PDA

View Full Version : Muir lake

Dak1138
04-30-2010, 08:51 PM
I see this lake opens on may 1. Is it worth going this early ? I have never been there so any other info would be nice. Thanks.

Slannesh
04-30-2010, 08:58 PM
I tried last year, lots of fish to see but no luck actually catching any. Did much better later in may and in June.

That being said, I'll probably be there tomorrow afternoon to try my luck :)

DuckBrat
04-30-2010, 09:59 PM
It will be elbow to elbow there for the next few days I'm afraid.

AlbertaOutdoorsmen19
04-30-2010, 10:44 PM
I'll probley be their Sunday, Just gotta find another pontoon for my buddy to use.

lambski
05-01-2010, 01:10 AM
:huh::DDuckBrat is a negative guy. There is big ones in every lake that holds fish, dont be silly:tongue2:

Dak1138
05-01-2010, 12:03 PM
I was out this morning and caught a decent sized rainbow as I was about to leave. Looks like you need to be first at the dock or have a watercraft of some sort as the shore is muddy and the water appears to be shallow around the parts of the lake I walked around.

And again a big thanks to the fellow that helped me release my fish . I lost my pliers when I switched locations .Important to to everyone, do not put a line on the water unless you are 100% ready to catch something.

Slannesh
05-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Boat is loaded up, rods are respooled and barbs are all pinched. I'm ready to go!

As soon as the wife gets back from garage sale hunting that is. heh.

I'll let you know how I do once I get back. Happy fishing all!

Slannesh
05-01-2010, 10:18 PM
Had a great time... Got skunked myself but the boat does what it's supposed to and I don't have to deal with the dinghy anymore which is great :)

The wife got skunked too but had at least 3 keeper sized ones on and had one that was literally one second away from the net when it turned and spit out the hook.

measured one for a guy on the dock who was fly fishing, 22" and probably 4-5 lbs... nice and fat. I'll probably be out again tomorrow, too much fun guys!

The reports on the shoreline are accurate as well, you more or less need a boat or a float ring to fish this lake this time of year. Even at the boat launch you sink in 6" when you're pushing off.

ironbutterfly
05-02-2010, 11:27 PM
caught a 21"er today from shore. It's quite possible to fish from the shoreline. Later in the season it gets a bit tricky with reeds and brush and getting snagged. As for the mud, it's the standard in these pothole lakes... you need to be careful. You can instantly find yourself knee deep into the mud. There's a pair a rubber boots embedded in the north shore actually. You tend to be safe if there's plant growth but its always best to take it one step at a time. I've gotten as close as 1 foot from the water...
There're actually a lot of places at muir where large fish hold within 4 feet from the shoreline.

Ah... the last thing I'll say is make sure there's a place to safely release a fish back into the water if you plan to not keep it or catch under the size limit for that matter....

sdimedru
05-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Ah... the last thing I'll say is make sure there's a place to safely release a fish back into the water if you plan to not keep it or catch under the size limit for that matter....

GREAT point... I learnt that real quick last year.... along with watching where you're walking.... :o

I didn't leave my rubber boots though, I fished em out :) Only thing I caught that day lol

DaveFish
05-03-2010, 04:05 PM
We're taking the boat there tomorrow, any advice on first timers at Muir?

italk2u
05-04-2010, 07:52 AM
yeah...bring an auger..have you looked outside????:)

BlackHeart
05-04-2010, 08:31 AM

Real funny. :lol::lol:

DaveFish
05-04-2010, 02:32 PM

See my thread :tongue2: