PDA

View Full Version : Flin Flon MB Fishing

SturgeonHunter
04-29-2010, 01:26 PM
Wondering if anyone has fished Lake Athapapuskow. I just found out that the company I work for will be taking myself and 3 co-workers along with 4 consultants that we work for on a trip there in early June. Just curious if anyone has the fished the area. I checked out a couple outfitters web sites that operate in the area and the fishing looks to be first class. Hoping I can get into some big lakers as I have never fished for them before. Any tackle tips for lakers appreciated.

S.A.S
04-29-2010, 01:42 PM
All those lakes will produce very large walleye and pike. I lived up in Thompson which is east of there and used to fish Paint lake and a river in that area (Dont remember what it is called) In that river is where I caught my 48" Pike. Stock up on spoons, Jigs and pickeral rigs, You're gonna have the time of your life.

redranger15
04-29-2010, 01:44 PM
I,ve been there and it was great.We didn't catch any huge lakers but we did alright. I was there in August and was told it was the slow time of year. We were the only guys in camp so the owner took us out in his boat the first day to show us some spots and were the rocks are.I was using a swedish pimple, no bait, drop it to the bottom, 90' and then reel like hell.I caught one first drop. Next drop down I gave it a few pumps and bango another one two for two.I had about six in the boat before my buddy had any.He switched to a hook similer to the pimple, then he started to get a few.The next day was very ,very rough so we didn't fish(good thing cause a guy was hurting).Last day was like glass but we coudn't get then to bite.You could see them on the sonar following you hook to the top but they just wouldn't take it.The lake is very clear and get your self a pimple and your good to go.Like I said we were there in August so maybe trolling is the way to go in early June as they might not be as deep?Call the lodge and he will tell you what kind of hooks to bring foer that time of season. Hope this helps.

S.A.S
04-29-2010, 01:49 PM
Oh ya, If you catch any walleye eat the cheeks. Very good. Limit I think is 5 Walleye a day.

steverino
04-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I grew up in the Flin Flon area and still go back at least once every year. Lake Athapap is known as two lakes by the locals, Little Athapap and The Big Lake. Little athapap is a top producer of huge walleye and pike. Early June is the best time to be there. The Big Lake is an unbelievable trout fishery. For many years the world record stood from this resourse (a 63 pounder). Each year trout in the 50 pound range are caught and released by the same few local anglers. Some of the best guides from Flin Flon and Cranberry Portage will often have days with over 50 lakers, 20 pound fish won't surprise these guys. Lots of anglers troll with downriggers using spoons like a Williams Whitefish or crankbaits such as large Rapalas or Quickfish style (banana bait) lures. Favorite method for big trout is to anchor up on a place called Mackenzie Point,drop down a 1 to 2oz. white bucktail jig tipped with sucker belly and hang on. You can get the sucker belly at numerous stores and gas stations or at the Bakers Narrows Lodge at the lake. There are dozens of nearby lakes that are much less intimidating if you want to catch walleye and pike. As far as lakers go, Athapap is king. Good luck!

SturgeonHunter
04-29-2010, 05:37 PM
Thanks for tips gents. And I always keep the walleye cheeks :D

gatorhunter
04-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Great advice from steverino!

LEAVE THOSE PICK RIGS AT THE STORE! REAL ANGLERS DON'T USE P...RIGS!

DANOMAN
04-29-2010, 06:53 PM
i was in fling flong once and was shocked to see a t-shirt that said "flin flon Manitoba marijuana capital of canada i was unaware that the federal government grows medicinal pot in the old mine shafts ,,,,,:sick::sick::sick:

S.A.S
04-29-2010, 06:56 PM
i was in fling flong once and was shocked to see a t-shirt that said "flin flon Manitoba marijuana capital of canada i was unaware that the federal government grows medicinal pot in the old mine shafts ,,,,,:sick::sick::sick:

Is that a fact or a joke?

bubba 96
04-29-2010, 08:57 PM
Is that a fact or a joke?

that is a total fact, that is where medicinal is grown in Canada:evilgrin::evilgrin:

redranger15
04-30-2010, 06:14 AM
that is a total fact, that is where medicinal is grown in Canada:evilgrin::evilgrin:

It's true, but the dope sucks.Not that I'd know what good dope is:innocent:

Teamprotz
04-30-2010, 08:01 AM
I'll be there around June 4-5 for 4 days. Guides from Bakers Narrows will catch you fish. They ALL anchor . Don't see many BIG downrigger fish. I've gone for the past 10 years and have always landed trout over 40". Biggest was 45.5". Technique is a bit different , the guides will fill you in. Took me a few trips to figure it out , and did it by accident ! Walleye in most areas of the lake tend to be TOO big to keep to eat ! Lots of 25-27 inch skinny fish. Beware . . there are alot of reefs ! Enjoy the scenery , its incredible !

