PDA

View Full Version : Gathering Time Once Again

jts1
04-30-2010, 12:30 PM
OK its that time again. Time to start talking about the years first gathering. Want to see an Alberta outdoorsmen in his natural habitat, If you like great people, good food, laughs, and jello shots :evilgrin: Get involved its going to be So Creamy "that one was just for you Steve". We had great success with the 12 or so gatherings we put on last year at PCR, Caroline, Spray Lakes etc etc. There are tons of forum members who can testify to that.
So lets start posting ideas for locations, dates, what ever you can think of. We will gather up a bunch of suggestions and and go from there. I look forward to reading all your ideas. Here are a few of the shots we CAN show from last years Shall we say "functions".

http://photobucket.com/YearEndChainLake

FishBrain
04-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Right on Jeff, good to see this started.
I think we need somewhere central again for our northern friends, and somewhere where people can shore fish, as well as launch a boat.
How about somewhere where we can maybe campout for a night.

jts1
04-30-2010, 01:37 PM
Yes this will be a camping trip this time not just a day trip. We normally do Fri and Sat nights

mooseknuckle
04-30-2010, 01:41 PM
These gatherings are just going to get bigger and bigger!!!! My only input is to consider kids, ie: campground with a park and such. And some where central I guess. Maybe somewhere smack dab in the middle of the province makes it fair for everyone. Just my 2 cents.

JohninAB
04-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Group campsite be the way to go. Everyone pitch in coin for the two nights rental. Might be tough to get one though at this late stage of the year.

timsesink
04-30-2010, 02:35 PM
Something in the Hill country around Rocky might be nice or for lakes hitting up Gull or Sylvan might work. And yeh all thr group sites are already taken unless we headed up into Kootenay plains area. Where there's a real nice group campground

jts1
04-30-2010, 02:44 PM
These gatherings are just going to get bigger and bigger!!!! My only input is to consider kids, ie: campground with a park and such. And some where central I guess. Maybe somewhere smack dab in the middle of the province makes it fair for everyone. Just my 2 cents.

For sure if someone is going to bring kids we will find a spot suitable for them. And location depends on participants and there locations as well. We have had some good crowds over the last year gatherings that for sure

Group campsite be the way to go. Everyone pitch in coin for the two nights rental. Might be tough to get one though at this late stage of the year.

This has been talked about already and I think its the way to go IF it can be booked where ever we are going to set this up

timsesink
04-30-2010, 03:38 PM
A good spot for a group site is Kooteny Plains Calvacade, there's decent fishing around there on the NSR, Abraham Lake, assorted creeks and the Cline. There's also a spot around there thats great for breaking out the boom sticks. I think it's around 130 a night which included basically unlimited firewood. The downside is the lack of any power/sewage/running water or cell phone service (depends how you look at it).

timsesink
04-30-2010, 03:38 PM
And I forgot to add they usually have spots available.

ericlin0122
04-30-2010, 04:02 PM
I am in!!!! can't wait for camping&fishing trip.
ty AOF

WayneChristie
04-30-2010, 05:50 PM
I think its time we had one down our way too, lots of members from Southern Alberta who cant/dont want to drive way up north. Maybe think about the group site at Chin if its available one weekend, some awesome fishing in the hood around there.

jacenbeers
04-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Mcgregor Lake would be great.

roachman
04-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Mcgregor Lake would be great.

x2!! it is just not entirely kid friendly... quite boring actually if they don't enjoy fishing.

tonyflyfish
04-30-2010, 10:59 PM
I am in! just tell me where and when

t

STP
04-30-2010, 11:52 PM
x2!! it is just not entirely kid friendly... quite boring actually if they don't enjoy fishing.

there is this invention. it's called a baseball glove.

Kingfisher
05-01-2010, 02:42 AM

But dad, where do I plug it in? :lol::lol::D:D

I agree with Wayne. We should have one down in the south. Chin is a great idea. I'd like to wet a line down there this summer.

Not trying to knock a central one or a northern one. I think those would be great also.

Maybe we could do all three. Just do them a month or two appart from each other. I would probably go to at least 2 of the three.

Rob

Fishfinder
05-01-2010, 05:50 AM

There is also a thing called copyright and having a mind of ur own. But I guess that limits ur wordz eh.....and ur name:lol:

On a serious note, perhaps Enchant aint a bad idea for u folks Jts?? I know u all don't wanna catch tiny perch all day, but there's many close spots round there that offer much better fishn, prolly not to late to book a group campground, cheap, centralized...sorta, and lots for the kids to do!

Jus tossin that idea out there? :)

fishnut9
05-01-2010, 06:02 AM
shaws point at lesser slave. Cheap rates, beach for kids and fishing for everyone else.

