PDA

View Full Version : Medicine River.

S.A.S
05-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Hello, I am wondering if anybody has fished this river. The book says there are some decent sized fish in it but it looks relatively narrow and slow. Curious if the fishing is any good.

S.A.S
05-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Nobody has fished this river?

Fishingnutter
05-03-2010, 09:51 PM
a copy/paste,,,

Medicine River

As the crow flies, the Medicine River crosses less than 100km of Central Alberta. However, if you were put your canoe into the river at its source and paddle its full course taking in all its twists and turns, you would be faced with a trip in excess of 550 km.
The Medicine River has long been a landmark and a barrier to travel in Central Alberta. The early settlers were able to ford it easily during the low water months in the summer, but during the spring runoff and after heavy rains, it could become a torrent. Still, it usually presents a picture of peace and tranquility.
Unfortunately, that pastoral picture is only surface deep. Long gone are the days when kids could swim in the river and fish taken from it, if there are any, could the eaten.
The river has become a sewer for the many farms it traverses. Shortsighted farmers and ranchers still allow cattle and other livestock to drink directly from the river and in the process they foul the water. By midsummer, the river is covered in stale-smelling algae, the product of the nutrient rich water. Government policies do little to discourage these activities.
RDRN applauds the recent efforts of a few of the river's neighbours to spearhead a cleanup, to install fences to keep cattle away from the river, and one day to reintroduce a fishery. The task is daunting; the cleanup formidable. It has been used at the whim of local farmers and ranchers for so long that it is difficult to imagine the timetable that will have to be followed to return the beautiful little Medicine River to its former state.

S.A.S
05-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Wow, Barry mitchells guide says it has pike to 10 lbs and walleye/sauger. You just saved me a wasted day. :wave: Would the Red deer river then not get polluted from this drainage? How is medicine lake and the mouth of the river there? Thank you for your valuable input.

Fishingnutter
05-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Wow, Barry mitchells guide says it has pike to 10 lbs and walleye/sauger. You just saved me a wasted day. :wave: Would the Red deer river then not get polluted from this drainage? How is medicine lake and the mouth of the river there? Thank you for your valuable input.

found a flyfishing report stating big browns but i'm not in alberti right now so don't know about closures and such

MrDave
05-05-2010, 07:37 PM
The Medicine starts as not much of a trickle. It winds so bad for the first part it was easier to drag the canoe out and lug it across the fields and swamp. There are a few big beaver dams in the community pasture, but they are hard to get to. I know of several people who have pulled pike out in the 15 pound range, and long ago I saw one pulled out of it weighed in at 18.5 lbs.

From west of Rimbey it is tame and slow, with smaller pike hiding out. There are some walleye if you know where to look, but I am not telling where.

I would not eat the fish from the river, I have seen the river washing dead cows down it, in flood.

When it rains up in the Rimbey area it stains the Red Deer river a day or two later. Hope this helps.

diamonddave
05-05-2010, 07:58 PM
:sign0111:You should go fish it, you probably won't see too many kids having fun and disturbing you:sign0068:
Gotta love the new icons