SturgeonHunter
04-30-2010, 11:42 AM
I might have to try to find some of these old mine shafts :cool::evilgrin:

AlbertaOutdoorsmen19
04-30-2010, 03:14 PM
My parents own a cabin on Athapap and I've been going up their every summer since I was one. I've done some guiding as well on Athapap. You will not have a shortage of fish, I promise you that. Lake trout fishing comes and goes for the big ones, But for shore lunch size you'll get plenty.
Have fun, I'll be their all summer long :D

Teamprotz
04-30-2010, 05:41 PM
If you're up the first week in June , we'll be camped at the Prov. Park, usually just across from the fillet house. We've got the blue and black Astro. Come by for a beer.

Stu
04-30-2010, 07:05 PM
Oh ya, If you catch any walleye eat the cheeks. Very good. Limit I think is 5 Walleye a day.

Your limit is 4, that could be 4 on one day, but not 4 everyday!
You can't fish for a week and take home 28 fish.

S.A.S
04-30-2010, 08:09 PM

Yes you can.

SPECIES
Regular Licence - Conservation Licence
Arctic Char - 8 - 8
Arctic Grayling - only one may exceed 40 cm - 3 - 3
Black Crappie - 6 - 6
Brook Trout (except stocked trout waters)
- none may exceed 45 cm- 1 - 1
Channel Catfish - none may exceed 60 cm - 4 - 1
Goldeye and Mooneye (either or combined) - 10 - 10
Lake Trout - only one may exceed 65 cm -2 - 1
Large Mouth Bass - 0 - 0
Muskellunge - 0 - 0
Northern Pike (Jackfish) - only one may exceed 75 cm - 6 - 4
Rock Bass - 6 - 6
Smallmouth Bass - only one may exceed 40 cm - 4 - 2
Stocked Brook, Brown, and Rainbow Trout; Splake and other trout hybrids; and Arctic Char (any species or combination)
- only one may exceed 45 cm - 3 - 2
Sturgeon - 0 - 0
Walleye (Pickerel) and Sauger (either or combined)
- only one may exceed 55 cm - 6 - 4
White Bass - 25 - 25
Whitefish - 25 - 25
Yellow Perch (Southern Division - except lakes Winnipeg, Manitoba and Winnipegosis) 25 - 25
:all other divisions - no limit - no limit
All Other Species - no limit - no limit

These are daily limits.

noslack
04-30-2010, 08:37 PM

I was!!:D

noslack
04-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Possession limits are the same as daily limist in Manitoba.

So no you can't keep a full weeks worth of fish. You can only have your daily limit in your possession. Clearly stated in the regulations!!

Teamprotz
04-30-2010, 08:56 PM
And they have both regular and conservation licences that allow you to keep half a daily limit.

S.A.S
04-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Possession limits are the same as daily limist in Manitoba.

So no you can't keep a full weeks worth of fish. You can only have your daily limit in your possession. Clearly stated in the regulations!!

I misquoted/read what he said. If you fly from here to northern Manitoba you cannot come back with 28 walleye. That is correct, but you can catch and eat 4-6 walleye a day for 365 days a year.

.millartime.
05-01-2010, 01:18 AM
im heading to this lake on june 19th and have been looking forward to this for 6 months! the buddy i am going with has grown up on this lake but dosent know excat points of the lake. lake trout is on my bucket list this year and was wondering what part of the lake this mackenzie point was on? i hear the big lake is just massive so i dont want to spend a lot of time in wasted trolling.

CeeZee
05-01-2010, 06:55 AM
try and tell this to the americans, you should see all the fish they leave with!!!!

Teamprotz
05-01-2010, 07:41 AM
Mackenzie point is out on Big Athapap. Its a 12 mile run from Bakers Narrows through shallow , rocky channels. Its not a lake to fool around on ! There are maps available but a guide/someone to follow is a must until you learn the route.

gatorhunter
05-01-2010, 04:12 PM
try and tell this to the americans, you should see all the fish they leave with!!!!

This post is so 1970s! Get a life Dude!

enduro155
05-01-2010, 04:28 PM
I spent a lot of time on Athapap growing up.
We used to catch alot of Walleye by the second bridge by Bakers Narrows.
We fished along the east shore just south of the bridge.
In addition, we also fished Kisseynew Lake which is up a terrible logging road but the fishing was intense.
Naosap and Nesosap Lakes are also very good walleye lakes.
One thing is knowing how to navigate through the narrows in order to get to the big lake. I have personally seen people stranded on the shore, which we obviously helped, after they took the leg off their motor.
We used to fish straight south of the lodge at the end of the narrows after we passed the train tracks. We caught several lakers down 45 to 60 feet but we never caught anything larger than 12-15 lbs.
Everyone has to fish this area at least once. It is simply amazing.

SturgeonHunter
05-01-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks for all the input everyone