WayneChristie
05-01-2010, 06:30 AM

too bad someone hadnt told your poppa, no glove no love. :D

calgarygringo
05-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Chin is a great spot and has been my honey hole for the last 30 years or so. Lots of amazing fish stories and pics from this place. I have got the group camp booked for a few days coming up first week of July for a bunch of us for our yearly group trek. Just have to make sure it is earlier there as the water can get pretty low near the end of summer from all the irrigation. There have been years I cannot get the boat in the water in August. Best fishing hole around in my opinion. If early enough the pike fishing from shore right in front of the group camp is excellent and lots of shore walleye spots around the bridge and off the dam if some do not have a boat.

calgarygringo
05-01-2010, 07:33 AM
Just another idea for a southern "family" outing idea.
I know some people who do one at Travers every year. They have a group area down by the boat launch/dock area as well. Traverse has fishing, playground for kids, beach for kids lots of boating area and fishing off the docks and shores. Only thing there is to pray for the wind gods to stay away as sometimes it is nasty on the water but is a good family weekend. I am not sure of what they charge or who to contact but heard many have a good time there.

Dougie55
05-01-2010, 02:11 PM
The GF and I would like to attend any in the north or central region. Especially since I was sick and missed the winter one...:(

flygirrl
05-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Will check out availability here in the rocky area ie: Twin Lakes Group site and Medicine Lake group site. Both are great places for kids as they offer playgrounds, beach, sort of and fishing. There are lots of sites on the gravel road to Medicine lake that is crown but they are not on the water as is the group camp site. Will check available dates

flygirrl
05-06-2010, 06:24 PM
:grouphugg: Well Twin Lakes is out, booked all summer long, Does anyone know if Pine Lake has a group site. I also think there are some campgrounds on the Red Deer River that might do ie: Tolliman Bridge for one. Does anyone else have ideas............

WayneChristie
05-06-2010, 07:36 PM
anyone be interested in having one in Cypress Hills? lots of places to fish, and a beach etc for the kids and dads. :fishing:

tonyflyfish
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
grab a spot like Styeve did last year-close for all even Mr WC.
I could go early (a week or two) to safe the place. somewhere with higher ground and a flat spot for Lindsay to set out the cabage rolls

WayneChristie
05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
grab a spot like Styeve did last year-close for all even Mr WC.
I could go early (a week or two) to safe the place. somewhere with higher ground and a flat spot for Lindsay to set out the cabage rolls

whats wrong with another mudbog? it was kind of fun, even the kids can have fun playing in the mud.

tonyflyfish
05-06-2010, 07:50 PM
how about along that creek just before Swan Lake? We fished there with Gringo.

T

jts1
05-07-2010, 08:41 AM
Great suggestions guys. I am sure we will come up with something. I would love to have a real campground. With power and all. But this may not be the case. If some people are going to bring there kids for sure then we will need to make sure that this is done at a suitable place. A playground and some good grass would be nice. A bush camp I think would be out. We have enough time to do an adult only camp way back in the sticks anytime. So I guess we would need to know if we are going to have kids this time around.

Anyone thinking of attending this event that will be bringing kids please post. I believe we will try and set this one up for June.

FishBrain
05-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Anyone thinking of attending this event that will be bringing kids please post. I believe we will try and set this one up for June.

Yep, three kids here!!! they WILL be going, whether they like it or not:)

mooseknuckle
05-07-2010, 12:26 PM
3 Kids twins at 2yrs and 1 at 6yrs. Still deciding wife or girlfriend???:sHa_sarcasticlol:

flygirrl
05-07-2010, 08:28 PM
:sLo_BigBearHug: Sorry Wayne. Im with jst1 on this one. I think having a gathering that is aimed primarily at the kids is a great idea. Yup we can do the bush/mud bog any time we want to but we should also do a focus on kids only weekend. ie: games/bbq/ and teaching them some fishing skills.Thats one of the reasons why a place like Enchant might be a good spot. Oh, jst1 if we have this gathering anytime after june 17th my grandson from N.B. ( a pure city kid) will be here visiting. I would love to take him on an outing such as this. Hint hint. Im off from June 17- July 1.:character0175:

flygirrl
05-07-2010, 08:31 PM
3 Kids twins at 2yrs and 1 at 6yrs. Still deciding wife or girlfriend???:sHa_sarcasticlol:
If your bringing the kids I would suggest bringing the girlfriend, the wife probably needs a break :angry3:what do you think:thinking-006:

mooseknuckle
05-07-2010, 08:50 PM
If your bringing the kids I would suggest bringing the girlfriend, the wife probably needs a break :angry3:what do you think:thinking-006:

Yeah besides she says she booked an appointment for Pablo the pool boy to clean the pool...... wait we don't have a pool????:thinking-006:

flygirrl
05-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah besides she says she booked an appointment for Pablo the pool boy to clean the pool...... wait we don't have a pool????:thinking-006:

She can pick up a cheap one at Wal-Mart:sHa_sarcasticlol:

SushiUnagi
05-08-2010, 08:59 PM
Great pics! Sounds like fun! Count me in! No kiddos.

Preferably a place within 2-3 hrs drive from Calgary with boat launch and shower/washroom.

Down pillow, king size bed, maid services, sauna, and a massage parlor would be nice too. ;)

calgarygringo
05-08-2010, 09:17 PM
That is a tough way to go.
Maybe talk to Tonyflyfish. I think that sounds just like he travels all the time.......In his trailer with king bed, massage etc.....:oregonian_winesmile

bigdaddy37
05-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I'm interested. And three kids would be coming

jts1
05-09-2010, 05:25 PM
OK it seems that even with out a date set and a location booked we have some interest and a few hellions to keep it interesting. So its official. This next gathering will be family orientated . Myself being a 225lb kid I can get behind this one, and I know of a few other members who are BIG KIDS.

