PDA

View Full Version : Keeping Walleyes

Winch101
05-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I am watching the weather in the south and am starting to think

that the concern expressed by the executive of several of the

walleye related associations , as to the season starting in the

mid or post spawn , where a lot of the bigger fish will be caught .

Their concern has some validity .. I have done most of my walleye fishing

in times and areas where limits were large and we caught and ate ,all

that we legally could . I have a personal lenght limit that I use for eaters

but I am wondering what others think about the size of legal fish

that could , should or would be eaten . If you C&R release all fish

that is commendable , and I am sure the rest of the fish crisp gang

will join me in thanking you profusly ....W101

nicemustang
05-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Interesting thought there W101...

First of all, this is just my opinion, I'm no fish biologist. Although, I know the weather isn't exactly the best lately, odds are that most of the fish would have spawned already. Most of it likely happened when we had that week of warm weather. Yeah sure the water temp isn't up too much, but in the shallows, creeks, bays, etc it was at that time. I know for a fact the creek going into travers was stacked up 3 weeks ago with the fish spawning...they were there, but no confirmation when they actually spawned. I can tell you though it should be pretty easy to find many a male in the area and some may still be milking. They were last year, but last year was late ice off.

Pike caught a newell april 17th were also already spawned out.

Now to your question. I'm part of the fish crisp gang too on occasion. But it would be completely ignorant to keep a bunch of LARGE walleye at this time of year if you didn't know for sure that she hasn't spawned. Keep the milking males instead. If one cares about the fishery he should be throwing all the females back. Although if you don't know how to tell, you should put them all back. However, keeping one eye 50-60 cm isn't going to hurt the fishery, keeping 3 8-10 lb walleye might.

floppychicken
05-05-2010, 02:51 PM
Hmmm,

I've actually kept a few Trout, but I have only ever caught and eaten 1 Walleye in 25 years of fishing in Alberta.

I guess I'm a C&R guy! :)

Cheers,

/J...

uicehole
05-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Most of the southern reservoirs contain murcury to some level. Being paranoid and all I tend to keep only the ones 20 - 24 inches for eating. They'd already been living for 7 years, done at least one spawn and hopefully young enough not to have bioaccumulated too many toxins:sick:

whitewolf
05-08-2010, 01:08 PM
in my opinion i rather keep a 14 incher if i could and throw all the big ones ones back as i personally think any walleye that grows past 8 pounds is passing on better genetics..but most of the regs like travers you gotta keep the monsters and throw the little ones back so i have only kept a couple in my many years of fishing for them.

walleyechaser
05-08-2010, 01:21 PM
I throw them all back, but some of my buddies keep them. I think it would be better if one could keep the smaller ones instead of the bigger ones. Hopefully I get into the usual 30+ walleye nights starting today, but they all will go back unharmed.

walleyechaser

AK47
05-08-2010, 02:13 PM
..but most of the regs like travers you gotta keep the monsters.

LOL, most regulations in Alberta do not let you keep any walleye. We lucky to have at least Red Deer River and Travers where you can keep some, otherwise you would need to drive to SK if you want to keep one.
All this zero limit rule is leading to overpopulation and stunted and small walleyes instead of healthy population with some monster fish. Just check Pigeon lake.

209x50
05-08-2010, 03:01 PM
The limit of walleye we kept last weekend was prespawn females. The limit today was post spawn. This is up by GP in the north.

whitewolf
05-08-2010, 04:19 PM
ya i know pcr is that way too...we need to thin out some of they smaller guys...pcr you can catch them on a bare bait hook...too many fish...not enough food is what i think...