PDA

View Full Version : Bow drift

BugChucker
04-29-2010, 02:56 PM
I am looking to drift the Bow sometime this spring, I am travelling in from Vancouver Island so I am a little unsure what the winter/weather has produced for flow and hatches etc (I did see Calgary getting some snow yesterday)... is it good at the moment or still to high/cold? I would like to toss dry as much as possible, too early yet? Thx for any info, cheers

DarkAisling
04-29-2010, 03:27 PM
The massive run off hasn't started yet. The crazy volumes of water don't usually come until the end of May/beginning of June. You've got a pretty narrow window to beat it at this point: even as late as May 22nd may really be pushing it.

Ambient temperatures can fluctuate a lot: as much as 20 degrees in a day (sunrise to midday), and it is really impossible to predict what you'd be dealing with when you got here. The weather in Calgary is unpredictable at best. Also, be aware that the wind speeds can really dampen a Bow drift. Unfortunately, these aren't predictable either.

There was a midge hatch while I was out on Sunday, and I wished I'd had some Griffith Gnats.

The "Bow River Pack" here (http://www.ickyflyworks.ca/index.php?cPath=32) will give you a good idea what is useful to have. Also, on their home page, they list what they claim is working right now on the Bow.

notagoodtroutfisher
04-29-2010, 04:34 PM
fish are, and will be pulling into the banks. There is good fisin 5'-15' from the banks

BugChucker
05-02-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the info John. I was a little surprised to hear the bow will temp swing that much, certainly can make for interesting days. I may just wait for fall if the big run off has yet to come.