PDA

View Full Version : Upper Kananaskis boat / camping rules

jusfloatin
04-25-2010, 10:36 AM
Good day to all.
I was wondering if anyone has boat/camped the upper Kananaskis, the reason I ask is I have a pontoon boat that is large enough to put a small tent on and carry a barbeque.
My intent is to put the tent up on the pontoon after a days fishing and anchor up in a nice little cove but I am curious if a person can just run the boat onto shore and camp on shore in a nice little cove.

Has anyone done this or something similar.

How is the boat launch out there?

sheephunter
04-25-2010, 10:39 AM
In a Provincial Park you are required to camp at a designated campground. I'm not sure what they'd say about camping on the pontoon boat.

75ft Arborist
04-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Boat lunch is well maintained, pavement followed by concrete blocks. As for random camping it is a provincial park, and you might get a ticket. Also i believe there is no overnight parking in those lots. But don't quote me on that. However there is a walk-in campsite at the far end of the lake where the river comes in, with sites right on shore. So one could park in the designated area, and tie there boat to shore at their campsite :)

jusfloatin
04-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Bummer that's one thing in my weekend get-away plan I was not thinking of.

A safe place to leave the truck and trailer.

Albertadiver
04-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Your best bet would be to camp at 'The Point', it's a nice little backcountry campground you can purchase a permit for on the Upper K lake. Lots of people canoe over instead of hike.

Another option for you would be Jewel Bay on Barrier Lake. Quiet cove you can pull your boat onto.

Both lakes get very windy, so be careful.