PDA

View Full Version : Shore fishing

ShoreAngler
04-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Where is a good place to shore fish, just moved back to Calagry Dont mind driving to a good place.

I know the bow is one, but i have no clue where to go, and i dont have a fly rod, if that helps.

Thanks/

thorne
04-24-2010, 10:11 AM
Well I think you hit he best one on the head! The bow offers some of the best fishing around Cal, and you do not need a fly rod. I have pulled great browns and rainbows out of there...mepps #2 red and white commet with a hackle or a minnow has proven deadly..also spoons and smaller rainbow floating repallas, wire worms for whites....also the glenmore res has provided me with great browns and alot of pike and burbs...head to the sailing club and throw out a minnow rig, or worms and wait. A bit late now, but if you just use a worm witha few split shots a few feet up and pitch it on the edge of the ice when there is that 10-20 feet of clear water from the ice and shore...and pull it off the ice and let it sink...man those hungey monsters just hammer it!! One of my favourite spots was Edworthy Parkl...walk down to the river , turn right and down to the outlet. I use to be there just as sun up and pull some awsome trout out of there on the mepps...i also pulled a 22lb pike out of there direstly across the river from there on the north side...was just fishing for trout, but the pike decided he wanted the trout more then me...22lber on an ultralite rig in the bow in june...it was awsmome!!

luckyme
04-24-2010, 10:58 AM
thorne which ssection of the bow did you go using minnow or wire worm,i thought no bait allowed and only maggot, no wonder i missed alot of actions:lol:
most open water near calgary will open may 9th,mcgregor lake,travers,chestemere lake and crawling valey to name few.others may add some more.

BobLoblaw
04-24-2010, 11:20 AM
thorne which ssection of the bow did you go using minnow or wire worm,i thought no bait allowed and only maggot, no wonder i missed alot of actions:lol:
most open water near calgary will open may 9th,mcgregor lake,travers,chestemere lake and crawling valey to name few.others may add some more.

Go back & read Thorne's post again; he was talking about using minnows in Glenmore Reservoir...
As for the Bow, make sure you check the regulations regarding the section you're going to fish; some sections are closed for parts of the year.

thorne
04-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Ya kinda got my wires crossed. I was actualy refering to the rubber mepps minnows...Real minnows for the res..and yes be sure to check the regs for which sections are open..my apoligies for any confusion..I actually live in edmonton now and haven't been to the bow in a few years..the NSR is ok, but nothing like those Bow trout...man I miss that!

luckyme
04-24-2010, 01:17 PM
my bad!you right steve.thanks to straight that out too thorne.hope see ya in the water.

WayneChristie
04-24-2010, 03:24 PM
Thorne I grew up fishing that hole in the Bow across from Edworthy. Never saw any pike but some nice burbs and trout. Lots of whitefish and suckers too. Long before they built the footbridge.

thorne
04-24-2010, 04:29 PM
Ya its a nice hole! I actually called the F&W the day after I caught it...since it grabbed a trout I had hooked I didn't dare keep it as I wouldn't want to be charged with fishing with live sport fish! Anyway they said pike that size were xtremely uncommon, and over 5 years fishing that hole, thats the only pike I ever saw...so not sure what he was doing there, or where he went, but man he gave me one of the best fights I have had for almost 45 minutes...actually had to jump in the water and chase him down stream...ya brrrrrrr.. had at least 6 people watching chasing me along the bank..one guy grabbed my tackle box for me, another guy offered to run home and grab a net, must of been quite a show! me in the river up to my chest bobbing along being towed by a large pike....after I finally got him to shore, I was trying to get that little #2 mepps out of the side of his face...if he would have swolled it he would have bitten through that fireline in an instant...he grabbed my hand and left me with some nice war wounds across the back of my right hand...he almost made the frying pan after that! Just wish I had a pic.....but camera phones were not exactly common back in 93...

ShoreAngler
04-24-2010, 05:50 PM
has any been here?

Legacy Island? if so is it a good place?

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4116660

Or Carseland Weir?

Brian_levesque
04-25-2010, 05:07 PM
If you dont mind fishing with half of Calgary you should try Glenmore Res.