PDA

View Full Version : thinking about buying a boat, motor and trailer

Bobby B.
05-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Any words of advise on what to look for in a purchase and what to be wary of? I'm looking for something to fish the local lakes and rivers with my SIL. Something we might do a little exploring with. If possible, I'd like to keep the price range between 2 and 5 thousand. I have always heard that Honda and Mercury motors are better than the rest. Also, what's the difference between a short leg and long leg outboard?

I'm completely new to this but think it would be a great way to spend some summer days.

Bobby B.

209x50
05-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda, Merc, Yamaha and Suzuki all are good motors. I ran a lot of high priced units when I fished the PWT but when it came time to just fish for fun with family and friends I bought a plain jane 16' lund and put a 25hp merc tiller on the back.

JohninAB
05-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Not much to choose between the major manufacturers as all are good.

Short shaft means it is 15 inches in length from basically the bottom of the powerhead to the anti ventilation plate on the motor. Long shaft is 20 inches usually for the same distance. Some boats have a 15 inch transom (back of the boat where you mount the motor) and some are 20 inch. A 15 inch short leg motor will not work on a 20 inch transom and don't want to run a 20 inch long shaft motor on a 15 inch transom although it will work but not the best.

Fishingnutter
05-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Honda, Merc, Yamaha and Suzuki all are good motors. I ran a lot of high priced units when I fished the PWT but when it came time to just fish for fun with family and friends I bought a plain jane 16' lund and put a 25hp merc tiller on the back.

I agree with this fellow; I just sold my old 71 16' Lund (but kept the motor), 2007 Mercury 15hp 4 stroke. I used my boat on the salt. Quick and manageable though not as a cartopper. I'm thinking about a 12 foot Inflatable now. Though I wish now that I had gone for the Honda outboard, much lighter.

Careful if buying from craigslist. You know though, look up Hewescraft and see what price range models they have or payment plans, nice boats for all water.

jusfloatin
05-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I am not sure if you were asking for opinions on boats but if you are make you what ever boat you get has a 20" transom (long leg motor).

The reason being if it has a 20" transom it will be more suitable for rough conditions.
Even small waves look big in a boat with a 15" transom.

Tredeb
05-04-2010, 08:23 AM
I would also look at Yamaha for a motor. X2 on the 20 inch transom, if you are any size at all, the 15 inch transom on a tiller steer can make reverse a wet situation.

Look for an older 16' lund rebel with pedestals and live well and tiller steer. They are very nice, capable boats. May be the high end of your price, but if it is 10 years old, it will not depreciate any more than it already has.

My brother in law bought one new in the 90's and sold it a few years ago for about $2500 less than he paid for it.