PDA

View Full Version : Walley/pike Fishing near calgary???

Eddy
04-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Anyone no of any lakes for walleye/pike fishing near calgary (less 2 hr drive)......looking to get out this weekend ......and have no idea where to go...

thanks

nicemustang
04-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Check your regs, unfortunetly 95% of the lakes are closed until may 8th. There are quite a few PP1 lakes that are open all year that aren't listed in the regs that will have pike in them. Ex: Bruce Lake, Clear lake, Twin Valley, etc. Else you can go a little further to newell, is the only southern ab reservior with everything in it that is open, bait ban though.

Usually there is still ice on most the lakes this time of year.

uglystickman
04-27-2010, 12:35 PM
Have to wait till the 8th for all the good lakes (for sure for wallies). You can go to clear now for a pike like everyone else in southern Alberta. It's been fished pretty hard since that 1 big one came outta it. Might get a pike on the bow east of cal, just check regulations to be sure of whats open! IMG_0025.JPG

cougarcreek
04-27-2010, 12:36 PM
There a several lakes around Calgary worth trying. I recommend you purchase a copy of the Alberta fishing guide magazine. It is available in most stores that sell fishing supplies. I get a copy every year.

Note: Check the regs as lakes in this area have a range of closures.

aulrich
04-27-2010, 01:14 PM
The Bow is the cure to the icefishing is over and soft water is not open blues,
you just need to learn how to catch trout.

When the season open I have two on my hit list, Pine Coulee Res and Badger. An ice fishing trip proved to me that PCR is worth some invesigation and could be a fun fishery. I have never fished Badger and one of my 2010 fishing goals is a 20lb+ pike and during May/June should be a solid chance at it there.

nicemustang
04-27-2010, 01:36 PM
Newell in May - June for the best chance for a 20+ lb pike around here.

aulrich
04-27-2010, 03:46 PM
OK, sounds like I need to add one more lake to my hit list, thanks for the hint!!!

Just getting into soft water lake fishing here in Alberta, the plan has been to work up to the bigger resovoirs mostly due to my small boat 14' car topper.

fishface74
04-27-2010, 04:13 PM
Went out on Newell this past Sunday and the lake is open for business! A number of boats were out, but the weather sucked, so alot of people packed it in by early afternoon. We stayed and came up with a close to 30 lb pike. Had quite a few follows and a few hook ups...some smaller ones in the 10-15 lb range landed.