PDA

View Full Version : Proposed HST Tax in B.C.

Tofinofish
04-27-2010, 02:23 PM
You might wonder how the B.C. governments proposed HST (Harmonized Sales Tax) might relate to this fishing forum...

Some of you that have plans to fish in B.C. with an Outfitter or Lodge in 2010 should consider an option to possibly save some $$$ for you. I know some businesses that have pre-booked guests that plan to fish after July 1st are offering a short "loophole" to save the proposed tax that will apply to damn near everything that it didn't in the past, Including Fishing Charters and Lodge Packages.

Until April 30th, you should have the option of pre-paying your trip in full to avoid the extra 7% in tax. After May 1st, the "loophole" closes and businesses will not be able to offer this option.

We have been working with our pre-booked guests for some time now trying to get these details worked out, and just now thought to provide a heads up to the many AO members that I am sure can take advantage of this option, regardless of where in B.C. you plan to fish.

Sorry for the delay as the time is getting tight to make this happen.

Some of you that have been on the fence about whether you are going to book etc. You might consider finalizing plans within the next three days to save the proposed 7% to the B.C. Gov. Contact your Lodge or Outfitter to inquire if you have not already.

I know of place on Vancouver Island that has space available if you are interested.
J.

rhuntley12
04-27-2010, 02:30 PM
"Harmonized" meaning you gonna pay more!

big zeke
04-27-2010, 02:45 PM
To the communist government of BC the word Harmonized has the same meaning as it has to the Mafia...just give us whatever we ask for and we will live in harmony.

Several years ago I bought my boat from a guy in Pitt Meadows and had him deliver it to me. Some 2 years later I get a letter from Victoria demanding the PST payable on the boat. They knew I bought the boat because they got my info from the Federal government when I registered the boat. These buggers didn't know what I paid for the boat but they knew I owed them some PST and they were determined to get it. A couple of battleaxes in an office in Victoria set my resolve to get around this...totally confrontational. Thankfully I tracked down the old owner and had him sign a form attesting to the fact that he delivered it outside of BC and so no tax was payable.

I have not heard from them since and they will never see a dime from me. I buy my salmon license from the feds and will pay cash for anything I buy there.:mad2:

I'm not sure that they grasp the impact this sort of move has...I will go out of my way to minimize any money I spend there. They just don't get it.

Sorry for the hijack, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Zeke

Tofinofish
04-27-2010, 02:51 PM
I sure hope you all enjoyed the Olympics because we will be paying for it for some time. Anyone who plans on spending a dollar in B.C. should plan on spending an extra 7 cents after July 1st.
There is a strong faction opposing this tax, but will have to see how it shakes down.
As a British Columbian involved in our vibrant Tourism Industry, I find it interesting how the Premier can commit to increasing Tourism by 20% or more by 2015 while digging deeper into the pockets of our guests.

Good thing the fishing will be awesome again.....

d6dan
04-27-2010, 02:52 PM
To the communist government of BC the word Harmonized has the same meaning as it has to the Mafia...just give us whatever we ask for and we will live in harmony.

Several years ago I bought my boat from a guy in Pitt Meadows and had him deliver it to me. Some 2 years later I get a letter from Victoria demanding the PST payable on the boat. They knew I bought the boat because they got my info from the Federal government when I registered the boat. These buggers didn't know what I paid for the boat but they knew I owed them some PST and they were determined to get it. A couple of battleaxes in an office in Victoria set my resolve to get around this...totally confrontational. Thankfully I tracked down the old owner and had him sign a form attesting to the fact that he delivered it outside of BC and so no tax was payable.

I have not heard from them since and they will never see a dime from me. I buy my salmon license from the feds and will pay cash for anything I buy there.:mad2:

I'm not sure that they grasp the impact this sort of move has...I will go out of my way to minimize any money I spend there. They just don't get it.

Sorry for the hijack, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Zeke

I hear ya Zeke. I have to live here and this BS tax is just going to drive people away from here and underground deals will be the norm.. It ****es me off to no end, that this Gov't can and will shove a hated tax down our throats even when the people of BC have said we do not want it!.. Of course you all know what BC stands for??..Bring Cash.. have a nice day :)

dss44
04-27-2010, 03:37 PM
This tax will be the end of the Liberal gov't for sure...although Campbell doesn't care as this will be his last term before retirement anyway. I wish I could take my vote back last election :lol: Just sent an email out to our guests this year with the option to pay before the HST comes in.

Tofinofish
04-27-2010, 03:46 PM
This tax will be the end of the Liberal gov't for sure...although Campbell doesn't care as this will be his last term before retirement anyway. I wish I could take my vote back last election :lol: Just sent an email out to our guests this year with the option to pay before the HST comes in.

Dss,

You will have to process these before April 30th, so you have to get on it. They won't let us process pre-payments within two months of the HST being implemented. Hopefully you can save some of your guests the grief of paying for Campbell's front row seat at the Olympics.....

J.

Okotokian
04-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Anyone who plans on spending a dollar in B.C. should plan on spending an extra 7 cents after July 1st.

I'm confused. The HST replaces the PST and GST. The PST was 7%. Up to now was there no PST payable on charters, outfitting, etc.? How would a person be paying 7% more after the harmonization? Help me out here. Thanks.

dss44
04-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Very true...with that being said, I think the Olympics were amazing...almost well worth it as it brought together the country and was an unreal experience. But that is besides the point of this thread :lol: Can't wait to get the boat in the water...stability test next weekend then our boats are right at er :D

dss44
04-27-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm confused. The HST replaces the PST and GST. The PST was 7%. Up to now was there no PST payable on charters, outfitting, etc.? How would a person be paying 7% more after the harmonization? Help me out here. Thanks.

Before you'd only have to pay the GST on a charter...so 5% now you have to pay the HST which is the combination of both so it is 12% you have to pay on a charter...that's the extra 7%.

jrs
04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
Everyone i know stopped fishing in BC when the classified waters program came into effect. Glad to hear it will cost even more to cross the provincial border :rolleye2: . I won't even buy gas when i make short journeys into BC anymore, i'd rather pack a bunch of jerry cans than spend money over there.

Tofinofish
04-27-2010, 11:59 PM
Before you'd only have to pay the GST on a charter...so 5% now you have to pay the HST which is the combination of both so it is 12% you have to pay on a charter...that's the extra 7%.

Thanks for providing the response Dss. I agree that the Olympics were a blast and were worth it for many reasons.
Many other sides of the taxation situation are becoming harder to swallow. Obviously with the comments from Alberta residents on how B.C. is not on the list to visit and get their dollars sucked away from every angle is warranted.
Tonight was another knife in the back from our gov't. I attended the AGM for our local Minor Hockey Organization where we learned about the sad reality that our fees are going up. Now this is normal for many situations in this day and age of tough economics and user pay scenario, but what is not normal or acceptable is why we have to dig deeper from now on.
There has been a special gaming fund through BC Lottery corp. that has been allocated to kids sports in the province for years, and was set up to do just that, support kids sports and involvement. I guess the HST is not enough, as it seems that the Gov't won't be providing this stream of $$ to kids anymore, because they have other uses for it.....

Good thing Fishing is so great right now,

dss44
04-28-2010, 01:36 AM
That's a shame...sorry to hear that jay.

Fishing is hot up our way now too...heard of guys nailing fish up to 30lbs already!! Fairly certain these must be the early Columbians!!

Fishfinder
04-28-2010, 04:38 AM
Another tax in BC? What a joke! There will be no saving that prov unless the gov falls into the ocean, when lines break. Stupid is as stupid does. Watch bc's lack of care in regards to fishn. Best place to fish in the whole country falling apart due to poor management. Not my opinion, Facts.

Tofinofish
04-28-2010, 08:12 AM
I started this thread to bring awareness to the option of AO members saving some $$ on your pre-booked trip to the coast, and the window to do this will close on the 30th.
Complaining about the tax situation wasn't my intention, but has been hard not to rant a bit. I hope some of you can save what you can while you can and have a great fishing trip this season.