PDA

View Full Version : Dont Tell Your Spots

KyleM
04-26-2010, 10:33 PM
Yet another post on this, I apologize.

After reading some of the posts and threads on this subject I have come to realize that some of us as anglers are living in some sort of magical fantasy land. For the few of you who still refuse to believe that posting specific information will ruin a lake, I suggest you view some of the other forums over the internet.

Many websites have set-up "Rules" for posting fishing reports. They encourage a fishing report but no location. Whats the problem with this?
The more important question is why have they done this? Its because lakes have been destroyed by overfishing, garbage, and LAZY fisherman.

Half the work in fishing is finding spots, you are not an angler if you punch in a GPS tag and watch your screen.

Why cant AOF have a rule like this? The fishing pressure in this province is extremely high on what lakes are here. Ontario has tons of lakes and yet Ontariofishing.net imposes a rule such as the one I stated.

We are living in the past here, we better smarten up with the resource before its gone. Dont say it wont happen, there are many lakes that this has already happened to.

uicehole
04-26-2010, 11:18 PM
I totally agree. All of the smaller fisheries just can't handle the pressure. You might include a hint or two of its general location (eg. east of Calgary) to encourage exploration and hope but definitely leave out the name of the waterbody.

WaterSkeeter
04-26-2010, 11:21 PM
I agree KyleM, I posted pictures the other day and guys wanted to see the angler and the spot, but I said the reason why I blocked out faces and background. There my special spots for a reason, and it doesn't take much to ruin a good spot.

critter
04-26-2010, 11:29 PM
I agree with Kyle, however if specifics are not given, i believe its ok. For example, the big laker i got out of spray.. i dont beleive that is a big deal, as no one knows where on that massive lake i caught it, and worst case scenario, a few more ppl go out and get their pan fry.. When it comes to stocked trout ponds around calgary (Bonavista, Sundance, Arbour) i dont think it matters either, as it is not open to the general public, and they are stocked for that reason, for people to put and take. If the lake is not open to the general public and is on an indian reserve or inaccessible chunk of land, i also dont think its a real big deal. Posting pictures of nice fish from a remote lake with no details as to what lake they were caught in is also ok, as guessing a location relative to landmarks and certain trees is extremely difficult/impossible to do. Just wondering exactly what posts are really concerning you kyle?

Gary K
04-26-2010, 11:41 PM
I agree. Even though I'm new to the provience. I went to carburn park on a walk. Didn't bring my gear andthe buzz alone on this fourm is enough to collapse this small pond fishery

fishnut9
04-26-2010, 11:44 PM
You guys do know that you are part of the problem as well right. I doubt all of you catch and release.

Gary K
04-26-2010, 11:53 PM
I just have seen many lakes back home go dead. This site is great for info but when people post the hotspots they die. I have no problem with people talking about lakes and what to use there. It's the. " lake whatever has a ton of fish... It's nonstop action". Well it does stop. When the fishery collapses. I'm not saying to not share info. Just keep it s little lower key

jts1
04-27-2010, 12:36 AM
I take it with my Google Map with over 130 00 lookies and my 100% opposite view I wont be on the Xmas list. The idea of taking your knowledge to the grave is to me one from the dark ages. I believe sharing as much as you can , locations included "dont get me wrong every man has to have a hunny hole or two for himself" is fundamental in providing a sustainable fishery for the future. I have helped out some first time fishermen and old birds who have forgot more than I will ever know. I have driven to a strangers home and gave him my own personal gear just to find out if this thing we all love called fishing is for him. Because that feeling I get when the drag sings or when the surface of the water is broken by a wonderful explosion of man vs fish.I want everyone to feel that. Because I am a believer that more than not will respect the fishery so he may enjoy it for many more trips. And maybe just maybe pass on something I showed him to the next generation. Will there be the few who poach , pollute and generally dont give a crap , Sure there will be. But they are far out numbered by responsible fishermen such as yourselves. So till they put my fat ars in the ground I will be out there bringing new and old fishermen alike to a hunny hole near you. :tongue2:

CanadianEh
04-27-2010, 01:13 AM
Perhaps what you do in a situation like this is have a separate forum channel for such location sensitive fishing reports.

Ie... maybe you restrict access to contributing members and need to have minimum 250 posts to access and read that forum, maybe more.. I dunno.

Generally the people you are trying to keep from accessing the knowledge that you have; are not going to spend the time to post 250 messages on this forum.. and are the same ones who will go destroy such great fishing lakes. They are googling for a quick honey hole location, make an account do a search and presto locations all over the board. I can see why no one would want to distribute fishing reports and locations, including myself. they are the ones who do not want to spend the time and effort to get the reward.

I maybe naive, But i think most longer term contributing members I have talked to on this board are very much about conservation, catch and release 95% -100% of the time, yet also enjoy giving tips and helping each other. I believe if people spend a significant amount of time to make a post, tell a fishing tale or perhaps are looking for or looking to give a little help; Over time and posting messages they get to know people on the board and people know them.. they are far less likely to abuse the benifit of reading specific location fishing reports.

Like JTS said... there will always be a few bad apples... but they will be very few and far between if they contribute and post so much on the forum.

Just an idea... but it seems to make sense for both sides of the argument.

Shmag
04-27-2010, 02:07 AM

After reading some of the posts and threads on this subject I have come to realize that some of us as anglers are living in some sort of magical fantasy land. For the few of you who still refuse to believe that posting specific information will ruin a lake, I suggest you view some of the other forums over the internet.

Many websites have set-up "Rules" for posting fishing reports. They encourage a fishing report but no location. Whats the problem with this?
The more important question is why have they done this? Its because lakes have been destroyed by overfishing, garbage, and LAZY fisherman.

Half the work in fishing is finding spots, you are not an angler if you punch in a GPS tag and watch your screen.

Why cant AOF have a rule like this? The fishing pressure in this province is extremely high on what lakes are here. Ontario has tons of lakes and yet Ontariofishing.net imposes a rule such as the one I stated.

We are living in the past here, we better smarten up with the resource before its gone. Dont say it wont happen, there are many lakes that this has already happened to.

AMEN brother AMEN!!!

Just keeping my post to a couple line's as the ones that disagree on this subject like to read between the lines and argue about something they think they read.:wave:

MK2750
04-27-2010, 06:43 AM
The vast majority of environmental damage is done by those that are completely oblivious to the creatures we share the planet with. These weekend warriors have heard a call to the bush but lack any understanding of how fragile it is.

AO magazine and the forum give us an opportunity to educate these people on the importance of conservation rather than having them run wildly a field as if it is their personal recreation area.

Success (whether it be hunting or fishing) dramatically increases the enjoyment level for a newbie or wantabie and the vast majority are quick to gain a respect for the resources we all enjoy. A lack of success often sours a person and creates an “us and them” mentality about a sport they don’t clearly understand.

When important political issues arise only those that understand and enjoy hunting and fishing with stand up and fight against the “liberal ideology” that truly threatens our heritage.

Take every opportunity to welcome new comers and also take the time to educate them on conservation. Make every effort to show them success and the allies we gain will insure the future of hunting and fishing, not destroy it.

fish on
04-27-2010, 06:52 AM
PCR was hit hard this winter. I went early and late notice a huge decline in the burbot

KyleM
04-27-2010, 07:01 AM
Conservation has everything to do with this thread.

I dont feel that giving away spots promotes conservation, it promotes another way to be lazy in this day and age.

Part of our sport requires one to be unsuccessful to actually call it fishing.
If we always went out and caught fish, it would be called catching not fishing.

Nobody disputes that helping out a newbie to the sport is a good idea. Its the posting on a WORLD WIDE WEB thats the bad idea. Why not ask for some help in the forum and if one feels the need to help, they may PM the person with the specifics.

honda450
04-27-2010, 07:11 AM
Myself I find it more rewarding to find my own spots whether it be hunting or fishing. Ya sometimes put alot of time in for spots that I think may be good and I get skunked and move on. Never have took anything I have read on this forum and said well I gotta go there. Ain't my style.

Yes I have my spots and I do not publish them. I found them, now you find them.

Just have fun on exploring, thats alot of fun in itself. To me anyhow. :wave:

Izumi
04-27-2010, 08:46 AM
I agree Kyle.

I think alot of the Problem has to do with the number fo trolls.

Today:
176 members and 187 guests

You should have to join to forum to read the forum. Too many people just out too leech and give nothing back.

JTS' map highlights this! Look how many people on that thread have 1 post. The 1 post to request the map. I'm with the Sask boys on that map...

iliketrout
04-27-2010, 08:56 AM
I like the idea of limiting guests to a certain number or percentage of on-line members, but I don't think you will see that happen. This forum generates revenue by advertising like any other forum on the internet. If you limit the number of guests, you limit the number of potential customers for the advertisers...so they pay less money, the forum generates less revenue to the point where it's not sustainable etc.

Maybe restricting guest would cause more people to join, maybe it wouldn't...who knows. Unfortunately with a free forum, we're stuck with leeches.

catnthehat
04-27-2010, 09:02 AM
If I don't want anyone to know something , I don't post about it.
if I have to block out my face or the location, I don't [post the picture, simple as that.
We don't need a "no posting location " rule, we need to use some dicretion, that is all.
Cat

spopadyn
04-27-2010, 09:29 AM
I absolutely agree with JTS on this. We have beat this mule to death. Here is the problem: all you people who don't want to share info shouldn't be on this forum. Simple as that. You are a hypocrite and you should be ashamed of all of your sanctimonous preaching. Why are you here? Who has violated anything that BELONGS TO YOU? These are all public resources and we all share in the responsibility of paying our taxes and maintaining them. It seems to me you have no problem with the general public paying to stock lakes and maintain fisheries - you just don't believe they should know where to fish. Give it a rest. This is not about conservation - this is about elitism. And I really like this "lets restrict access to the trollers". Why don't all you smart C&R secret fishermen form your own website and share your secrets there. Oh, I forgot, you also like AOF to provide a free forum to you - but only just a select few. Again, what hypocrites.

jts1
04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
I agree Kyle.

I think alot of the Problem has to do with the number fo trolls.

Today:
176 members and 187 guests

You should have to join to forum to read the forum. Too many people just out too leech and give nothing back.

JTS' map highlights this! Look how many people on that thread have 1 post. The 1 post to request the map. I'm with the Sask boys on that map...

Yes but that is the basic idea of the map. Anyone can view it and anyone can feel free to post a location. It is not mandatory that if you view my map you need to post a location that is up to each viewer. If you have a spot you want to keep private then great so be it. But the simple fact is that there is no such thing as a spot only you know about. So when someone els puts up your "secret location" Take it with a grain of salt. I would love to show you some of the feed back I have got from my map and things I have done to help other anglers. Right from letters that would make the hardest man shed a tear , to the ugly threats I have got because there top secrete hole or lake has been posted. You would be amazed and ashamed at how fast a adult responsible angler can turn into an ignorant child on a rant stomping there feet because they dont want to share... This aint grade school and our fisheries are not your toys. They belong to each and everyone of us. And in turn its our obligation to promote and sustain it for many more generations to come. I wonder how many of you that dont agree with my map have snuck a peek from time to time.. hmmmmmmmmm

iliketrout
04-27-2010, 09:48 AM
Yes but that is the basic idea of the map. Anyone can view it and anyone can feel free to post a location. It is not mandatory that if you view my map you need to post a location that is up to each viewer. If you have a spot you want to keep private then great so be it. But the simple fact is that there is no such thing as a spot only you know about. So when someone els puts up your "secret location" Take it with a grain of salt. I would love to show you some of the feed back I have got from my map and things I have done to help other anglers. Right from letters that would make the hardest man shed a tear , to the ugly threats I have got because there top secrete hole or lake has been posted. You would be amazed and ashamed at how fast a adult responsible angler can turn into an ignorant child on a rant stomping there feet because they dont want to share... This aint grade school and our fisheries are not your toys. They belong to each and everyone of us. And in turn its our obligation to promote and sustain it for many more generations to come. I wonder how many of you that dont agree with my map have snuck a peek from time to time.. hmmmmmmmmm

Well said Jeff. I agree with the map idea, I think it is great. Yes I have used it as well. Does this make me lazy though, I don't think so.

I also think a PM goes a long way if you want more information on a particular spot. They increased our inbox limit size so there's no reason not to use them. I've used PM's both to help someone or to see if someone wanted to give me a nudge in the right direction.

The problem I have with leeches is not the fact that a secret spot became public. I think if you are looking for help and are helped, maybe the favor could go the other way as well.

Redfrog
04-27-2010, 09:54 AM
If I don't want anyone to know something , I don't post about it.
if I have to block out my face or the location, I don't [post the picture, simple as that.
We don't need a "no posting location " rule, we need to use some dicretion, that is all.
Cat

How could that possibly work, Cat???:huh:

I say more rules and lots of them. That's the ticket.:evilgrin:

CanadianEh
04-27-2010, 09:56 AM
Conservation has everything to do with this thread.

I dont feel that giving away spots promotes conservation, it promotes another way to be lazy in this day and age.

Part of our sport requires one to be unsuccessful to actually call it fishing.
If we always went out and caught fish, it would be called catching not fishing.

Nobody disputes that helping out a newbie to the sport is a good idea. Its the posting on a WORLD WIDE WEB thats the bad idea. Why not ask for some help in the forum and if one feels the need to help, they may PM the person with the specifics.

Kyle, if you read my post above what are your comments?? Personally i agree with both sides of the argument.

keep the open free fishing forum, but make a restricted sub category for members with say 250 posts or above.. that way no trollers or guests can read posts from that section. that pretty much eliminates 98% of the problem people you are arguing against. And helps to protect the information to legit conservation aware members.

Perhaps you are one of the few... but I guarantee you have been told about some good spots from time to time whether the information was on here or not. perhaps you have even searched for those tips or locations.

FishBrain
04-27-2010, 11:08 AM
If it wasn't for this forum, and some of the members on it, there is a good chance I would not be fishing. I joined this forum for hunting info. simply because I am a new hunter and thought this would be a great place to learn.
Shortly after joining, I got to meet some great people. These people took me out fishing, showed me what to do and what to use, gave me tips on where to go and what to look for. For that I am very grateful. Heck even my first ice rod was DONATED to me!!!!! (thanks Mish) and that got me hooked.
I dont go to new lakes very often as I have three kids and there is a good chance one comes with me. When I fish with my kids, I like to make sure that we can get somewhere, get setup and have them catching fish as fast as possible, that is what is going to help make them more concious about our resources. If we drive for hours looking for a lake, only to find out that it is dead or just a slough, they are going to not want to go, then in turn may not care about the resources that this province has to offer them and possibly not learn how to care for said resources.
So for the users of this forum to start removing lakes to go to, and what is possible of being caught in said lake, does not help anyone. Just because a lake is posted on THIS forum does not mean it is going to become crowded and killed. It means that MAYBE someone is going to find a new spot for them to fish in, and maybe they will be able to catch something different than what they were used to.
OH and yes, I was shown places to fish, and I have shown some new people places to fish. what comes around goes around.

superspud
04-27-2010, 11:26 AM
I agree with jts mostley on this one.

I like jts's map since it provides a large amount of information with many different locations that are spread out.
and really that map dosent provide to much information that isent general knowledge to a person that has been fishing alberta for a a few years.

the problem i have with posting about specific spots on this forum is that the pressure that can be created by this forum. on smaller creeks
though i dont have any evidence to back it up; I think that if you post
( 100 fish day on nose hill creek in calgary all over 15inch long)
in the subject box, and you post directions on how to get to that stretch of the river, then with in the next week you are gonna have way more pressure on a very small area. now of course that situation is not realistic on nose hill creek but you but that idea. and i think that increased preussure can definitly have adverse effects

im all for helping people out if ya want to shoot me a pm, but i definitly feel that information to mass amounts of people can hurt our smaller fisheries. post what you want, but moderation is that key

not saying that i dont use tips.
just recently i decided to fish near the glenmore bridge and have made good friends with the same brown 19.5 inch brown trout twice now!

olson308
04-27-2010, 11:39 AM
look at the numbers right now: 401 (161 members 240 guests)
Total members: 16,034

I have to be a member to post, but at work most times i'm a "guest" as i dont stay logged in on my work PC. I log-in to check messages, and once in a while to post something. but in most cases, i view the posts and learn from the conversations, and get some great ideas of where to start exploring for fishing. I usually dont put in my 2cents as i dont need to post on everything (which BTW, what would stop me from posting "i agree to ....." 250 times to get around the "limit") i like to read what other people think about on topics and get ideas for new tips or equipment, doesnt mean i need to post something.

what JTS put together for a map (which i added to) is a great resource. i live in Edmonton, and i like to see where i could go and know i could go fishing elsewhere and have a chance at successfull fishing, rather than exploring and getting skunked constantly. I posted some loactions as i beleive its a benefit to anglers to see what else is out there to get out and explore.

i understand people dont want their spots spoiled, so just dont put them out there. If it means that much to you, just tell people your rather keep it to yourself, and most people 'should' respect that. i would.

O.

Ken07AOVette
04-27-2010, 12:12 PM
We did a "LOOK WHAT I CAUGHT AT LAKE X" thread.

Sounds like that is what you guys are looking for, maybe search that.

Best way to handle it, is if you dont want to say anything, dont post.

Find a spot, use it, do whatever you want, but don't whine and moan if someone you tell tells someone else.

Is it really so difficult we need to invent new rules about post count?

I think anyone with a post count of under 1250 should not be able to start a thread like this :rolleye2:

jts1
04-27-2010, 12:18 PM
As an example because of this thread I have had request in PM's and on my map thread for access to it. Again I have sent them all out. But I recieved one reply back that I think some of you should read. When ever I send out my map I send this header along with it;

Here is the link to my map. I started it for myself to keep track of spots I had fished on the Bow above Gap Lake. It has since turned into something more with over 133,000 views. This map is a gathering of fishermen willing to share locations and help others enjoy this great sport we all love. There is no obligation to add locations , but feel free to share if you have something contribute.

I will ask that you respect all locations as if they were your own ,and Keep all of your posts detailed. GPS is a great idea to add to you posts. Any locations not named will be deleted I will try and send you a mesg granted you have created the Google map profile.

As well a Google Map profile will allow you to keep in touch with other collaborators on the map but is not necessary. But most of all Good Luck out there , and Stay Safe. If there is any problems or questions please feel free to send me a msg.

And the responce I got;

Thank you so much for adding me to your map, to be honest with you this is my second year hear in Alberta and I do not know much of the spots rather than what I heard from my friends and my coworkers , but this is my next step to examine these spots and I will participate with others through your handy map.

Be sure that I will use your map spots ethically and in profession manner.

Thanks again!

That is what sharing locations and information is all about.

I do agree that a small fishery could be wiped off the map if it was over exposed. But there is that odd chance that exposing it will at the same time allow some responsible anglers to protect and Cherish it as well. Left to its own eventually it will succumb to fishing pressure , pollution or what ever the case may be.

Izumi
04-27-2010, 12:38 PM

I'ts all about colaberation on information versus giving information away.

I think there are people, myself included, that think there are too many people looking to just take and there is just too little looking to share.

So I guess thats why the basic idea of your map is not well recieved by some people. The contrast explains itself, if i'm lazy and do ALL my "legwork" on the internet, i'm going to love you for your map. That being said, i'm certain there are a large number of legitimate users of your map, and I dont deny that. I just think from reading the thread and looking at the numbers associated with your map it is apparent it is been used more as a lazy mans tool.

I'm not protesting it, or asking you to take it down, or any of that jazz, but some you seem of you seem to be shocked or baffeled when it's not always well recieved, So i'm just giving you another perspective to think about.

Morph1
04-27-2010, 12:43 PM
fishing is so unpredictable, I would not giva a sh** about any map of fishing spots, I find satisfaction in finding my own fishing spots, and in regards to this thread I am also 100% with Kyle , besides this forum is not only for sharing where the bite is but also about equipment, tactics, knowledge, sceneries captured on photos etc, if you come down here and need a fishing map to go fishing you are a one lazy sob that does not deserve to be fishing.

JTS just look at Hasse lake description on your map , you seriously believe that all those entries on your map are true ???? I bet 75% of them are as misguiding as the info on Hasse, I appreciate your efforts though in making the map, obviously you are a very generous guy...,

last words in this thread, it does not matter where you go and how skilled you are and what awesome equipment you may have, or what info you may leach..., after all is about luck and mainly being at the right place at the right time......

jts1
04-27-2010, 12:48 PM
I just think from reading the thread and looking at the numbers associated with your map it is apparent it is been used more as a lazy mans tool.

I can not argue with you there. But it is not my position or my obligation to make a judgment call on if you have shown yourself as a responsible angler or a leach. I provide it now its up to them to do what they will.

JTS just look at Hasse lake description on your map , you seriously believe that all those entries on your map are true ???? I bet 75% of them are as misguiding as the info on Hasse

Myself I have never had the pleasure of fishing there so again this may be true. The results you get in a group of people such as the ones you will find on this forum are going to be good and bad when you apply the honor system on something like the map.

I would like to say one thing most threads such as these turn into a gong show with insults and cut downs being tossed around everywhere. You have all expressed your opinions and we have been able to keep this as it should be. A place to share them opinions without fear of being attacked. Good job guys..

Fishfinder
04-27-2010, 12:48 PM
Personally have no problem giving reports on any water body, but to reveal my fav spots on them same water bodies....not so much. Example- would gladly tell anyone the conditions and production at any lake/riv/res that I have recently visited but u gotta be perty special for me to tell ya where I like to go. I clean up enuff litter as it is:lol:(not directed at anyone here:innocent:)
IMO the best fishn holes are the ones I find on my own, through hrs of trial and error, bug bites and battered shins, and then...Finally finding a money spot. I aint about to give em away for free, I sure never got em for free!
Me 2 cents:)

spopadyn
04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
fishing is so unpredictable, I would not giva a sh** about any map of fishing spots, I find satisfaction in finding my own fishing spots, and in regards to this thread I am also 100% with Kyle , besides this forum is not only for sharing where the bite is but also about equipment, tactics, knowledge, sceneries captured on photos etc, if you come down here and need a fishing map to go fishing you are a one lazy sob that does not deserve to be fishing.

JTS just look at Hasse lake description on your map , you seriously believe that all those entries on your map are true ???? I bet 75% of them are as misguiding as the info on Hasse, I appreciate your efforts though in making the map, obviously you are a very generous guy...,

Funny how you are complaining about sharing info but from the sentence above - you have no problem using it. Tsk Tsk.

last words in this thread, it does not matter where you go and how skilled you are and what awesome equipment you may have, or what info you may leach..., after all is about luck and mainly being at the right place at the right time......

So much irony....

mooseknuckle
04-27-2010, 03:07 PM
I absolutely agree with JTS on this. We have beat this mule to death. Here is the problem: all you people who don't want to share info shouldn't be on this forum. Simple as that. You are a hypocrite and you should be ashamed of all of your sanctimonous preaching. Why are you here? Who has violated anything that BELONGS TO YOU? These are all public resources and we all share in the responsibility of paying our taxes and maintaining them. It seems to me you have no problem with the general public paying to stock lakes and maintain fisheries - you just don't believe they should know where to fish. Give it a rest. This is not about conservation - this is about elitism. And I really like this "lets restrict access to the trollers". Why don't all you smart C&R secret fishermen form your own website and share your secrets there. Oh, I forgot, you also like AOF to provide a free forum to you - but only just a select few. Again, what hypocrites.

I like this. Thank you. (golf clap) "now that's how you debate" Will farrell.

KyleM
04-27-2010, 04:50 PM
spopadyn, the fact that you believe this website is only for sharing info on fishing spots gives proof to my point. People come on here directly looking and thinking that its a spot to scoop up a spot to fish with no effort. As Morph said, there are many technical threads that help out new fisherman, you can also pair up and meet guys to fish with if your other fishing buddies are working.

JTS, this thread was not directed at you. I have never looked at the map. This is directed at those who will post a location and spot and whats biting on what. Iam not saying I agree with your map but Iam for sure not in a position to speak ill of it. This is a free country and you may say whatever you want but I really beg you guys to take a serious look at the situation at hand and honestly try to tell yourself that your making a positive difference to the conservation of our sport.

Like I said, getting skunked and going to lakes where the fishing is difficult is part of fishing. By taking the leg work out of the sport you open up all the decent lakes to the lazy.

Ofcourse I have gotten info on fishing spots, who hasnt? The difference is that its between me and the other person over a couple pops, not 500 other people listening behind the scenes.

WaterSkeeter
04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
spopadyn, the fact that you believe this website is only for sharing info on fishing spots gives proof to my point. People come on here directly looking and thinking that its a spot to scoop up a spot to fish with no effort. As Morph said, there are many technical threads that help out new fisherman, you can also pair up and meet guys to fish with if your other fishing buddies are working.

JTS, this thread was not directed at you. I have never looked at the map. This is directed at those who will post a location and spot and whats biting on what. Iam not saying I agree with your map but Iam for sure not in a position to speak ill of it. This is a free country and you may say whatever you want but I really beg you guys to take a serious look at the situation at hand and honestly try to tell yourself that your making a positive difference to the conservation of our sport.

Like I said, getting skunked and going to lakes where the fishing is difficult is part of fishing. By taking the leg work out of the sport you open up all the decent lakes to the lazy.

Ofcourse I have gotten info on fishing spots, who hasnt? The difference is that its between me and the other person over a couple pops, not 500 other people listening behind the scenes.

x2..................

Beazer
04-27-2010, 05:19 PM
I fully endorse JTS1's answers.:wave:

jrs
04-27-2010, 05:33 PM
Lots of lazy people out there not willing to put in any effort. That alone maintained many fisheries in Alberta over the past few decades. Too bad guys continue trying to make fishing dummy proof. As for the fishing spot map, if guys want to be shoulder and shoulder with each other go ahead. I simply hope more restrictive angling regulations can be enforced on many waterbodies before the additional pressure wrecks them. Many lakes are managed based on minimal access and pressure. I simply don't give out spots now due to garbage and damage I've seen done by some folks from this forum. Not just responsible outdoors people using this site.

75ft Arborist
04-27-2010, 06:08 PM
Don't go completely by the numbers, i don't use (auto login). Many times i just read the threads and don't log in until i have something to say.

WayneChristie
04-27-2010, 06:11 PM
I am less than 2 years in my area. Ive found fishing places by word of mouth, and lots of driving and exploring. I have also been told about and shown places to fish that I keep to myself, out of respect to the person who told me about them. I have no problem sharing the areas I have discovered on my own with friends, especially since in my hood most of the fishing areas are rather lightly fished. Posting them for all to see is another matter, I like the fact that most are lightly fished. I do have no problem sharing general info and even specific info for places Ive fished for a long time. Especially since I dont fish them anymore. :D
Sure, Jeffs map is a lazy way out of exploring, but some people dont have the time or resources to search out fishing holes on their own.
Maybe the map even contributes to less pollution, since people can find a destination and go directly to it.
If people want to keep their secret spots secret dont put them on the map is all.

AxeMan
04-27-2010, 06:40 PM

#1 1 Week Ago

Swan Sunday

3:45 I was up and on the water by 6:45.

Fishing was good, 25 fish. Biggest around 6lbs but most around 3.
Red Kwikfish in the morning and black leach flies during the day.
Very slow troll.

Water is melted enough to get the boat out and rip around.

Beautiful day on the water.

Did I mention there was only 3 boats on the lake?

Kyle, I must say that you are guilty of what you are condemning. Only a week ago you started a thread on Swan Lake telling that fishing was good, the trout were large, and you even told everyone what you caught them on and the method used. Swan Lake is one of those lakes that is seeing much increased pressure lately. Do you see the contradiction here? If you feel the way you do on this matter then you might want to practice what you preach.

flygirrl
04-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Kyle, I must say that you are guilty of what you are condemning. Only a week ago you started a thread on Swan Lake telling that fishing was good, the trout were large, and you even told everyone what you caught them on and the method used. Swan Lake is one of those lakes that is seeing much increased pressure lately. Do you see the contradiction here? If you feel the way you do on this matter then you might want to practice what you preach.
:lol::lol::lol:Cannot say a word:lol::lol::lol: sides hurt to much

KyleM
04-27-2010, 07:42 PM
I did it for a reason, I guess you can see I posted lots of pics aswell?:lol:

Have you been to Swan? Its stocked twice a year with I think 14000 Rainbows each time. Fisherman line the shore, there are atleast 30 reports on this site from that lake (if you can call it a lake). If people wish to be lazy and troll the net I will give them a spot where 100 other people will be while I fish the other lakes in the area.

:)

WaterSkeeter
04-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Have you been to Swan? Its stocked twice a year with I think 14000 Rainbows each time. Fisherman line the shore, there are atleast 30 reports on this site from that lake (if you can call it a lake). If people wish to be lazy and troll the net I will give them a spot where 100 other people will be while I fish the other lakes in the area.

Cannot say a word sides hurt to much :lol::lol::lol:

Its not like KyleM gave up a secret spot that will be fished out this year.

Now my last fishing post, with pics that dont show a background or face were posted that way for a reason. Because it would take a few dummies to go and keep everything they catch, and yes iv caught people catching bulls and keeping them and have confronted them and reported. So I'm not going to give up my spot I worked hard at finding just so one person can find it, then tell another, then another and so on. Iv seen it happen allot. Ill tell everyone how I did at so and so lake that's on a map, easy to find, stocked etc because its already got everyone fishing it.

flygirrl
04-27-2010, 07:48 PM
Now I have to say something.
Most of the reports on fishing holes on this forum are for the most part stocked lakes and are listed in the regs as such. I dont see a whole lot of people here giving out their honey hole GPS readings and all, and I dont blame them. I would not give out my honey holes either on an open forum but I will give out info on stocked lakes and known places to fish, ice off, flies to use etc...
And yes I have been to Swan, Peppers, Tay, Phyllis, Beaver, Michelle, Strubel, Elk Creek Pond, Birch, Yellowhead, all stocked lakes and lake X:lol:

KyleM
04-27-2010, 07:52 PM
flygirll, have you been to Swan Lake? I understand what your saying but its really not a lake, its more of a trout pond that has air pumps in it to keep the trout alive.

Its more of a meat market.

flygirrl
04-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Are you talking Swan by Caroline or Swan by Debolt? Been to both Swan by Caroline has lakers and pike no rainbow... As far as meat markets are concerned all stocked lakes are exactly that.. unless they are catch and release and thats why I dont mind giving info on them..

WaterSkeeter
04-27-2010, 07:57 PM
flygirll, have you been to Swan Lake? I understand what your saying but its really not a lake, its more of a trout pond that has air pumps in it to keep the trout alive.

Its more of a meat market.

exactly

Duramaximos
04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
...IMO the best fishn holes are the ones I find on my own, through hrs of trial and error, bug bites and battered shins, and then...Finally finding a money spot. I aint about to give em away for free, I sure never got em for free!
Me 2 cents:)

This is how I roll too :cool:

On another note, I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't an unwritten rule among fishermen regarding the sharing of specific details. I mean, when I amble over to the hunting forums you'll never see a hunter sharing details regarding a nice bachelor heard of mature white tails... on the flip side the camaraderie revolves around techniques, equipment, the thrill of the hunt, stalking, spotting, or what have you.

Duramaximos
04-27-2010, 08:26 PM
by the way, before I get called out as a hypocrite, I have viewed JTS' map, but only to see if my spots were marked ;)

Fishfinder
04-27-2010, 09:45 PM
This is how I roll too :cool:

On another note, I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't an unwritten rule among fishermen regarding the sharing of specific details. I mean, when I amble over to the hunting forums you'll never see a hunter sharing details regarding a nice bachelor heard of mature white tails... on the flip side the camaraderie revolves around techniques, equipment, the thrill of the hunt, stalking, spotting, or what have you.

Amen. Again no problem discussing conditions or bite. But to post online where we land our Sturg....aint gonna happen:)

spopadyn
04-27-2010, 10:14 PM

Man, Kyle, you are one noble steed. I bow at your feet. Way to save the world!

spopadyn
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Cannot say a word sides hurt to much :lol::lol::lol:

Its not like KyleM gave up a secret spot that will be fished out this year.

Now my last fishing post, with pics that dont show a background or face were posted that way for a reason. Because it would take a few dummies to go and keep everything they catch, and yes iv caught people catching bulls and keeping them and have confronted them and reported. So I'm not going to give up my spot I worked hard at finding just so one person can find it, then tell another, then another and so on. Iv seen it happen allot. Ill tell everyone how I did at so and so lake that's on a map, easy to find, stocked etc because its already got everyone fishing it.

I am going to hire a private investigator to follow Kyle to his spots - take pictures and give GPS coords.

(PSST... This probably means Kyle will no longer fish this year due to his overwhealming paranoia)

STP
04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Now I have to say something.

the floor is all yours

WaterSkeeter
04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
I am going to hire a private investigator to follow Kyle to his spots - take pictures and give GPS coords.

(PSST... This probably means Kyle will no longer fish this year due to his overwhealming paranoia)

He was just stating his opinion and thoughts, no need to bug the guy.:wave:

WaterSkeeter
04-27-2010, 10:38 PM
the floor is all yours

x2

tonyflyfish
04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
I think you should practice what you perch , walleye go fishing with jack, we are taking burbot no food

go cathy go

WaterSkeeter
04-27-2010, 10:57 PM
I think you should practice what you perch

Yeah guy's, go practice what you perch.......:lol:

uicehole
04-28-2010, 01:00 AM
I don't believe anyone here is saying don't share and offer nothing. If that's the case, why did they join the forum? They can simply leech anonymously without the abuse. What I think and I think many are suggesting, is that as you admire that amazing specimen you've just landed, think whether you are doing a world of good by throwing the name of the lake/pond out on the internet? What's up there is forever. Ask yourself is this a big enough fishery that can take some extra pressure or, by innocently helping our fellow fisherman, turn this quality fishery into a "follow the stocking truck" fishery? I know of a number of pothole type lakes within a couple of hours of Calgary that used to consistently produce trout over 20 inches. Now sadly, the majority of the fish are the year's stockers. There are still a number of other similar small lakes and ponds that are still consistent producers but they are in danger now too. Some argue these are put and take fisheries and sure they are but fish need several seasons to attain a bragging size. Their chances of reaching that size are greatly reduced when there are a high volume of people flossing the water. A quality fishery is maintained by special regs, its remoteness, relatively unknown or is resilient to fishing pressure. A quality fishing experience is reward for those who do their homework. Yes most of the fishable waters are already listed in Mitchell's Guide but all it takes is a picture on the internet to trigger an onslaught. What's to gain by spoonfeeding people at the expense of the fragile fishing body?

If you think KyleM's topic is overstated, I ask you to think of your favorite pond where you've had consistent success with bragging sized fish, name it here, add a picture and let's reopen this topic in three years.

p.s. Without sounding too hypocritical, I think the Google Map is a noble effort. Now let's go fishing!

WaterSkeeter
04-28-2010, 01:21 AM
I don't believe anyone here is saying don't share and offer nothing. If that's the case, why did they join the forum? They can simply leech anonymously without the abuse. What I think and I think many are suggesting, is that as you admire that amazing specimen you've just landed, think whether you are doing a world of good by throwing the name of the lake/pond out on the internet? What's up there is forever. Ask yourself is this a big enough fishery that can take some extra pressure or, by innocently helping our fellow fisherman, turn this quality fishery into a "follow the stocking truck" fishery? I know of a number of pothole type lakes within a couple of hours of Calgary that used to consistently produce trout over 20 inches. Now sadly, the majority of the fish are the year's stockers. There are still a number of other similar small lakes and ponds that are still consistent producers but they are in danger now too. Some argue these are put and take fisheries and sure they are but fish need several seasons to attain a bragging size. Their chances of reaching that size are greatly reduced when there are a high volume of people flossing the water. A quality fishery is maintained by special regs, its remoteness, relatively unknown or is resilient to fishing pressure. A quality fishing experience is reward for those who do their homework. Yes most of the fishable waters are already listed in Mitchell's Guide but all it takes is a picture on the internet to trigger an onslaught. What's to gain by spoonfeeding people at the expense of the fragile fishing body?

If you think KyleM's topic is overstated, I ask you to think of your favorite pond where you've had consistent success with bragging sized fish, name it here, add a picture and let's reopen this topic in three years.

p.s. Without sounding too hypocritical, I think the Google Map is a noble effort. Now let's go fishing!

Very well said

Fishfinder
04-28-2010, 04:44 AM
He was just stating his opinion and thoughts, no need to bug the guy.:wave:

x2.

catnthehat
04-28-2010, 05:32 AM
How could that possibly work, Cat???:huh:

I say more rules and lots of them. That's the ticket.:evilgrin:
:lol::lol::lol::ashamed:
Cat

Kim473
04-28-2010, 05:45 AM
I have fished over 30 years mostly with about 3 certain budies. On any given day one will out fish the other in the same spot with the same hook and same depth. This means that there is a lot of luck, and presentation is a big factor. Giving out the spot does not matter as there are other factors that contribute to catching fish. When ice fishing you just have to look where the holes have been drilled and where the people are. LOL I will give out my spots to others as i know they may get skunked any ways as the fish may move also. I know this as I have 4 spots on differant lakes that the fish are only there for a few weeks then they are gone even one day will make a differance.

WaterSkeeter
04-28-2010, 05:47 AM
Giving out the spot does not matter as there are other factors that contribute to catching fish.

SO say there have been the same 5 guys fishing a certain lake, one tells a buddy, then that buddy tells another. Then you go out one day and theres 50 guys (exaggerating but its to make a point) fishing. That spot will not be affected? I knwo it will be, Iv seen it, especially to pothole lakes.

Kim473
04-28-2010, 06:38 AM
Other factors to catching fish and not all the fish in the lake are in that one spot LOL.

KyleM
04-28-2010, 06:55 AM
All Im saying is that the internet is destroying and will destroy many of the fisheries you guys call your home lakes. I have seen it happen before on a much larger scale body of water.

The problem is when someone posts a report from say Sturgeon lake that says its just great and posts every bit of info. A bunch of guys that following week will be up from ALL over Alberta. Instead of the slow word of mouth you have this instant internet access thats open to all of the world to see.

Many people are losing one of the most exciting parts of fishing and thats the search. Try not using the internet for spots, go buy a backroads map or maybe go into the local shop to spend a few dollars on a lure and BS with the guys.
People dont learn a damn thing about anything when they just look for a hot spot to go...damn, you have guys on this site that dont know the difference between brown and rainbow trout and your telling me that your promoting conservation when you open up all your spots to these guys?

GIVE ME A BREAK:lol:

WaterSkeeter
04-28-2010, 07:06 AM
All Im saying is that the internet is destroying and will destroy many of the fisheries you guys call your home lakes. I have seen it happen before on a much larger scale body of water.

The problem is when someone posts a report from say Sturgeon lake that says its just great and posts every bit of info. A bunch of guys that following week will be up from ALL over Alberta. Instead of the slow word of mouth you have this instant internet access thats open to all of the world to see.

Many people are losing one of the most exciting parts of fishing and thats the search. Try not using the internet for spots, go buy a backroads map or maybe go into the local shop to spend a few dollars on a lure and BS with the guys.
People dont learn a damn thing about anything when they just look for a hot spot to go...damn, you have guys on this site that dont know the difference between brown and rainbow trout and your telling me that your promoting conservation when you open up all your spots to these guys?

thats to hard for some to understand KyleM...Give them a break LMAO

WaterSkeeter
04-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Other factors to catching fish and not all the fish in the lake are in that one spot LOL.

if the lake is overrun by anglers who heard about so and so lake it will get fished out and be under pressure. You think only 1 of say 50 anglers is gonna catch fish? Hell iv been on lakes where I caught one fish and within 5 minutes every person either sees or radios there buddy and im surrounded and all the fish are gone. But what do I know:rolleye2:

spopadyn
04-28-2010, 10:05 AM

Kyle, when you asked others about how the fishing was, were you actually violating all the rules you want to impose? Looks to me like what you are bit**ing about is exactly the same stuff you do.

KYLES POSTS:
Yeah, my muskie days are over.
Im looking forward to some of the giant pike the Great Slave holds though.

Where did you fish them?

and

Took a drive upto Kimiwan and Winagami to check the ice.....still frozen solid.

Has anyone fished those lakes? I liked the looks of Kimiwan, I was just wondering what to expect. It wasnt listed...

Good luck with your preaching. Hey WaterSkeeter, maybe we now need to check all your posts.

floppychicken
04-28-2010, 10:52 AM
I take it with my Google Map with over 130 00 lookies and my 100% opposite view I wont be on the Xmas list. The idea of taking your knowledge to the grave is to me one from the dark ages. I believe sharing as much as you can , locations included "dont get me wrong every man has to have a hunny hole or two for himself" is fundamental in providing a sustainable fishery for the future. I have helped out some first time fishermen and old birds who have forgot more than I will ever know. I have driven to a strangers home and gave him my own personal gear just to find out if this thing we all love called fishing is for him. Because that feeling I get when the drag sings or when the surface of the water is broken by a wonderful explosion of man vs fish.I want everyone to feel that. Because I am a believer that more than not will respect the fishery so he may enjoy it for many more trips. And maybe just maybe pass on something I showed him to the next generation. Will there be the few who poach , pollute and generally dont give a crap , Sure there will be. But they are far out numbered by responsible fishermen such as yourselves. So till they put my fat ars in the ground I will be out there bringing new and old fishermen alike to a hunny hole near you. :tongue2:

I'll back that opinion up 100% !!

Although I Won't DIVULGE 'SPOTS' that I am TAKEN TO by Fishermen that say they are SECRET, I certainly have NO PROBLEM letting others know where 'Mine are'.

Guys, it's not like ANY of your 'Honey Holes' are really VERY secret considering the Fishing Pressure that this Province has had for DECADES!! Do you really think that 'others' have NO IDEA where some of your favourite holes might be? I mean, c'mon... seriously :rolleyes:

floppychicken
04-28-2010, 10:56 AM
I have fished over 30 years mostly with about 3 certain budies. On any given day one will out fish the other in the same spot with the same hook and same depth. This means that there is a lot of luck, and presentation is a big factor. Giving out the spot does not matter as there are other factors that contribute to catching fish. When ice fishing you just have to look where the holes have been drilled and where the people are. LOL I will give out my spots to others as i know they may get skunked any ways as the fish may move also. I know this as I have 4 spots on differant lakes that the fish are only there for a few weeks then they are gone even one day will make a differance.

Well Said ! I think that sums it up perfectly, especially here in Alberta where conditions are always changing...

Cheers,

/J...

Fishfinder
04-28-2010, 11:38 AM
I'll back that opinion up 100% !!

Although I Won't DIVULGE 'SPOTS' that I am TAKEN TO by Fishermen that say they are SECRET, I certainly have NO PROBLEM letting others know where 'Mine are'.

Guys, it's not like ANY of your 'Honey Holes' are really VERY secret considering the Fishing Pressure that this Province has had for DECADES!! Do you really think that 'others' have NO IDEA where some of your favourite holes might be? I mean, c'mon... seriously :rolleyes:

Gonna agree as well that most spots are known. Couple places I go I gotta walk a fair bit to get to, and low and behold, there are plenty of signs of people being there previously. Constantly picking up garbage and fishn line no matter how far I tredge. O well, such is life. But still aint givin up where I go. Personally I would rather find a good spot on my own and have a little success as oppossed to walking into an obvious honey hole that is well known. Might as well jus stay at home and wrangle from the aquarium.:lol:

Morph1
04-28-2010, 11:49 AM

great reply dude..., and so true, now what a joke some will say comparing the speed and exposure of passing information by word of mouth to world wide web lol ...., give me a break !!!!!!!!!! guys that think that there is no difference should not be allowed to browse the internet !!!!!! :lol::lol:,
by the way my reply will reach billions of users right after I press the "Submit Reply" button ... :lol::lol: just a hint to dumbos :D

Morph1
04-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Kyle, when you asked others about how the fishing was, were you actually violating all the rules you want to impose? Looks to me like what you are bit**ing about is exactly the same stuff you do.

KYLES POSTS:

Where did you fish them?

and

Has anyone fished those lakes? I liked the looks of Kimiwan, I was just wondering what to expect. It wasnt listed...

Good luck with your preaching. Hey WaterSkeeter, maybe we now need to check all your posts.

holly cow we gotta forum Sherlock Holmes AKA POOP add in :lol::lol:
will you investigate my case , please :D

TexasTornado
04-28-2010, 12:04 PM
I told everyone about Sylvan by accident, now eveyone fishes it..........i am PO'd

S.A.S
04-28-2010, 12:32 PM
I told everyone about Sylvan by accident, now eveyone fishes it..........i am PO'd

You ****ed up man. :lol: Barry mitchells fishing guide has given me a fair bit of new spots to try out this season

mooseknuckle
04-28-2010, 12:54 PM

Ohh I see so it's okay to post on some spots:huh: because there already screwed? Because we stock them? What? It's hypocritacal and I would be embarressed. Lets just all unplug our computers cuz you think all of who post info are responsible for wrecking your fishing spots... don't worry I'm sure this interweb thingy is just a fad it will pass soon:huh: It's gonna get worse before better my friend so enjoy it how you will but personally I will always share information to those who ask for it.

WaterSkeeter
04-28-2010, 01:07 PM

KYLES POSTS:

Where did you fish them?

and

Sure go ahead:wave: HAve fun to:wave: I think you need a life:wave:

AxeMan
04-28-2010, 01:25 PM
by the way my reply will reach billions of users right after I press the "Submit Reply" button ... :lol::lol: just a hint to dumbos :D

I'm sure the billions of users are anxiously awaiting your reply, Morph. I have read this kind of crap before from our old friend HPF. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I haven't seen very many secret honey holes given up on this forum. I'm not so sure what has Kyle upset. Is it Sturgeon lake? Please, that lake is has a provincial park on it and you can get a fishing report on it from many places if you desire. It is not like any of the stocked trout ponds, or the named lakes or rivers in this province are a big secret. I agree with him that it wouldn't be in your best interest to post your exact favorite spots. I also agree that exploring and getting off the beaten path is a blast. My backroads map book is almost worn out. I'll bet I have fished as many unnamed lakes and creeks as named ones. Some are crap and some are honey holes but I will keep moving on regardless. This why I have a 4x4, a quad, a small boat, and hiking boots.

floppychicken
04-28-2010, 04:37 PM
LOL....

I remember reading a THREAD YEARS ago about a guy who was having some real trouble catching fish...(minor Tournament BASS fishing) so he took some advice from another guy on the FORUM and did the following....

Once a WEEK for 5 months he took along with him a Hi-Powered pair of BINOCULARS and a REALLY good 'Spotting Scope'. He'd 'RECON' the lake that he was on and would SPY on guys fishing from both the shore and his boat!

How freakin' desperate is that !! :lol::lol::lol:

In short, his results were (and I quote) "FAR, FAR BETTER than EVEN "I" EXPECTED."

So there you have it.... If ANYONE REALLY wants to FIND your 'HONEY HOLES' and KNOW what type of TACKLE YOU and your PALS are using.... It's pretty DARN easy!!

PS: Careful which WAY you PEE off yer BOAT!!:lol:

Cheers, :D

/J...

spopadyn
04-28-2010, 04:56 PM
holly cow we gotta forum Sherlock Holmes AKA POOP add in :lol::lol:
will you investigate my case , please :D

Give it a rest Morph. Just pointing out how we like to talk out of both sides of our mouth. I am certain you do as well. Good luck with running down those people who help others. Again, another noble steed saving the world.

WaterSkeeter
04-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Give it a rest Morph. Just pointing out how we like t talk out of both sides of our mouth. I am certain you do as well. Good luck with running down those people who help others. Again, another noble steed saving the world.

:rolleye2:

KyleM
04-28-2010, 05:23 PM
:lol:

spop, did you see any reports with specifics?

Good call! Iam not sure why you need to make things personal, why not just keep that stuff to PM?

I dont mind if anyone PM's me and tells me how they feel...theres nothing wrong with a group session in private to reveal our true feelings.:D

WaterSkeeter
04-28-2010, 05:50 PM
:lol:

spop, did you see any reports with specifics?

Good call! Iam not sure why you need to make things personal, why not just keep that stuff to PM?

I dont mind if anyone PM's me and tells me how they feel...theres nothing wrong with a group session in private to reveal our true feelings.:D

Some people have nothing better to do then search up all your posts and try and win this internet argument, which is kind of lame to begin with. Guess they showed you to voice your opinion eh KyleM:lol::lol::lol:

Some of these people are ridiculous

jts1
04-28-2010, 06:06 PM
I would like to say one thing most threads such as these turn into a gong show with insults and cut downs being tossed around everywhere. You have all expressed your opinions and we have been able to keep this as it should be. A place to share them opinions without fear of being attacked. Good job guys..

That was on one of my posts on page 1. So much for that idea huh.

WayneChristie
04-28-2010, 06:07 PM
search all my posts, that should keep you out of trouble for a week or so :lol:

Paul C
04-28-2010, 06:35 PM
I'm sure the billions of users are anxiously awaiting your reply, Morph. I have read this kind of crap before from our old friend HPF. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I haven't seen very many secret honey holes given up on this forum. I'm not so sure what has Kyle upset. Is it Sturgeon lake? Please, that lake is has a provincial park on it and you can get a fishing report on it from many places if you desire. It is not like any of the stocked trout ponds, or the named lakes or rivers in this province are a big secret. I agree with him that it wouldn't be in your best interest to post your exact favorite spots. I also agree that exploring and getting off the beaten path is a blast. My backroads map book is almost worn out. I'll bet I have fished as many unnamed lakes and creeks as named ones. Some are crap and some are honey holes but I will keep moving on regardless. This why I have a 4x4, a quad, a small boat, and hiking boots.
X Deux:D

flygirrl
04-28-2010, 08:19 PM

That was on one of my posts on page 1. So much for that idea huh.
Nice try JST1:evilgrin::evilgrin: Same song over and over..:lol:

Paul C
04-28-2010, 08:19 PM
X Deux:D
sniff.........sniff..sniff......Axeman do you smell that ????
Who is making that foul odor ?

luckyme
04-28-2010, 09:12 PM
realistic speaking how many fisherman out there (so called true fisherman and weekend fisherman) that fish our lakes are in this forum? like some body said, they should join the forum so they can heard the other side of the story,concern or whining.so they will know if their fishing habit had any impact to the fisheries.if you think the fishing industries are just for true fisherman not the weekend(family,kid) you have to wake up.i don't have a problem if you will post or not your spot, i leave that to people's generosity,but if you point a finger that a weekend fisherman running around wild like it's our own play ground,you're wrong.:rolleyes:

Paul C
04-28-2010, 09:42 PM
realistic speaking how many fisherman out there (so called true fisherman and weekend fisherman) that fish our lakes are in this forum? like some body said, they should join the forum so they can heard the other side of the story,concern or whining.so they will know if their fishing habit had any impact to the fisheries.if you think the fishing industries are just for true fisherman not the weekend(family,kid) you have to wake up.i don't have a problem if you will post or not your spot, i leave that to people's generosity,but if you point a finger that a weekend fisherman running around wild like it's our own play ground,you're wrong.:rolleyes:
On the flip side that happens more often than you are aware of.

WaterSkeeter
04-28-2010, 09:46 PM

I agree.........

Fishfull Thinker..
04-28-2010, 10:14 PM
My posts are so few, maybe I should not be allowed to comment or receive helpfull info..I joined this forum to share my fishing knowledge (very little):lol: & receive knowledge from others..I don't post alot because I work alot.Anyway to share a secret location threw somebody you don;t know seems impossible that this location is your secret.I d'ont give up my hot spots,but will always help a fisherman in need,Whether he only has time to fish on weekends because of work or family,this does not make him any different than fisherman who have all the time in the world.

luckyme
04-28-2010, 10:36 PM

maybe you're right, but one less weekend fisherman you will worry about.there:D
so this is where this forum will play role to all weekend fisherman;
1.consider and respect others and fishing regulations for specific lake.
2.if the true fisherman will not share their fishing spot,don't nags.
3.don't running around like wild if you out there.

hunter49
04-28-2010, 11:06 PM
I think if people are dumb enough to come on here and post where theyve been fishing, all the power to them. BUT dont whine when you have 20 guys on either side of you next weekend and cant catch sh1t ....

Kim473
04-29-2010, 05:53 AM
If you want to save the lakes rivers and trees etc.... Dont worrie about giving up the good fishing spots, Get all the morons that leave garbage lying around to pick it up. Morons that spill major amounts of gas in the water when they fuel up there boat and all the other stupid things that they do to stop that stuff. All that kind of stuff is far worse than catching a few fish, as it kills hundreds at a time.

Paul C
04-29-2010, 09:12 AM
If you want to save the lakes rivers and trees etc.... Dont worrie about giving up the good fishing spots, Get all the morons that leave garbage lying around to pick it up. Morons that spill major amounts of gas in the water when they fuel up there boat and all the other stupid things that they do to stop that stuff. All that kind of stuff is far worse than catching a few fish, as it kills hundreds at a time.
X2 often that posting fishing info can be used to do damage to the the great outdoors. Some people take advantage of a good thing.:rolleye2: Last year I saw a well drilling company take water out of star lake and in the process of doing that they spilled gas into the lake.

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
X2 often that posting fishing info can be used to do damage to the the great outdoors. Some people take advantage of a good thing.:rolleye2: Last year I saw a well drilling company take water out of star lake and in the process of doing that they spilled gas into the lake.

Iv seen the same kind of crap, like oilfield tankers etc driving in a local river to clean the mud off. Its ok, invert, diesel etc doesn't hurt fish right? Its all good though, I had very clear pictures of what they were doing and video and they were reported lol.

Walleyes
04-29-2010, 10:01 AM
Iv seen the same kind of crap, like oilfield tankers etc driving in a local river to clean the mud off. Its ok, invert, diesel etc doesn't hurt fish right? Its all good though, I had very clear pictures of what they were doing and video and they were reported lol.

I would like to see those pics.. Are you sure this is what they where doing ???? Do you have any idea on the punishment for such a thing ??? In these economic times a company is going to risk all to wash off some mud.. And another question you know it was invert mud how ??? and it was on their tires ??? Please enlighten us.. And myself and many others on here can assure this is not the norm not even close.. Like any industry there is the odd idiot that blatantly breaks the rules.. The way you word it, it sounds like a common practice.

And what this has to do with sharing fishing spots I would like to know..

Walleyes
04-29-2010, 10:33 AM
And just a note to the original poster,,, Don't tell me what to do O.K. If I want to share a lake or a spot on an open forum I will.. In all the years that I have been on this forum I have yet to hold back on the identity of a lake that I posted pics of.. If you come on here and show off your catch than you can share the info. If its just to come on here and show off so people can blow steam up your azz than don't show the pics, keep it to yourself.. Giving the exact spot in most cases is not necessary but pointing people to the right lake is just honorable and the friendly thing to do. Its those kinds of things that have made this province a great place. Its funny most of the biggest b!tchers on here aren't even native to the province,, they came over here by the bus loads to take advantage of our province's resources,, raped and pillaged them from us then complain about the amount of people using the outdoors and the lack of resources left,,, kind of ironic no ??? Then all I read about on here is how great he fishing is back home !!! Well I got one suggestion for yah all,, any guesses to what it is ???

Morph1
04-29-2010, 10:36 AM
I think if people are dumb enough to come on here and post where theyve been fishing, all the power to them. BUT dont whine when you have 20 guys on either side of you next weekend and cant catch sh1t ....

X2 and don't whine when all you're catching are minnows instead of a decent size fish !!!!! :mad3:

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 10:41 AM
I would like to see those pics.. Are you sure this is what they where doing ???? Do you have any idea on the punishment for such a thing ??? In these economic times a company is going to risk all to wash off some mud.. And another question you know it was invert mud how ??? and it was on their tires ??? Please enlighten us.. And myself and many others on here can assure this is not the norm not even close.. Like any industry there is the odd idiot that blatantly breaks the rules.. The way you word it, it sounds like a common practice.

I dont want to get in trouble for posting pics of another company doing something, I work in the oilfield and new what they were doing, I know the vac truck was on an invert job as I was on the same location, they were joking about washing off in the river, and what did I see them doing?. I dont have to enlighten anyone or show any pictures. Authorities will deal with it.

DarkAisling
04-29-2010, 10:42 AM
Don't tell me what to do O.K.

:lol: X2.

I'm a curious one. When someone tells me not to do something, I do it just to see what will happen. :evilgrin:

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 10:44 AM

well if you read the post I quoted and replied to, I was mentioning like the other poster how other things can affect a lake other then people.:wave:

jts1
04-29-2010, 10:45 AM
:lol: X2.

I'm a curious one. When someone tells me not to do something, I do it just to see what will happen. :evilgrin:

What ever you do , under no circumstances do you ever ever Go out and buy me a new 4 piece fly rod and case for it. I mean it.. I AM TELLING YOU. :innocent:

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 10:46 AM
What ever you do , under no circumstances do you ever ever Go out and buy me a new 4 piece fly rod and case for it. I mean it.. I AM TELLING YOU. :innocent:

LMAO,.....:lol:

Dakota369
04-29-2010, 10:46 AM

What a selfish pile of stink. You say that part of the fun is exploration, but you don't want "your honeyhole" fished out because then you may have to go exploring for another one?? This is not the only source of info re; spots, and I may add that certain alleged spots are really just posted to deflect people from others anyways. Keep your spots to yourself or don't, I don't really care as I have my own. Coming out and telling everyone to be selfish and all (it's my spot no one else should know about it, except maybe a few close personal friends) is just ignorant, and propagates the belief that fishermen are selfish and loath to share........even my two year old knows it's not nice to be greedy..........:tongue2:

DarkAisling
04-29-2010, 10:48 AM

Hmm . . . why do I have the overwhelming urge to run over to Hanson's Outfitters at lunch?

(insert zombie smiley here)

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 10:51 AM
What a selfish pile of stink. You say that part of the fun is exploration, but you don't want "your honeyhole" fished out because then you may have to go exploring for another one?? This is not the only source of info re; spots, and I may add that certain alleged spots are really just posted to deflect people from others anyways. Keep your spots to yourself or don't, I don't really care as I have my own. Coming out and telling everyone to be selfish and all (it's my spot no one else should know about it, except maybe a few close personal friends) is just ignorant, and propagates the belief that fishermen are selfish and loath to share........even my two year old knows it's not nice to be greedy..........:tongue2:

I have this overwhelming urge now to tell, show and give directions to all my secret fishing spots now, just so one person can tell another and they get fished out:rolleye2::rolleye2: I dont even show some of my best friends as Iv seen what happens when word gets out about a secret hole...:wave:

jts1
04-29-2010, 10:55 AM
So our posts should look like this.....

I went out fishing the other day to the perfect spot "but I cant tell you where" Had a wonderful day weather was great , There was a huge hatch "But I cant tell you of what". Had me a large number of fish "But cant tell you what kind or how many" The biggest one was HUGE "again cant tell you how big" I have a wicked picture "But cant show it to you" Hope to see you out there "where I cant tell you"........:rolleyes:

troller
04-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Some people have nothing better to do then search up all your posts and try and win this internet argument, which is kind of lame to begin with. Guess they showed you to voice your opinion eh KyleM:lol::lol::lol:

I agree, it is interesting, however, that you comprise almost 20% of the posts in this little "internet argument" thread.

Guess you don't have much else to do either?

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 11:06 AM
I agree, it is interesting, however, that you comprise almost 20% of the posts in this little "internet argument" thread.

Guess you don't have much else to do either?

got a few days off, its a funny thread thats gone sideways, just having fun now:wave: Im not searching up there every post looking for ways to contradict them:wave: Happy fishing

Dakota369
04-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I have this overwhelming urge now to tell, show and give directions to all my secret fishing spots now, just so one person can tell another and they get fished out:rolleye2::rolleye2: I dont even show some of my best friends as Iv seen what happens when word gets out about a secret hole...:wave:

Follow your heart and don't tell anybody.....I really don't care, but don't try and tell me and everyone else who frequents this board how to act.:D

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Follow your heart and don't tell anybody.....I really don't care, but don't try and tell me and everyone else who frequents this board how to act.:D

Dont beleive iv told anyone how to act:rolleye2: Just agreed with KyleM:wave:

Dakota369
04-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Dont beleive iv told anyone how to act:rolleye2: Just agreed with KyleM:wave:

Well seeing how his post is titled "Don't tell your spots" I wouldn't think it was too great a leap in logic that you also feel the same way........and he was telling us what to do by the very nature of his post no??:wave::evilgrin:

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Well seeing how his post is titled "Don't tell your spots" I wouldn't think it was too great a leap in logic that you also feel the same way........and he was telling us what to do by the very nature of his post no??:wave::evilgrin:

Yup I agree with him, but never did I tell anyone what to do. I dont give 2 ****s what you do, but I may think different about it.:zzz:

mooseknuckle
04-29-2010, 12:36 PM
And just a note to the original poster,,, Don't tell me what to do O.K. If I want to share a lake or a spot on an open forum I will.. In all the years that I have been on this forum I have yet to hold back on the identity of a lake that I posted pics of.. If you come on here and show off your catch than you can share the info. If its just to come on here and show off so people can blow steam up your azz than don't show the pics, keep it to yourself.. Giving the exact spot in most cases is not necessary but pointing people to the right lake is just honorable and the friendly thing to do. Its those kinds of things that have made this province a great place. Its funny most of the biggest b!tchers on here aren't even native to the province,, they came over here by the bus loads to take advantage of our province's resources,, raped and pillaged them from us then complain about the amount of people using the outdoors and the lack of resources left,,, kind of ironic no ??? Then all I read about on here is how great he fishing is back home !!! Well I got one suggestion for yah all,, any guesses to what it is ???

X2!!! I'm trying not to keep looking at this thread but it's like a bad car crash, I can't help it I kind of hope it goes away... I'm a another dumb post and a couple of beers away from saying something stupid:lol:

I will leave with this Kyle m and waterskeeter I think you both are WRONG.

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 01:13 PM
X2!!! I'm trying not to keep looking at this thread but it's like a bad car crash, I can't help it I kind of hope it goes away... I'm a another dumb post and a couple of beers away from saying something stupid:lol:

I will leave with this Kyle m and waterskeeter I think you both are WRONG.

