PDA

View Full Version : Bait hooks?

Geezle
04-24-2010, 07:11 AM
So somewhere along the line I lost my little tackle box that had all my snelled hooks, as well as some other random little bits, so BBJ got me on the idea of tying my own snelled hooks.

So I got the tying figured out, but then I got thinking about the hooks.

The snelled hooks I was buying last year were the Falcon Tackle ones, and the hooks they used were baitholder hooks, with the two little rear facing barbs on the shank to hold your bait in place.

So I got a couple packs of those, but then I got to thinking about last year and I recall a couple of these hooks snapping off.

So now I'm thinking I should get some better hooks, but I'm not sure what would be best to use. There are TONS of different styles out there with different purposes, though I'm sure just about any type would work.

So what type of hook do you guys like to use for baitfishing, and why?

If it makes any difference I usually fish in the NSR, so there's the potential to catch almost anything.

DarkAisling
04-24-2010, 07:34 AM
I can't answer your question, but I've looked at those baitholder hooks before without purchasing them. Wouldn't we have to flatten the barbs that hold the bait on as well?

Geezle
04-24-2010, 07:36 AM
I can't answer your question, but I've looked at those baitholder hooks before without purchasing them. Wouldn't we have to flatten the barbs that hold the bait on as well?

Nope, the little rear facing barbs on the shank are legal :)

I really do like using those hooks, but the quality of the Falcon Tackle ones is a little suspect. I only checked at TFH and the Falcon ones were the only baitholders they had...if I poke around WSS or somewhere else I may find something that's a little better quality...?

DarkAisling
04-24-2010, 07:51 AM

And we're sure about this? I do really want some of those hooks if I don't have the crush the bait-holding barbs :)

I really do like using those hooks, but the quality of the Falcon Tackle ones is a little suspect. I only checked at TFH and the Falcon ones were the only baitholders they had...if I poke around WSS or somewhere else I may find something that's a little better quality...?

I find that a lot of the Falcon Tackle stuff looks really cheap. I've only tried their snap swivels and leaders, though.

BPS has a great selection of hooks, but I know that doesn't help you much :o

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?hvarSearchString=baitholder&searchOption=products&x=0&y=0&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO&scSearched=true

(If you can't find what you want, I can go shopping in BPS for you and ship them up. I'm 10 minutes from the store).

bushnell
04-24-2010, 09:27 AM
Geezle, I would suggest you double check about the bait holder barbs. We have been checked on the river more than once and they checked for "all" barbs . As far as the hooks are concerned Falcon tackle they are junk,I have preferance to Ealgle Claw hooks,and if I tie my own rigs use Gamagatsu.

thorne
04-24-2010, 09:40 AM
Well this really got me thinking...was told when this barbless reg first came into effect that shaft bait holders were ok.

Barbless Hook – includes a hook the barbs of which are pressed against the shaft of the hook so that the barbs are not functional.

...but after reading the exact defination of the regs...ill be bending mine back...maybe different officers have different opinions, but i do not want to meet the guy in a bad mood and according to the black and white defination...those are functional barbs...

Fishfinder
04-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Sry to hear about ur loss Geezle, that sux. O well, look at it this way, u have evolved as a fisherman now, u are tying ur own hooks.:) I should too but I'm too lazy. Personally I don't think the bait holding barbs make much of a difference but I do throw them on occasionally when the rivers running fast. Can't recall the brand though sry. Will check next time I pick some up.
DarkAisling, in regards to the legality of these hooks, my understanding too, is that they are 100% legal to use. Of course u have to bend the main barb, but the lil baitholder ones are totally legit to use.:)

luckyme
04-24-2010, 10:35 AM
bait hooks? i used gamakatsu octopus or owner mosquito hook.they both are lethal,if you pinch the barb;it's easy in easy out, you just make sure had a tight line.i used mustad and eagle claw/lazer sharp before the different is gamakatsu and owner has smaller diameter in the same size hook and cost a bit more but it's never fails me Jay.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
04-24-2010, 02:24 PM
Like Geezle use to buy pre tied snells , were quick and easy to use and cheep to buy . BUT JUNK , last year I had I would say 2 or 3 packages the hook snap . Its to bad a Quality shop like the fishing hole would sell such a shotty item . So now Tie my own with some Maxima line and Bait holder hooks or whatever I might choose to use . Easy and far cheaper than buying Eagle claw hooks . Stick with quality like gamakatsu hooks or Mustad .

Geezle
04-24-2010, 09:26 PM
And we're sure about this? I do really want some of those hooks if I don't have the crush the bait-holding barbs :)

I find that a lot of the Falcon Tackle stuff looks really cheap. I've only tried their snap swivels and leaders, though.

BPS has a great selection of hooks, but I know that doesn't help you much :o

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchResults?hvarSearchString=baitholder&searchOption=products&x=0&y=0&storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&CMID=TOP_SEARCH_GO&scSearched=true

(If you can't find what you want, I can go shopping in BPS for you and ship them up. I'm 10 minutes from the store).

I took a look and I can't find any specific literature in regards to the baitholder barbs, but I've been checked several times by different fish cops while fishing out at the river and they've never said a word about them. Might have to contact F&W for the final word, but I've always *heard* they were okay. :o

Also Shelley, thanks for offering to pick me some hooks up from BPS, I really appreciate it :) Really though I'm sure it'll end up being a minor hassle and I'm sure if I look around here hard enough I can find some good quality baitholders around here, or if nothing else find a good alternative :)

From now on I'm going to avoid the Falcon stuff, and like BBJ said, it's a pity that TFH carries such a low quality product. I understand that the Falcon stuff is cheap, and that's what some people want, but I mean really, even the better quality terminal tackle isn't all *that* expensive. From now on I'll be spending the bit extra to get a better quality product :)

Also John, I forgot to ask, what lb test line are you using to snell your hooks?

buckmaster
04-24-2010, 11:09 PM
Jay, i use "southbend" baitholder hooks from walmart and never had any problems with them breaking!

Geezle
04-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Jay, i use "southbend" baitholder hooks from walmart and never had any problems with them breaking!

Really? I've always written the Southbend stuff off as being lower quality, but I've honestly never used any of it. Do you use the snelled ones, or do you just get a box of the hooks and tie them up yourself?

The Falcon hooks I've both broken off on snags, and I've had a couple snap off when I'm squishing down the barbs.

Paul C
04-25-2010, 12:30 PM

I buy # 12 bait hooks from my supplier in edmonton. The are the eagle claw. Happy Wishin ( fishin ) Jay. Falcon tackle is just another company brand name owned by fh. There is lots of tackle coming from china and it is repackaged and sold under another brand name. It is hard to find canadian made tackle in edmonton. There are a few shops that start from raw materials to say it is proudly canadian made. BBJ makes his own gear and so do I.:wave:

Geezle
04-25-2010, 03:00 PM
After a small amount of looking I found Mustad baitholder hooks at Cambodian Tire :cool:

Fishfinder
04-25-2010, 05:40 PM
After a small amount of looking I found Mustad baitholder hooks at Cambodian Tire :cool:

Understand the anger for Canadian Tire. But is the Cambodia bashing really neccessary??

Paul C
04-26-2010, 09:50 AM
X2 you funny.:lol: