PDA

View Full Version : Survival of the weakest? Study looks at whitefish evolution in Alberta lake

ShoreAngler
05-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Sat May 1, 10:00 AM

By Bill Graveland, The Canadian Press
ADVERTISEMENT

CALGARY - SKEDDED TO MOVE ON BUDGET SATURDAY AT 8 A.M.

Researchers are exploring whether the desire to have the plumpest, flakiest whitefish fillets on dinner plates may actually be gutting the evolution of the species in a northern Alberta lake and threatening a million-dollar industry.

Nets used by the commercial whitefish industry on Lesser Slave Lake have always been designed to catch the biggest and best fish.

But that means smaller fish are falling through the holes and now historical data indicates an inadvertent shift in how the species evolves, says Sean Rogers, a University of Calgary evolutionary biologist.

It's the genes of the smaller whitefish that are being passed on, Rogers says.

"Instead of the bigger and best surviving, those were the ones we were actually removing from the population and consequently we elicited this selection response in the fish population.

"What you could see from the fishing with the gill nets was this average size for lake whitefish declining."

Charles Darwin's theory of natural selection has often been misrepresented over the years, explains Rogers.

It's widely believed that the term "survival of the fittest" means only the bigger and stronger survive. But the theory actually refers to any survival traits that become more common in successive generations.

Whitefish are the backbone of Alberta's freshwater fishing industry, which has an estimated worth of $1 million annually in the province and $18 million nationwide.

But the commercial fishery at Lesser Slave Lake has seen severe fluctuations in fish populations over time. Between 1965 and 1972 the fishery was actually shut down.

With the provincial fishing season preparing to open soon, Rogers’s molecular ecology lab has initiated a study to dig deeper into what's happening. It will look at scale samples collected by the government over the last 30 years. The DNA from the samples should allow researchers to determine how the fishery has evolved over time.

"We're launching this as a way of trying to get at the underlying mechanism of why this is happening and can we help reverse this or set it back on the right track?"

If the theory is proven, it won't be the first time there has been evidence of man having an impact on genetics.

A 2003 study by David Coltman from the University of Alberta found that trophy hunters were driving down the horn size of bighorn sheep.The report, published in the prestigious scientific journal Nature, said diminishing horn size was an evolutionary response caused by killing the largest rams before they reached their breeding peak.

"What you would normally expect for bighorn sheep is those that have the largest size and largest horns are those supposed to have the strongest reproductive quality, but unfortunately we remove them from the population before they have a chance to actually pass those genes on from one generation to the next," said Rogers, who is familiar with Coltman's study.

"As a result, it's the other sheep that are reproducing."

source http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/100501/national/whitefish_evolution_1

pikester
05-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Interesting read! I suspect it's not as simple as that but definitely valid point none the less. I have had some concerns about the whitefish population in Newell as well. I remember the first few seasons I started fishing for big pike there & it was always awesome in the fall when the whities congregated in the bays & off the rock points near the bays. It was not unusual to see hundreds of whitefish schooled up on the fishfinder & the pike would hammer big crankbaits- even though some had the tail of a 12" whitie sticking out of their mouths!!!

The last 2 seasons now I have been unable to locate these big schools of whites at any point in the fall/ early winter??

Consequently I have had to move around a lot more than normal to find the bigger pike & have had a lower catch rate. I don't want to blame the commercial guys without some hard evidence but maybe combined with "global warming?", the netting is taking a toll.

fishnut9
05-04-2010, 03:14 AM
Its funny you mention this because its happened alot with many animal species. Elephant tusks are much smaller now because back then we used to kill the ones with the biggest tusks. Its the same as selective breeding but unintentional.

jeprli
05-04-2010, 06:00 AM
Unintentional???:rolleye2:

CeeZee
05-04-2010, 06:17 AM
pretty interesting, and it does make sense, to me lol.

WayneChristie
05-04-2010, 07:12 AM
Rather interesting that the commercial fishery is only worth one million dollars. How much do sports fisherpeople invest in our province every year? Who has the loudest voice, maybe its time commercial fishing was phased out entirely.

pikester
05-04-2010, 08:52 AM
Rather interesting that the commercial fishery is only worth one million dollars. How much do sports fisherpeople invest in our province every year? Who has the loudest voice, maybe its time commercial fishing was phased out entirely.