Thats ok:wave:

spopadyn
04-29-2010, 02:08 PM
I guess we just have to let waterskeeter and KyleM start there own private little club (clothing optional?) where all they do is tell each other nothing. Boy, that sounds exciting. Morph1 would like to join as well, but no pictures, that guy can photoshop anything!

Glad to see lots of others stand up for the everyman who needs help with where and how to fish. Too many of you to agree with.

spopadyn
04-29-2010, 02:17 PM

By the way, I searched your posts Waterskeeter, but all I could find was

X2...:wave:

WTF? What a sycophant.

huntsfurfish
04-29-2010, 02:19 PM
Some people need to be spoon fed. Info on the boards can help.:evilgrin::lol:

However some info on here could be damaging.

DarkAisling
04-29-2010, 02:24 PM
sycophant

That is a great word. I'm always impressed when someone pulls off using a word like that (and even does it correctly) :D

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 02:54 PM
By the way, I searched your posts Waterskeeter, but all I could find was

X2...:wave:

WTF? What a sycophant.
bahaha, oh you hurt my feelings:rolleye2: Oh no I dont have 1000 posts:rolleyes: Im to busy fishing my secret spots lol

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I guess we just have to let waterskeeter and KyleM start there own private little club (clothing optional?) where all they do is tell each other nothing. Boy, that sounds exciting. Morph1 would like to join as well, but no pictures, that guy can photoshop anything!

Glad to see lots of others stand up for the everyman who needs help with where and how to fish. Too many of you to agree with.

Wow that post just shows how mature you really are? Guess we know what fantasies you dream of lol. I have no problem telling anyone about fishing spots or where to go, but i do have my secret ones i keep to myself, but guess thats absurd.

Dakota369
04-29-2010, 03:04 PM
Yup I agree with him, but never did I tell anyone what to do. I dont give 2 ****s what you do, but I may think different about it.:zzz:

So I was just curious..... did you ever read a post about somewhere on here and then go and try it out? :evilgrin:

fish-man
04-29-2010, 03:14 PM
It's the 21st century. The use of the internet as a tool to get fishing information is here to stay, wether we like it or not. Just like acess to fishing spots and technology used for fishing is getting better, so is information about hot spots... that's just how it is. Hopefully, fisheries managers take these things into account; I also get annoyed when there's a ton of people crowding "my" spot, but complaining changes nothing, and others have the same right to the spot as I do.

Luckily, we can also use the internet to spread information about conservation as well.

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 03:17 PM
So I was just curious..... did you ever read a post about somewhere on here and then go and try it out? :evilgrin:

Nope cant say I have

Oilberta
04-29-2010, 04:00 PM
I agree and disagree with alot of the statements on here.
I agree with not giving out spots, on lakes. I go to a new lake and I look for structure like a creek or rock outcrop. Then I explore from there.
But the map with all the lakes is a good idea. I dont own any specific lake even though my family has been in Alberta for over 100 years. A lakes location is no secret and it shouldn't be.
People think that if they live on a lake they own it. That isn't true, I own every lake in Alberta as much as anyone else does. There are some private lakes but I don't want to fish somewhere like that anyways!

Morph1
04-29-2010, 04:06 PM

haha , funny hey man I'll tell you what I'll join in as long as you're in there dressed only in pink panties, you can stitch in your initials on them too :lol::lol::lol:,

Well I still agree with Kyle and I don't have to attack anyone for it , I am in circle of friends not even from the board and yes we all share everything about fishing...., but unfortunatelly we do not share it with the internet...

I hope I am allowed on here to to have my own views and opinions without much of an argument.....

I hear all the time well 30 years ago fishing was so much better I remember when we used to catch those hawgz, well guess what 30 years ago there was a lot less fishing pressure because there was less population and no INTERNET !!!! - isn't simple less information more fish, less pressure more and better fishing .... whats so hard to understand...
Everyone knows and is aware that we do not have many lakes ..., is our population increasing or decreasing ????? ask yourself the question...

Cheers all,
this thread is very amusing :lol::lol::lol:

spopadyn
04-29-2010, 04:45 PM
haha , funny hey man I'll tell you what I'll join in as long as you're in there dressed only in pink panties, you can stitch in your initials on them too :lol::lol::lol:

That would be the end to my political career. So much for sending Special Ed packing.

Oh hey WaterSkeeter, I thought I would reply to your post as well

X2......:lol:

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 04:46 PM
[QUOTE=Morph1;575810]haha , funny hey man I'll tell you what I'll join in as long as you're in there dressed only in pink panties, you can stitch in your initials on them too :lol::lol::lol:,

That would be the end to my political career. So much for sending Special Ed packing.

Oh hey WaterSkeeter, I thought I would reply to your post as well

X2......:lol:

:rolleye2::rolleyes:

btw out of my 118 posts on this site iv used "x2" twice:rolleyes:

KyleM
04-29-2010, 05:07 PM
This just makes me laugh :lol:

As I said, its my opinion. If everyone agreed upon everything this world would be boring.

Walleyes, dont get so upset its just AOF. If I told you directly what to do, I apologize. I love this province because its a beautiful part of Canada, not because of the resources. I dont work on the rigs and have zero to do with oil/gas/logging. Is there something wrong with trying to protect part of Canadas natural resource? Why is it some Albertans feel that this isnt part of Canada? You think you can tell me to go home or get out? Buddy, this is my home just as much as it is yours....I fly the red leaf to.

If it was just a club with the 3 of us then great! We wont share our super secret 1000 fish a day spots with you guys......enjoy fishing with 100 other guys on the lake :lol:

Can I get a X2 for crying out loud.

whitetail Junkie
04-29-2010, 05:14 PM

There's Two holes in Life that you dont talk about,and one of them is your Fishing Hole!!!!:wave:

WaterSkeeter
04-29-2010, 05:21 PM
There's Two holes in Life that you dont talk about,and one of them is your Fishing Hole!!!!:wave:

Now thats just awesome and true!

Walleyes
04-29-2010, 05:40 PM
Is there something wrong with trying to protect part of Canadas natural resource? Why is it some Albertans feel that this isnt part of Canada? You think you can tell me to go home or get out? Buddy, this is my home just as much as it is yours....I fly the red leaf to.

See thats just it you don't get it.. What does Canada have to with with this,,, this is Alberta,, Canada can kiss my azz.. You want Canada go move back there.. This is the west boy the only flag I ever fly is blue,,, blue to the bone..

Paul C
04-29-2010, 05:48 PM
See thats just it you don't get it.. What does Canada have to with with this,,, this is Alberta,, Canada can kiss my azz.. You want Canada go move back there.. This is the west boy the only flag I ever fly is blue,,, blue to the bone..
Another Proud Canadian

S.A.S
04-29-2010, 06:34 PM

I actually agree with you on this. I hear alot about "Canadas oil" and "Canadas Oil money", No No No my friend, It is Albertas Oil and Albertas Oil money. Albertas mountains, Albertas lakes, Albertas provincial parks. I dont fly blue but I fly the red ensign, close enough. :wave:

jts1
04-29-2010, 06:40 PM

Go move back there ? Now you are just talking out of your ars. I try not to get involved in silly school girl arguments on here. And thats just what this thread has turned into. But this is getting retarded. It is past the point of who has or does not have a point. The actions of a few have once again spoiled the good reputation of BOTH this forum and the ADULT fishermen on it. We have lost a crap load of good members to this very thing time and time again. Grow up.....

superspud
04-29-2010, 09:29 PM
you said it JTS

dave99
04-30-2010, 08:49 AM
My two cents: Use some discretion when sharing fishing spots. The only reason that justifies not sharing a spot (IMO) is if the area is very specific, and posting it's location would REALISTICALLY attract too many anglers. Otherwise, there really is something to be said about sharing info.

This winter DNORTHERN was kind enough to give me a tip on fishing Wabamun in winter. The three times that I managed to get the canoe out there were the best days of pike fishing I've ever had. I also took my gf out there (new fisherwoman) and she's now hooked on fishing! To those that shared the spot with me, I owe my gratitude and friendship!

Tight lines,
Dave99

mooseknuckle
04-30-2010, 08:56 AM
My two cents: Use some discretion when sharing fishing spots. The only reason that justifies not sharing a spot (IMO) is if the area is very specific, and posting it's location would REALISTICALLY attract too many anglers. Otherwise, there really is something to be said about sharing info.

This winter DNORTHERN was kind enough to give me a tip on fishing Wabamun in winter. The three times that I managed to get the canoe out there were the best days of pike fishing I've ever had. I also took my gf out there (new fisherwoman) and she's now hooked on fishing! To those that shared the spot with me, I owe my gratitude and friendship!

Tight lines,
Dave99

See now thats what it's all about, great story.

Tunstall
04-30-2010, 10:45 AM

I actually agree with you on this. I hear alot about "Canadas oil" and "Canadas Oil money", No No No my friend, It is Albertas Oil and Albertas Oil money. Albertas mountains, Albertas lakes, Albertas provincial parks. I dont fly blue but I fly the red ensign, close enough.

Gimme a friggin break. :rolleyes:

I can't stand this kind two year old ignorance. :mad3:

admin
04-30-2010, 11:05 AM
This thread has run it's course... closed.