PDA

View Full Version : Nice Camping Lake Near Edmonton

November Rain
04-29-2010, 03:34 PM
I told myself that after last year's May Long Weekend camping trip, I'd never go again on that bipolar weekend. We ended up going to Elinor/Pinehurst Lake (which is a 2.5hr drive) and sat in the snow and rain and froze.

This year, with the way the weather has been, I've been thinking about going camping again. But, I'd like to find a nice, close lake to go to. It would be spur of the moment depending on the forecast. Are there any nicely groomed campgrounds around a decent lake here in Edmonton? Fishing has to be decent as well. I'm not from Edmonton so I don't know of all the lakes around here that are decent.

seahawkfisher
04-29-2010, 06:22 PM
last minute will be tough on Maylong... everybody and their dog has the fever to get out and does. i'd love to tell you where i'll be going, but it's tougher than grandma's turkey to get a spot as it is... its like 3.5 hr out of edmonton, so not really a good last minute kinda place anyways.

i'd try to book a spot, that being said, a lot of places are dry for the long wekend (no booze), and i'd be willing to bet that there will be fire bans at most of the places close to town (if those kind of things affect your choice) as many past years, fire bans have been in effect. sorry if i'm a downer.
cheers

November Rain
04-29-2010, 07:20 PM
You're not a downer, you're a realist. Maybe I'll just bite my cheek and make my trip up to our old stomping ground (weather permitting of course). It just sucks now that Pinehurst is gone to a tag system now. I'll be 10mins away.

mooseknuckle
04-29-2010, 08:19 PM
A co-worker of mine was able to book at the provincial in wabamun (on Monday). Booze? yes. And as of now a fire ban was mostly the case but if the right amount of rain falls in 3 weeks that could change... her words not mine but I've always known her to be reliable.:wave: Regardless I hope you do get out and enjoy, I hope to get out too.:wave:

fishyuncle
04-29-2010, 10:48 PM
Pigeon Lake - GREAT campground....Great Walleye Fishing (little skinny...but lots of em)

Kim473
04-30-2010, 05:21 AM
Pigeon lake or Long lake but book reservations now.

seahawkfisher
04-30-2010, 09:27 PM
as far as wab goes. unless they changed the regulations there wont be booze allowd; actually, no provincial parks that weekend - provincial rec areas will still allow booze though. (yes, that means pigeon too...)
cheers, i guess...