PDA

View Full Version : Problem with HDS sonar

nicemustang
04-28-2010, 10:44 AM
Hoping you guys can help. I recently installed my HDS 5 into my boat. I have separated the sonar to be powered through the fuse block as well as directly to the battery (with in line fuse). The problem happens in both cases. Problem is that when I have it powered on and I start my boat, the sonar shuts off and reccyles, taking 30 secs to restart. Not a big deal I know, but I hate it LOL. I have a 4.3 I/O mercruiser. It must be pulling too much power when I turn it over. Any suggestions on how I can solve this? The cranking battery right now is a 650 cranking amp marine battery, I have a 1000 cranking amp battery that I could try, just not sure if that will help.

Help or ideas are appreciated. :wave:

Cheers!

Mudslide
04-28-2010, 11:04 AM
You could try connecting through your trolling battery and installing an isolating switch between your trolling battery and your main one. You could also power it off the gel battery from your underwater camera.

fishking
04-28-2010, 11:11 AM
I had the same problem. Once I ran a direct line to my battery the problem was corrected. I was also thinking of running another battery for my fish finders and other add ons so i never run my starting battery down.

Mark H
04-28-2010, 11:23 AM
I have run Lowrance products for ever,and they all do what your describing when the battery gets low. If it happens it's usually later in the day after running livewells, bilgepumps, electronics, etc. Your larger battery would probably solve the problem.

Mark.

nicemustang
04-28-2010, 12:25 PM
Thanks guys, I thought it was a no no to put the sonar on the trolling motor batteries due to the interference?? No?

Tredeb
04-28-2010, 04:14 PM
I would try the larger battery. Not too sure of the condition of your 650cca battery, but I believe there is a low voltage limit on a Lowrance. I have heard of them acting erratically if the battery is low. I would not put it on your trolling battery for this reason.

Hopefully, the better battery has more reserve and solves the issue.

thorne
04-28-2010, 06:29 PM
Definately up the battery. Any drop below 10 volts causes the reboot, of course I could be wrong. I have a larger battery starting a 115 E-Tec motor and have no issues like you describe on my HDS-8 running both broadband and sidescan units at the same time and while starting the motor.

nicemustang
04-28-2010, 06:32 PM
I suspect the battery isn't that good. Easy one to try, will do soon as this hockey game is over!

WalleyeDeitz
04-28-2010, 07:34 PM
Hey nicemustange, off topic, but just wodering if you purcahsed any of the Navionics lake chips for the HDS5. Bought the same unit on my new baot, everything works great. I threw it in Sylvan lake and the lake was already on my unit but not with depths. Just wondering if its wort the 200 and some bucks. Had one in my hand at Bass Pro the other day and the lady said she thought you could download specific lakes off the website and only pay for the lakes you want.....dont think thats true as I cannot find anything that states that. If you bought the chip, what are your thoughts on it, worth the money? Also how did the I-Pilot work?

nicemustang
04-28-2010, 07:42 PM
Yes it was the battery. Everything is good now thank goodness. That was seriously ticking me off.

Deitz - I have bought the lake maps. Although haven't been on a lake to try it out yet, newell isn't on there for some reason. I think it will be worth it, but there are several lakes not available that I would like, oh well. Maybe in other years?? I dunno. But it's $169 at the fishin hole if you want to save your money.

nicemustang
04-28-2010, 07:44 PM
Oh, and I-pilot is awesome. Although it would be nice if it integrated with my sonar and it would keep me at a specific depth, that will be the next thing lol. Always something to buy.

thorne
04-28-2010, 07:47 PM
Glad its all good mustang! Also very glad to hear the new maps ore good as well...have one on order from fishin hole, just waiting for it to show!

nicemustang
04-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Just got mine today :)

WalleyeDeitz
04-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Yeah, not too many Alberta lakes are on it. You can view the list on the website...Crawling Valley is my fav spot and its not there either. Think I will break down and buy the maps.....and the ipilot.....just alot of $$ after getting a new boat. What type of boat did you end up getting to replace old Birtha?

nicemustang
04-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Thelma is sold, replaced with Louise. 01 Searay 185 with a 4.3 mercruiser 4 barrel carb 220 hp. I know its no fishing machine but it's meant for dual purpose. And slowly getting it upgraded to be a fishing machine!

WalleyeDeitz
04-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Good to hear...that should go prety good. I picked p a 2010 Lund 1700 Pro Sport 115hp that is also dual purpose. Kind feel like puking now thinking about the $$$'s. I figure I just have to win the next 8 SAWT tournys to pay for it.....one can always hope cant they? Will be posting my old girl on here for sale soon.

See ya on the lake and thanks for all your help with the info.

Jeff

Kingfisher
04-29-2010, 03:03 AM
Yes it was the battery. Everything is good now thank goodness. That was seriously ticking me off.

Deitz - I have bought the lake maps. Although haven't been on a lake to try it out yet, newell isn't on there for some reason. I think it will be worth it, but there are several lakes not available that I would like, oh well. Maybe in other years?? I dunno. But it's $169 at the fishin hole if you want to save your money.

Newell and Crawling Valley aren't there that sucks. You'd think Newell would at least be there. I think I'll go order one of the lake chips too. Hopefully they will add more lakes and have a download from their site. I'll be trying mine out this weekend at Newell for sure.

I was just reading about that I Pilot. WOW the things they have for us to spend our hard earned money on. What a great idea though.

Rob

WalleyeDeitz
04-29-2010, 07:50 AM
Kingfisher, Navionics has a program in place that when new lakes come out, you can purchase the new chips they are selling and then mail them your old one with proof of purchase of the new one. You will then recieve some sort of a refund though they do not tell you how much that would be.

Kingfisher
04-30-2010, 03:41 AM
Sounds good. Thanks.

Rob

DLP
04-30-2010, 05:40 AM
I had the same problem with my hummingbird. I also have a 4.3 I/O. Every time I would start the engine my sonar would drop out and restart. I messed around with the settings on the hummingbird and found a low voltage cut off setting at 10V. Decreasing this setting solved my issues. Hope this helps.

Later
Dan