PDA

View Full Version : Red Deer River west of Sundre

selanne88
05-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Has anyone had any luck with the Red Deer river west of Sundre. Was thinking of giving it a shot this summer. Looks like lots of acces from the truck road to Sundre. Thanks

Stump thumper
05-03-2010, 08:09 PM
I have fished it lots but mostly between Sundre and Glennifer lake, and have caught lots of fish, I don't usually fish area's that are close to the roads though.

S.A.S
05-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I'll be heading up that way within the next couple of weeks to fish. Some nice looking spots out there.

tfisher
05-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Ya i used to live out there and never caught anything but my friends always did when they were skippin school to go fishin. cant hurt to give'r a try. i've pulled out some big bull trout out up at ya ha tinda, some beauties cant keep em but still lots of fun :D

bubba 96
05-03-2010, 10:11 PM
I fish that area a fair bit, since opening day it has been good, 6.5lbr bullie a couple wks ago......And the brownies are just as hot....way better fishery than the bow, thats why I drive from airdrie....Also like to fish it by innisvale for pike and walleye buddy last yr took a 14lbr pike..:)

McDeth
05-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Red Deer River is a good fishery, but I really can't agree with it being better than the bow. You really can't beat 2600 fish per square kilometer of water. 2600 supercharged trout to be exact.

selanne88
05-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Ya I would agree , I like fishing where there isn't as much pressure and you can enjoy the day with the stream to yourself and no noise of vehicles driving by. A great way to escape the city life. Thanks for the information everyone

bubba 96
05-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Still dont like the bow standing in waders waist deep in weeds, diapers floating past old oil cans and the amount of garbage is unreal, I use clear floucarbon, and after a days fishing in the bow its green...Say what you will about it but I have way better luck on rdr....and if you never caught a bullie, try it...beats any rainbow ive caught....My 2cents tho, everybody has there own opinion....And I have caught some pretty big rainbows as I fish the columbia often........Bubba

fishstix
05-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Still dont like the bow standing in waders waist deep in weeds, diapers floating past old oil cans and the amount of garbage is unreal, I use clear floucarbon, and after a days fishing in the bow its green...Say what you will about it but I have way better luck on rdr....and if you never caught a bullie, try it...beats any rainbow ive caught....My 2cents tho, everybody has there own opinion....And I have caught some pretty big rainbows as I fish the columbia often........Bubba
Ya i agree,..I prefer a smaller river myself. The bow just isnt my #1 choice. Bulls are great, but i still like the jumping you get with a rainbow..

Fishstix!!

selanne88
05-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Well I gave the Red Deer River a try today and caught some decent size bull trout in the 5 pound range. still ice on the banks in spots. Looking forward to spending more time on that awesome river.

hirsche23
05-08-2010, 08:44 PM
did you go wet of sundre then?

selanne88
05-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Yes I went to sundre then headed west until I hit the river then parked at the nearest access point and spent the entire day on the river.