PDA

View Full Version : Help! New Boat

Paule
04-30-2010, 09:31 PM
Hello all, I bought a new 1700 Sylvan Expedition. Am quite happy with the set up of this boat and the deal I got....However..in my haste I have found out there is no radio in the boat. This is where the HELP comes in. I purchased an AM/FM ipod marine grade raio with 2 speakers. My question is what do I use as a power source?? Firstly this boat has an auxilary swwitch on the dash that appears to not be used for anything at all. I looked under the dash and there is a single purple wire hanging. There is also a red/black pair that is hanging down, and lastly a bunch(6) of wires with a plastic harness attached to them. 3set ups...which do I use? All 3 where run in this boat for a purpass....for what I don't know? I have tried my dealer and they stated that "due to liability they cannot say or suggest which to use"@#$% U!!!! I cannot locate a direct line to the manufacturer in Indiana either. Any input would be appreciated. I AM NO electrician however I should be able to trouble shoot a little.
Thx in advance

thorne
04-30-2010, 09:46 PM
First of all i would tell the dealer to shove it!! Hate the GOT YER MONEY...SO BUGGER OFF!!!! Anyway can you locate the main power bus...the place all the fuses plug into?? There is usually a few open spoth there you can tie into and put a fuse in..second question where are u located? I just spent a week re routing all my accessories on my new boat i bought last year...kinda felt everything out last season, now i know how I wanted everything, so would be easier so show you if are in the edmonton area.

perchfinder
04-30-2010, 09:56 PM
a new boat and the dealer wont help you out.... wow isnt that service. i can suggest you get yourself a test light, turn the key on and the auxilary switch, test the wires and more than likely the red will be your power. black is the negative obviously. once you have your radio powered and installed then you can drill holes in your boat to install the speakers and wires. boom box ready to go scare fish..... (if all else fails read instructions in the radio package)

cribfisher
04-30-2010, 10:59 PM
As long as you put a fuse in the line you can just wire directly to the deep cycle batery under the console. the stereo instructions should have an amp rating for the fuse.

Paule
05-01-2010, 07:06 AM
Thx, in cowtown and willl get on it today.

BigBuck$
05-01-2010, 08:04 AM
I would wire it directly into the "hot" wire on your iginiton. That way when the key is on the radio will turn on.