PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Uclulet and size of the boat questions.

plinker
05-02-2010, 02:45 PM
The Sgt. Major and I are planning on fishing Uclulet this year for our 25 Anniversary in later part of August. We have a 1965 Grumman AeroCruiser (enclosed) 16.5 foot boat with an 85 HP Johnson and a 10 HP Honda 4 stroke kicker. Is this the kind of boat that would do ok on the ocean? I have no intention of wandering far from shore once we get past the point but wonder of this is too small a boat for what we plan. Any idea's? My boating experience is from all the years we lived and fished on Kootenay Lake. Big storms, rough rides. The boat handled well but that ain't the ocean right!!

Fishingnutter
05-02-2010, 03:08 PM
I've extensive sal****er experience and my spidey senses tell me that you should post an ad for someone/local experienced with conditions in and around Uculet and have them as your captain. There are so many things to factor in when on the water. I once helped a family out that somehow got their downrigger line caught in their prop just as a tide surge occured, what started as somewhat comical, escalated into panic. All ended well. Another time while navigating through a fog, I came upon a craft with no compass, in a shipping lane nonetheless,, and towed people who had no PFD's on board,, and helped daytrippers dislodge a log from their prop. I'm not saying that you are inexperienced, but the sea brings many a suprise even to us seasoned folk.

Osama Bin Fishing
05-02-2010, 03:25 PM
You could get away with fishing that sized boat in Barcley Sound, but I wouldn't even consider taking it past the surfline on any but the most bluebird of days, and then not far. What you should consider is somewhere further into the sound for that sized vessel.

Toquart Bay, Bamfield, Poett Nook would be perfect for that size boat. Close to protected fishing grounds and not overly exposed like the mouth of
Ucy harbour. Same fishing areas essentially, easier to get to if the weather is big.

Electronics are a big issue as well, it is a rocky, unforgiving coastline and the fog can turn the visibility to zero in no time flat. GPS at least, Radar is crucial for offshore and inshore at certain times of the year.

I guide out of Bamfield and do ride alongs, but wouldn't agree to going offshore in that size boat period. Inshore yes, but not beyond.

Inshore leaves you with countless different hotspots to hit as well, from Pill Point to Swale Rock, The Wall to Cape Beale - all safe in that size vessel and while mainly salmon spots, we fish Cape Beale for halibut all the time.

If the weather is good you could always run into Ucluelet from one of these harbours for a look, but if the weathers bad and you are starting from Ucluelet... you are staying in Ucluelet.

Good luck with your trip, if you'd like to message me with any questions I'd be happy to give you any info on the area!:)

Jeff

KyleM
05-02-2010, 04:40 PM
I know a guy that guides out of the harbour and I have been out fishing offshore there. I wouldnt even venture out of the harbour in a boat that size.

Your best bet by far is to spend a couple bucks and have someone else do the work for you. You get plenty of fish and theres a packaging place right near the water that will flash freeze and pack your fish for around 80 bucks. I have a lot of experience on the water and even that area bothered me.

Its a beautiful area, enjoy it!

Unregistered user
05-02-2010, 04:57 PM
Late August you'd be running into great weather, I'd do it. I've fished out of Port Renfrew in a 14" flap-jack ski boat, no probs if the wind is low. My old foreman used to fish out of Uclulet in a 12' aluminum and would go 12 miles out for Halis, got real scared once in a squall but he survived.
My own experience has shown me that lakes like Koocanusa or Minnewanka blow-up and get ugly quicker than the Pacific but the ocean will get a lot worse given time.

lone wolf
05-02-2010, 05:02 PM
I have been fortunate enough to have several guided trips in the Barkley Sound area. The boat you describe would be aqequatein the confines of the sound where there is lots of shelter around the many islands. It is definitely not an ocean going craft. On one of the trips we fished the mouth of the sound around Ucluelet in a moderate sea, and it was not for the faint of heart. The ocean can be a very unforgiving place. My advice would be to leave your boat at home & hire one of the many quality guides in the area, who will provide all the necessary equipment and put you on the hotspots. Then you can kich back, relax and enjoy the awesome scenery while catching lots of fish. Guaranteed, once you spend a few days on the water there, you will want to go back.

