by sibbald flats....not sure of the name but i dont think its public

jts1
04-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Nope thats on Native land You might drag up more than a fish from the depths of that place.

jeremytym
04-23-2010, 05:25 PM
its Chiniki lake being from there ill tell you there are trout and white fish a lot of sucker's. any other questions pm me:D

-JR-
04-23-2010, 07:06 PM
That's Menotellyou lake .

JimPS
04-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Nope thats on Native land You might drag up more than a fish from the depths of that place.

Rumor had it at the time there were lake trout in there at one time. That may be true because I understand it is very deep in places.
Years ago there was an old medicine man that lived on the shores of Chiniki Lake. I heard it from a few people that he could make himself disappear. I asked him what the fishing was like in the lake and he told I should not fish there because of the "Maskinaw".
That was enough to scare me away.

Cheers
Jim

S.A.S
04-26-2010, 12:55 PM
Rumor had it at the time there were lake trout in there at one time. That may be true because I understand it is very deep in places.
Years ago there was an old medicine man that lived on the shores of Chiniki Lake. I heard it from a few people that he could make himself disappear. I asked him what the fishing was like in the lake and he told I should not fish there because of the "Maskinaw".
That was enough to scare me away.

Cheers
Jim

The path of souls? That is rather interesting.

The Fisherman Guy
04-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Just curious, is this the lake that is visible from the highway? The one with the tiny dock on the SE side? I always assumed it was a slough.

critter
04-26-2010, 10:15 PM
This is lake Chiniki. I have fished it around 100 times.. Lotsa brookies. Doesnt get much deeper than 30 feet. Lots of mud flats and freshwater springs.. Not even close to being public. Its a ways onto the native reserve, and ill just say that unless you know someone who lives there, you could get shot if you try fishing there voluntarily lol:scared: seriously tho, unless you befriend the fella who lives beside it, theres no way to fish it.. and thats not an easy task. i bring him beer, chicken, and chips every time i go... bottom line is - you can not fish it. great lake tho

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/coyote005/fish0003.jpg?t=1272343793
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/coyote005/fish0005.jpg?t=1272343812

Kingfisher
04-27-2010, 01:50 AM
You guys are right it's Chiniki Lake. I was fishing Ghost Lake a few years ago and this young native guy about 18 or so, came over and wanted to know if I had caught any fish. We chatted for a while as I was packing up. Eventually I asked him where he was from and where the heck he was going to. He said he lived on the reserve and was walking home. So I told him to hop in the truck and I'd give him a ride home. On the way home he told me about Chiniki Lake. I told him I had never even heard of it before. So we went for a drive and he gave me the grand tour. We even went around the east end of the lake. Man that road leaves a lot to be desired.

He told me to call any time I wanted to go out. But I lost his name and number. Oh well.

Rob

JimPS
04-27-2010, 09:12 AM
This is lake Chiniki. I have fished it around 100 times.. Lotsa brookies. Doesnt get much deeper than 30 feet. Lots of mud flats and freshwater springs.. Not even close to being public. Its a ways onto the native reserve, and ill just say that unless you know someone who lives there, you could get shot if you try fishing there voluntarily lol:scared: seriously tho, unless you befriend the fella who lives beside it, theres no way to fish it.. and thats not an easy task. i bring him beer, chicken, and chips every time i go... bottom line is - you can not fish it. great lake tho

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/coyote005/fish0003.jpg?t=1272343793
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v491/coyote005/fish0005.jpg?t=1272343812

Nice fish you got there Critter.
The guy I know that lives on the shore of the lake now (they call him "The Bear") probably can't tell the difference between a laker and a brookie. He can get me in there to fish but he still needs to let a whole lot of people know about it. I don't think it's worth the trouble of a confrontation with somebody over. There's lots of good people out there but you sure don't want to cross any of the bad-asses.

Cheers

- Jim