PDA

View Full Version : Crowsnest Lake or Island Lake

Mark
04-26-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm thinking about planning a trip to the Crowsnest pass. I was wondering if anybody has had much experience fishing Crowsnest Lake or Island Lake in the spring. Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

the holster
04-26-2010, 04:54 PM
I have spoken to many anglers and they all have the same sad tale to report. For some unknown reason, Crowsnest Lake is a poor fishery. You would expect things to be dramatically different when you see how good the river itself is. My guess is Island lake is your best bet.
the holster

howlin
04-26-2010, 05:05 PM
i was at island a couple days ago ,no water ,ive never seen it that low.i got skunked shore fishing both places ,get a boat for any luck.

jts1
04-26-2010, 05:08 PM
I have fished back side of Crowsnest many a time. Start behind Bible camp where the stream comes in and work my way along the tracks to the "cave sort of thing that the small water fall comes out of" As my wife calls it. Have had good and bad days But yes there are better fisheries in the area

jrs
04-26-2010, 05:10 PM
There are fish in both but you'll have far better luck choosing lower elevation lakes in that area this time of year.

Badback
04-26-2010, 08:34 PM
I have fished back side of Crowsnest many a time. Start behind Bible camp where the stream comes in and work my way along the tracks to the "cave sort of thing that the small water fall comes out of" As my wife calls it. Have had good and bad days But yes there are better fisheries in the area

Just one piece of advice...if you walk along the tracks, keep an eye out for bears…The grizzly’s walk along the tracks looking for animals that get hit by the trains…I have never seen one but a few of the locals have pictures of them around the cave area…Since it is spring they will be quite active around that area…

Mark
04-27-2010, 01:23 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to be fishing from a boat, so I guess I'll be watching out for the wind, and just watching the bears. :)
We're actually going to spending most of the time at Beaver Mines, but thought a change of scenery for one day would be nice.

Anybody with more info would be great.

Thanks

Kingfisher
04-27-2010, 01:38 PM
If your around Beaver mines, there is always Lees Lake and Beauvais Lake for a change. In my honest opinion both would be better options than Crowsnest or Island.

Rob

Mark
04-29-2010, 01:59 PM
Thanks guys I'll definately keep those in mind.

Fishfull Thinker..
04-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Caught many small lakers using white jigs on crowsnest,but don't get to comfortable with calm conditions had many horrible trips back to the boat launch.The wind can come out of nowhere as you probable know never seen a lake that choppy..boat safe.

fish-man
04-29-2010, 02:50 PM

x2.

I've caught a lot of fish there, but small ones. Big lakers are present but I've never got one. The area is beautiful, but if you are going specifically to fish that probably isn't the place to go.