gordfishing
05-02-2010, 07:32 PM
I have fished many years at Ucluelet. My boat was 17.5 and it felt like you were fishing from a canoe. If you go in August it may be OK, you can fish at the red can , north around the corner at little beach or if you want, venture up to Whya point[spelling could be an issue here], it is 5 miles up the coast, do lots of research, make sure you have maps GPS ect.Fog can be an issue too. I learned the hard way. If you go that far spent $900.00 and go with a guide, it is awesome. Google Justfishn. his name is Bill Vanbrandt? An 8 hour trip for two gives you a morning of halibut fishing 23 miles off shore plus after you get your limit get your limit of salmon. Ucluelet is my favourite part of the world good luck :wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::wave::lol::lo l::lol:

Tofinofish
05-02-2010, 10:58 PM
Late August you'd be running into great weather, I'd do it. I've fished out of Port Renfrew in a 14" flap-jack ski boat, no probs if the wind is low. My old foreman used to fish out of Uclulet in a 12' aluminum and would go 12 miles out for Halis, got real scared once in a squall but he survived.
My own experience has shown me that lakes like Koocanusa or Minnewanka blow-up and get ugly quicker than the Pacific but the ocean will get a lot worse given time.

No offense meant, but this is the type of response that could get someone in a lot of trouble. Late August can be calm, (or rough at any given time) but likely to have fog. If you don't have radar or an extremely good GPS, you could find yourself lost in the harbour....
I would not recommend risking any trips out past the can buoy with your boat. What Osama said about inner Barkley is true.

Osama Bin Fishing
05-03-2010, 09:35 PM
Yep. Not the best advice I've ever heard by any means...

But you'd be great inshore and right around the surfline. No need to push the limits beyond whats safe.

Have fun!:) It's a truly incredible area and the fish are here NOW!

Unregistered user
05-04-2010, 05:24 PM
No offense meant, but this is the type of response that could get someone in a lot of trouble. Late August can be calm, (or rough at any given time) but likely to have fog. If you don't have radar or an extremely good GPS, you could find yourself lost in the harbour....
I would not recommend risking any trips out past the can buoy with your boat. What Osama said about inner Barkley is true.

None taken, as I said, "I'd do it" whether or not the O.P. should do it depends on his experience and his equipment. I've fished on a couple of charters and caught lots of fish but left a little disappointed each time. The guides were great the equipment top-notch but it was there's, not mine. They did the thinking and the set-ups, found the fish and controlled the boat etc. I felt like a tourist, my role; a winch. I liken fishing to hunting, much of the thrill is in the chase and the learning. If I just wanted lots of fish I'd hit Costco. Different strokes.....:wave:

BigBuck$
05-04-2010, 05:50 PM
If you've never fished off shore give it a go with a guide first. Hopefully you will hit some bad weather & fog and it will give you a better perspective and respect for the power of the Ocean. I've been out with guides that were running 22 - 26ft Gradys & Kingfishers and they wouldn't go off shore a couple of days.

These guys make thier living as guides, they are trained profesionals and they care about the safety of their customers. The West Coast has tonnes of quality outfitters that will make sure you have a good time because they want you back. They have all the fancy GPS, Sonar, Radar, Radios plus they check Weather and Tide regularly.

Good luck with your trip which ever way you decide to go :wave:

uicehole
05-08-2010, 12:17 AM
I've done the protected waters of the Sound in the summer for the last 14 years first in a canoe and now in a 12.5ft inflatable. Safe most of the time in the mornings but you still have to watch the forecast and be mindful of the weather and sudden fog. Your boat should be fine there with the standard precautions and a GPS loaded with the marine map of the area.

I keep hearing "surfline" being referred to. What is the surfline?

fish99
05-08-2010, 08:12 AM
was on a charter in may last . on a 42 foot boat and the first day we weren t taken out side the islands due large waves. watch the weather and the black line, play it safe.