PDA

View Full Version : Camping Suggestions

FlYiNGuY
05-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Its that time of year again!, Time to start planning out the summer - Just wondering if anyone could suggest some good camping locations with fishing close by? I'm looking for places within a 4-5 hour drive from Calgary.
Thanks !

the holster
05-03-2010, 09:46 AM
OK, I'll reveal my bias towards southern Alberta. You cannot beat Police Outpost, Waterton NP, Beavermines, or Lundbreck Falls. All of these have great campsites and excellent fishing. Cheers!
the holster

FishingForLife
05-03-2010, 10:04 AM
Me and my friends go out to K-Country every year camping for about 7 days. And for the past few years, we've been camping at Elkwood Campground in Peter Laugheed provincial Park, Only about 1 1/2 - 2 hours west of Calgary. And it has to be one of the best campsites we've ever been at. All the sites are pretty good being surrounded by trees. Its not too exspensive. Lots of mountain lakes around to fish at, Upper & Lower Kananaskis Lake, Sparrow's Egg Lake, Elbow Lake, Kananaskis River, Barrier Lake, and many many more. Thats my 2 Cents worth anyway.

http://www.kananaskiscountrycampgrounds.com/campgrounds/Elkwood.jpg

Alberta's Campgrounds
05-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Of all the campgrounds we have visited in Alberta, and there has been a considerable number of them, the one we have enjoyed the most was Canyon Campground in Peter Lougheed Provincial Park located near Kananaskis Lakes midway down Highway 40 south of Highway 1. There are however another five campgrounds in this immediate area that would come a close second. If you’ve never been to this area, we highly recommend it.

The campsites are varied. There are some gorgeous sites out in the open, allowing for lots of light to stream through the windows of your unit along with magnificent views, while others are deep in the trees providing shade from the blistering Sun in the Summer months.

During our first visit here we learned that many bears frequent the area, travelling up the valley through the campground on their rounds around the lakes. If bears are an issue for you, perhaps it would be best to stay away from this campground. For those more adventurous souls, the bears are travellers and will leave as quickly as they came as long as no food catches their attention.

There are many recreational opportunities in the area.

A quick drive up the road in either direction will provide the hiker with ample opportunities. There are several peaks to be bagged or for those adverse to elevation gains, the hike around the upper lake makes for a great day trip.

Fishing abounds on either Upper Kananaskis Lake or the Lower Lake but it would seem those with a boat make the best catches.

From Canyon Campground itself there are paved pathways meandering through the other campgrounds in the area, making for some very enjoyable bike rides, skates or leisurely walks.

Although most of the campgrounds in the area, including Canyon Campground, don’t provide many services (electrical, water to your site, showers, etc) there are washrooms with running water and showers at two nearby campgrounds as well as a small grocery store. Other than that its just you and Mother nature.

All in all, this is by far the best Campground we’ve come across in the province. We’re sure you will enjoy it too.

fishead
05-06-2010, 09:26 AM
If you are looking for full hook-ups I am pretty sure you have to have your whole summer planned by 12:01 May1. :mad3:

FlYiNGuY
05-19-2010, 04:13 PM
If you are looking for full hook-ups I am pretty sure you have to have your whole summer planned by 12:01 May1. :mad3:

haha you've got that right!!.. most things are booked up now, just have to play the waiting game of cancelations, so far managed June 25th weekend at Elkwood in K country.
Fun Fun!

nicemustang
05-19-2010, 04:23 PM
K-country = cold.....I prefer southern prairies. Taber municipal campground is awesome with great fishing nearby, Burnstick campground is great as well, Kinbrook island too is good to get out in hot hot ab.