PDA

View Full Version : Neoprene Waders too hot in the summer?

iliketrout
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Title says it all...do any of you fish with neoprene waders in the summer? I tried a pair on in BPS last night and found them to be quite warm in the store. Just wondering if the water is cool enough to keep it comfortable.

I'm looking for a pair of camo waders that will do double duty for fly fishing and duck hunting. If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them!

goldscud
04-27-2010, 03:08 PM
It's true they are hot in the summer, but as soon as the water warms up a bit you can just switch to shorts.
Neoprenes are a way more durable than breathables. I would recommend getting 5mm neoprenes as the feet will last longer. Neoprenes are a lot warmer as well in water less that 8 C.
Best deal is to order 5mm waders from Cabelas. Brown ones about $60 US, camo is more (not sure you need it).

nicemustang
04-27-2010, 03:13 PM
yeah I don't think you need camo for duck hunting. Ducks are stupid as long as you somewhat blend in.

aulrich
04-27-2010, 03:16 PM
In the water I have never felt too hot, mind you that depends on how deep you are wading.

This time of year there is no such thing as too warm.

Now in the boat or hiking around is another matter they can be uncomfortable.

jts1
04-27-2010, 03:17 PM
Adam we are a cuple of fat guys take mine out next time you go and give them a try. Then you will know.

WaterSkeeter
04-27-2010, 03:31 PM
breathables all the way!

DarkAisling
04-27-2010, 03:38 PM
#1 son has neoprene waders . . . on April 18th, when it hit 20 degrees outside, he was roasting in them! It didn't help that he was wearing jeans and two pairs of socks (one pair or which were his long football socks). When he finally got out of the waders he was soaked with sweat.

Ambient temperature has a tremendous amount to do with your comfort level, even when wading in really cold water. The neoprene waders are really nice, but be prepared to strip to your skivvies before getting into them on warm days.

I also got really warm in my breathable waders that day as I was overdressed, too.

5Weight
04-27-2010, 03:50 PM
I just bought a pair of breathable waders last season, but before that used neoprene for years. For the handful of times I got to use them each summer, I didn't find them too warm. I actually appreciated them very much on the cooler days.

Now that I'm older and have more natural insulation around the beltline area, I could see how they could heat up on those roasting sunny days though.

5W

iliketrout
04-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Best deal is to order 5mm waders from Cabelas. Brown ones about $60 US, camo is more (not sure you need it).

I''m getting the boot foot ones, so the cost difference is not too much considering that. But it's a good point, I've always had camo pants but I'm sure brown would be fine.

Another question, if I order from Cabela's.com rather than Cabela's.ca, do I have to pay customs and brokerage? The selection is much larger on the american website.

I asked at BPS what the deal was with ordering on-line and you have to pay customs and brokerage. No thank you.

Sundancefisher
04-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Alll depends where you are fishing. If it is warm enough to walk and wade in shorts...it is too warm for neoprene. If you are sitting in a tube all day in a mountain lake...you need em. If you are fishing Spring and Fall you need em. You can get 5 mm for winter...but 3 mm is fine.

I use only neoprene and I can't complain.

WaterSkeeter
04-27-2010, 04:08 PM
BARE make great breathable waders, I wore them fishing the river in -25 and was very comfortable, also wore them in +25 and if you just wear shorts or underwear you will be just fine.

Okotokian
04-27-2010, 04:17 PM
Unless price is a big issue get the breathables and forget neoprene. With breathables you can easily layer for the weather. In winter you can put on the longjohns and fleece pants underneath... early spring just slip them over jeans... summer... well, I just wear shorts and old runners in summer, but you get the idea.

cohod
04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
Okotokian beat me to the submit button.

so X2.

Treat them with care and they will last, mine are 8 years old and have been allover from the west coast to Ontario.(haven't touched my neoprene since I left the coast)

cohod

DarkAisling
04-27-2010, 04:29 PM
Another question, if I order from Cabela's.com rather than Cabela's.ca, do I have to pay customs and brokerage?

Yes, you do.

skain11
04-27-2010, 04:46 PM
I too am on the breathable team. Easier to put on and take off, comfortable to hike in. In spring fall winter it's MEC fleece pants and BPS redhead wool socks ( lifetime warrenty they say, not sure how that is going to work 6 years from now). In the summer it is shorts in the waders or no waders at all. Mine are Wardell and into their 6th season, repaired a few user caused leaks with no problem. Don't forget the belt for that extra 45 seconds hopefully you won't need.....sk...and always hang to dry/store...

fishstix
04-27-2010, 04:48 PM
I wear my breathables all season. Its more to keep dry than warm.

Stayin' dry (sort of..)

Fishstix!!

75ft Arborist
04-27-2010, 06:23 PM
I always order from Cabelas.com and not ca, better selection. Brokerage fees, if so then they are added into the price. Its not like FedXX when you receive a bill in the mail 2-3weeks later for extra fees.

Ok, i have a pair of breathable's with wading boots and find my feet get cold sometimes. I want to buy a belly boat for fly fishing ponds. Do i need neoprene maybe 3mm since i will be submerged all the time. Boot or stocking, what are you guys using? Any info appreciated! Or will my breathables work with just fins?

DarkAisling
04-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Ok, i have a pair of breathable's with wading boots and find my feet get cold sometimes. I want to buy a belly boat for fly fishing ponds. Do i need neoprene maybe 3mm since i will be submerged all the time. Boot or stocking, what are you guys using? Any info appreciated!

Your waders and boots are probably just fine. Perhaps you can just try different socks. I picked up some merino and silk socks from Campers Village (they were suggested to me by an AOF member), and they keep my feet nice and toasty while wading in chilly water in my breathable waders and boots. I don't remember the brand, but they only have one sock with both merino and wool. They were just over $20 . . . much cheaper than new waders :)

iliketrout
04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Thanks everyone for all the tips. I thought I had it figured out with the neoprene. Guess it's back to the drawing board!

I won't be wearing the waders in the summer, shorts and old jogging shoes for me.

Duramaximos
04-27-2010, 08:52 PM
Last year I bought a pair of neos for use in my kayak during colder days. The nice fellow at Russell's (before they closed) told me absolutely no breathables if using waders in a kayak or pontoon. He claimed there was too much risk of the waders filling up with water and drowning me if I went over board. Now I realize that you should wear a belt with any wader but it was enough of a concern that I just went with the neos.

I haven't had any near death experience with either type so someone here probably knows better than I do. Is this a real risk?