PDA

View Full Version : Fish finder display options.

S.A.S
05-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Hello, This IS going to come across sounding kind of dumb. But, On the display of your fish finder it shows little hooked lines and squiggles, Is there some way to make it show a fish symbol instead? I do not have a fish finder but am in the market to grab and would like to know if units have both options. Thank you for your time.

ULTRAlite
05-01-2010, 01:00 AM
The option you'd be looking for I think is "FISH ID"

On mine you can turn it on or off

uicehole
05-01-2010, 01:21 AM
Pretty much all fishfinders have this Fish ID feature. It gives you a purdy pitchur but you'll want to turn it off once you get to know your unit. If you want a general understanding of how fishfinders work go to any of the manufacturer's websites (like WWW.EAGLESONAR.COM), go into their support section and poke through one of their model`s manuals. You`ll get a pretty good overview and what options are available and it might even help you decide which options are important to you.

Wes_G
05-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Dont use the fish finder with the fish ID on. Its useless. it interprets every return the finder gets as a fish. Put it into the non fish ID mode and it shouldn't take you long to be able to determine what on the screen are fish and what arent.

S.A.S
05-01-2010, 08:50 PM
Dont use the fish finder with the fish ID on. Its useless. it interprets every return the finder gets as a fish. Put it into the non fish ID mode and it shouldn't take you long to be able to determine what on the screen are fish and what arent.

Hmmm, Interesting. Without the Fish ID on it is very confusing. The man at wholesale sports and the boy at the marine department in BPS had no idea what the display in simulation mode was telling us.Big hooks, small hooks and squigly lines. Lol

npauls
05-01-2010, 09:42 PM
The arches you see are usually fish. That is about the only thing I pay attention to on the screen other then the bottom structures that show up on the picture part anyways.

Nate

uicehole
05-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Fish ID is a gimmick and looks neat in the store. Put the unit in its operational mode and you can tell where the fish are, how deep's your hook (especially icefishing), bottom structure, etc. Takes no time to figure it out.

S.A.S
05-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Fish ID is a gimmick and looks neat in the store. Put the unit in its operational mode and you can tell where the fish are, how deep's your hook (especially icefishing), bottom structure, etc. Takes no time to figure it out.

You can actually tell where the hook is using the operational mode? I feel like I will have to give the owners manual a few good read throughs to get an understanding on how to use the non fish ID mode. Thanks for the input guys. :wave:

Wes_G
05-02-2010, 12:45 AM
There has been many times with my finder while jigging that I have watched my jig go up and down on the screen and fish come up on it. If the guys at the stores cant tell you what anything means in regular mode then they know nothing about the products they're selling.

Basically the width of the arch is when the fish enters and exits the sonar cone, the thicknesss or height of the arch determins the strength of the return you are getting.

I dont think I have ever seen as well defined arches on mine like the simulator mode or pictures on the box show you, If the boat isnt even moving and you are sitting right on top of fish, you wont even get an arch, all it will be is a line straight across the screen as long as the fish stays under you.

Check out some of the videos on youtube about how to read a fishfinder, there are some pretty good ones.