So we will shoot for one of two weekends. June 18/19 or June 25/26. "Ï can take a hint" As most of you know the gatherings are a great time and a group effort. We will be doing our normal pot luck mm mm they always Turn out wicked. Yes Lindsay will do cabbage rolls, but a food list is a ways off yet. lets focus on a place but then again knowing the amount of people going to be there and if they all have trailers tents etc will be a factor for the location. I think a group campsite is the way to go with a bunch of kids. that way where ever they go they are still within the confides of our group and a cook kitchen would be great for the meal and weather if it turns bad. So lets have people decide what dates will work for them and a confirmation for said date.

I cant wait to get out there once again with you all. Please feel free to send me a PM for any reason.

bowfin
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
what about crawling valley they got a nice little park there they have a nice marina we could have a little c&r pike and walleye measurement with picture derby they have a cook house and fishing is good from shore for people who dont have boats they have been doing lots of work at the campground the last 2 yrs and its starting to get real nice and the road is paved all the way to the park now what about there

WayneChristie
05-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Enchant is not a bad idea at all, stuff for the kids, (including ice cream) and only minutes from Travers, Little Bow, Lost, Marsh,Mac, Badger, Newell and the Bow/Oldman rivers.And lots more in less than an hour drive. So many fish we could have a contest to see who catches the least fish, and a short walk when you run out of beer. Or the kids run out of beer, whatever. :thinking-006: Lots of easy to catch perch and some decent trout in the campground, as well as a golf course.

jts1
05-09-2010, 06:09 PM
It sounds like a great place, but if we are going to have some of our northern brethren attend. I think a more central location would be fit. We will see what the response from Edmonton way is before I get to far ahead of myself.

flygirrl
05-09-2010, 08:44 PM
The problem with Central alberta is most of the group campgrounds will be taken. I will check out Sylvan/Medicine/Gull/Pegion/ for group sites for the above dates. Will post my findings on Wed...

brandycourt
05-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Thaks for taking this on!!! I'd like to see a not so family oriented weekend planned sometime this summer as well... Maybe somewhere we can get some target practice in as well!!!

jts1
05-10-2010, 01:49 PM
Thaks for taking this on!!! I'd like to see a not so family oriented weekend planned sometime this summer as well... Maybe somewhere we can get some target practice in as well!!!

LOL:snapoutofit: We have them my friend not to worry. There will be one shortly I can assure you

JohninAB
05-10-2010, 01:50 PM
June 25th weekend is better for me. No kids here.

dmckay
05-11-2010, 09:59 AM
Either weekend would work for me. I'll have the kids, the wife, the dog. Tent camping for us, so we can pretty much set up wherever is decided. Can't wait!!! I haven't been able to make one of these yet.

nicemustang
05-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Both weekend aren't great for me but definitely can't make the second one in June (25th).

jts1
05-12-2010, 08:37 AM
Jeff, Medicine Lake group campsite is open and available for the weekend of June 18-20th, the site is waterfront. The cost is 150.00 a night and than 20.00 extra a night for units over and above five. The group campsite can hold at least 9 units and if we get creative with how we put them in it can hold prob 12-15 units[/COLOR].

This is a what one of the regulars for our gatherings came up with? It will need to be booked today if is is going to happen. will leave this up for some hrs But should be booked today if we agree Please post thoughts ASAP

tonyflyfish
05-12-2010, 09:09 AM
sounds good to me.
Where is Medicine Lake?

t

jts1
05-12-2010, 09:12 AM
North of Rocky... Aint you out camping with your partner in crime? Was thinking of heading up that way for a day to see ya all....

tonyflyfish
05-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Still sounds good to me-am working today and off to see my "Crime" partner this evening.

T

jts1
05-12-2010, 09:16 AM
Pm me your # again and I will see about heading up that way for a day with the wife

dmckay
05-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Medicine Lake sounds good to me. Is anyone else bringing their dog? Is this the Medicine Lake that is near Rimbey?

slingshotz
05-12-2010, 01:11 PM
If I can snag the Friday off, I'll probably be coming up with wife and dog.

flygirrl
05-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Medicine lake is 55 km north on hwy 22 from rocky. Than 13 km east on a dirt road. Signed on highway and on the way in. Waterfront group campsite. Long narrow lake with perch and Pike ( for Wayne only lol) I am booking this today so those that want to come please e-mail me with your name and unit type. First come first serve at the group site. Any over and above what we can fit in there can stay at the main campground if so desired. Beautiful spot.

WayneChristie
05-12-2010, 05:52 PM
Probably give this one a pass, too far for a weekend when I usually end up working late on the Fridays. Next time. :sign0161: I think its time we planned one for the members in the south of the province too, we are starting to feel left out.

calgarygringo
05-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Have to work that weekend so won't be attending either. I am off the next week on holidays and mya have to do some southern walleye pike fishing/camping!!!!