PDA

View Full Version : Any Rainbows left in Upper K?

critter
04-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Hey i am aware that rainbow stocking quit in 2002, and in 2006/2007 the lake was gillnettet to conform over to a primary bull trout fishery, but just wondering if there are any reports of rainbows still being caught here? You would think that there wouldnt be many, but there should be the odd real big one that made it through, no?

Kingfisher
04-25-2010, 12:39 AM
The bulls have taken over. The lake has gone down hill since the introduction of the bulls. Sure you can still catch the odd rainbow. But the bulls cleaned up the small stocked rainbows rather quickly. The rainbows that are left have to compete with the bulls for food and the bulls are pigs. With no vegetation to speak of in that lake, there is not too much aquatic life. So the bulls eat anything that moves.

Rob

DANOMAN
04-25-2010, 04:08 AM
I have fished upper k and have had good luck with rainbows so yes there are still a lot of rainbows............we used to drill 2 auger holes because the rainbows were so big had a hard time getting them thru the hole........ fish right by the island look for dropoffs and structure :D

kingfisher you sure you not talking about lower k because lower k has tonnes of bully's i never got a buly out of upper k >?

fishstix
04-25-2010, 08:07 AM
According to srd, upper k has had 14000 cutts stocked last season and 6300 bulls it didnt say anything about bows tho. Lower k had 20000 cutts stocked last year.

Fishstix!!

jts1
04-25-2010, 08:50 AM
I have fished upper k and have had good luck with rainbows so yes there are still a lot of rainbows............we used to drill 2 auger holes because the rainbows were so big had a hard time getting them thru the hole........ fish right by the island look for dropoffs and structure :D

kingfisher you sure you not talking about lower k because lower k has tonnes of bully's i never got a buly out of upper k >?

Have seen schools of up to 60-80 of them swimming the shore line. They are there 100%

goldscud
04-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Lots of Cutts in Upper Kan as well.

FishingForLife
04-25-2010, 09:54 AM
Upper Kananaskis Lake is a Rainbow Trout Fishery, so of course they're gonna be Rainbows in there, and lots of them.
You must be talkin about Lower K, thats the Bull Fishery.

seahawkfisher
04-25-2010, 09:56 AM
not to hijack but what are the boating restrictions on those 2 lakes and how/are there any boat launches??
thanx

75ft Arborist
04-25-2010, 10:11 AM
IMO Upper K was one of the best Bow lakes around. Then someone had a bright idea to help out the Bulls:mad3: Good luck catching any Bow out of Upper K. Even the Cutts they stock it with now are pretty much bait for the Bulls. There was a time when the lake was scattered with ppl ice fishing. Now the only sound you hear is from the hikers snowshoeing around the lake.

critter
04-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Im with 75ft Arborist on this one.. Ive ice fished it many times in hopes of getting some big bows, but only came up with the standard 4 pound bull trout and some nice cutts.. Tho the cutts are fat and fight well, i really miss the lake that was once an amazing rainbow trout fishery.

@ FishingForLife - Upper K is NOT a rainbow trout fishery. it used to be a great one, but they stopped stocking rainbows in 2002...

@ DANOMAN - thats good news if its true.. is this in the last year or so? I myself have fished there many times lately with no luck..

IMO, Lower K is the best spot to catch a big bow these days.. Got acouple this year around 7 lbs. I have attached a poster of the UPPer K lake gillnetting results.. i didnt really find the info much useful as i didnt know how to interpret it but anyway..

Scott N
04-25-2010, 10:50 AM
Upper Kananaskis Lake is a Rainbow Trout Fishery, so of course they're gonna be Rainbows in there, and lots of them.
You must be talkin about Lower K, thats the Bull Fishery.

They don't stock rainbows in the upper lake any more, and haven't for a few years.

Buck Krazy
04-25-2010, 11:48 AM
I hate bull trout!!!!!!!!!!!

madatter
04-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Never fished either of the lakes but anybody have any tips on fishing em in open water??
Where to fish.....what to use....
Actually are they open yet??
Not too fussy about species so a big bull trout is fine with me.....

critter
04-25-2010, 08:20 PM
i dont have any tips for Upper K as im not a fan of the lake anymore.. They are still frozen, im still ice fishing em.... early to mid may they should start to open up. Lower K, fish the interlakes end where the water flows in, use leech patterns, nothing fancy, just a subtle small black leech. Take a boat out there and anchor in 25-30 feet of water in the flow, and wetline with leeches. I never fish with anything else.