I thought about that point too Wayne but it depends on how you interperate that particular passage:

"Whitefish are the backbone of Alberta's freshwater fishing industry, which has an estimated worth of $1 million annually in the province and $18 million nationwide."

That could mean that our provincially netted fish are worth $18 mil on the national market & that only $1 mil are actually sold in Alberta, thereby being a total of $19 mil on the market. To your point though I would still like to see a comparison to revenue generated by sportfishing.

mclean
05-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Imformation as provided statistics from the Dept. of Sustainable Resourse Development Statistics Alberta.
[A]320,ooo anglers contribute $350,000,000,oo [three hundred @fifty million dollars ] to the economy. This does not take into account any tourisam dollars that would be contributed to this resourse.
[b] 800 Commercial Fishermen contribute $5,000,000.00 [five million dollars] to the economy.
The number of commercial netters has being reduced some what by government buy outs.
[2] The economic value of sports fishing v/s commercial fishing is a 70:1 ratio.
This clearly indicates where the priority and the importance of proper management of the fishing resourse should be.
Tourisam and local businesses would also benifit if these lakes become known as better class fisheries.

pikester
05-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Imformation as provided statistics from the Dept. of Sustainable Resourse Development Statistics Alberta.
[A]320,ooo anglers contribute $350,000,000,oo [three hundred @fifty million dollars ] to the economy. This does not take into account any tourisam dollars that would be contributed to this resourse.
[b] 800 Commercial Fishermen contribute $5,000,000.00 [five million dollars] to the economy.
The number of commercial netters has being reduced some what by government buy outs.
[2] The economic value of sports fishing v/s commercial fishing is a 70:1 ratio.
This clearly indicates where the priority and the importance of proper management of the fishing resourse should be.
Tourisam and local businesses would also benifit if these lakes become known as better class fisheries.

Thanks McLean, that's pretty much what I was wanting! Aside from the obvious backlash of commercial netters being out of work, it's pretty much a no-brainer that if push comes to shove the sportfishing community should have the ultimate say in the management of our resource.

fishnut9
05-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Unintentional???:rolleye2:

Well unintentional in the way that they dont want the species to get smaller. Not unintentional in the way that they accidently target bigger fish.

walking buffalo
05-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Thanks McLean, that's pretty much what I was wanting! Aside from the obvious backlash of commercial netters being out of work, it's pretty much a no-brainer that if push comes to shove the sportfishing community should have the ultimate say in the management of our resource.

Some more info for all.

F i s h C o n s e r v a t i o n S t r a t e g y f o r A l b e r t a - 2 0 0 6 - 2 0 1 0

http://srd.alberta.ca/ManagingPrograms/FishWildlifeManagement/FisheriesManagement/documents/FishConservStrategy2006.pdf

Goal 3: Fishing Opportunities
To maintain and provide a high diversity, quality and number of different fishing opportunities
across the province, while managing harvest and use at levels that are sustainable.
One of Sustainable Resource Development’s challenges is to allocate, through a public consultation
process, the appropriate use or combination of uses of fish resources that are surplus to
conservation needs, which result in a sharing of the resource between legitimate users and achieve
a range of benefits, while still supporting fishery management objectives. To better understand
who is using fish resources and harvest levels, the department will evaluate the merit of licensing
all users.

The management of fisheries must follow a policy that allows harvest only when a supply of fish
beyond conservation needs has been proven available. The Fish and Wildlife Policy for Alberta
(1982) stipulates that the interim allocation priorities will be in the following descending order,
until supply and demand issues are addressed on a site-specific basis through the allocation
process:

1. Conservation of fish stocks;

2. Alberta Indians fishing for food on specific sites;

3. Métis people fishing on Métis Settlements;

4. Resident recreational use; and

5. Primary commercial uses (e.g., commercial fishing, guiding and tourist angling).

In addition, Sustainable Resource Development is considering the feasibility and merits of treating
any losses of fish and habitat attributed to industrial activities as an allocation of the resource to
industry. Reductions in fish production levels