PDA

View Full Version : May Long Weekend Debate

Fishingnutter
05-05-2010, 02:44 PM
So, 2009 I spent May fishing with my Dad around Alberta (neither here nor there, no pun intended). A few days leading up to the May Long Weekend, the news coverage didn't celebrate anything about why we venture off in droves camping but rather became an extension of the law telling us that "They'd be there ready" in numbers. So my Dad and I opted out of the Big Brother weekend altogether.

The news following the weekend then celebrated the boon in tickets the RC's citated, over and over and over again.

I know it gets rowdy. I've been rowdy, you've been rowdy at sometime at some campsite. Did anyone else get the feeling that enforcement went a little overboard and forgot that we can enforce ourselves from time to time? Yes there are bad apples, fine, but the citations sounded more like a cash grab. Who does this over policing really serve? "Noise Violation" is a very ambiguous term. By the sounds of the number of tickets issued, about 5,000 people won't go out this May Long Weekend.

Maybe that's the point.

Your thought's?

sheephunter
05-05-2010, 02:50 PM
While I'm not a fan of big brother, I welcome the extra enforcement on May Long Weekend.

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Biggest thing I see is that most enforcment officers are out during the day. You see very few out in the evening and stuff when the groups that do get carried away start causing issues.

Scotty P.
05-05-2010, 03:00 PM
I know no one wants their party pooped on but the mess and destruction that some long weekend campers cause can take days for locals to clean up. I can tell you that if your out around the Burtstick Lake area on May long, we will be recording licence plate numbers and vehicle descriptions so that anyone that wants to leave their garbage behind will be heald accountable. If you keep your nose and campsite clean, you shouldn't have to worry about any fines.

sheephunter
05-05-2010, 03:01 PM
I know no one wants their party pooped on but the mess and destruction that some long weekend campers cause can take days for locals to clean up. I can tell you that if your out around the Burtstick Lake area on May long, we will be recording licence plate numbers and vehicle descriptions so that anyone that wants to leave their garbage behind will be heald accountable. If you keep your nose and campsite clean, you shouldn't have to worry about any fines.

Just curious who "we" is Scotty.

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 03:05 PM

So if you write down my license plate and I leave and someone else camps in the same spot and makes a mess and you dont have his lcense number your gunna try and hold me accountable:lol: bring it on!
Enforcment needs to be a little different than just writing down license numbers.

Scotty P.
05-05-2010, 03:05 PM
Just curious who "we" is Scotty.

"We" is me, my brother and a local rancher who just so happens to have his own Chopper. This is the same "We" who spent 3 days last year cleaning up after a few yahoos. Real outdoorsmen don't seem to be an issue at all with this. From our experience it has been large groups of younger people who only go camping 3 times a year and use it as an excuse to do anything they want.

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 03:08 PM
"We" is me, my brother and a local rancher who just so happens to have his own Chopper. This is the same "We" who spent 3 days last year cleaning up after a few yahoos. Real outdoorsmen don't seem to be an issue at all with this. From our experience it has been large groups of younger people who only go camping 3 times a year and use it as an excuse to do anything they want.

A couple words of advice... if you average joes come walking into many camp sites near burntstick(mine included) trying to write down a bunch of numbers you could wind up in a mess you really dont wanna deal with.

Oh and from my experience its bad apples of all ages that are causing problems and messes!

SG

sheephunter
05-05-2010, 03:10 PM

Ah okay, thought maybe you had some official capacity. Not really sure I want a chopper close enough to my campsite to write down my licence number but I do understand your frustrations with those that leave garbage behind.

Fishingnutter
05-05-2010, 03:10 PM
I feel kinda bad for starting this thread as I've not been an Albertan for 15 years and am not really sure how crazy things have become on this sacred rite of passage weekend. Though we always did our camping at Minnewanka, so the garbage no-no was a major no-no but I still don't remember a Super-Sized posturing of the law.

sheephunter
05-05-2010, 03:12 PM
It's the stuff going on outside the designated campgrounds that's a huge issue for sure.

Scotty P.
05-05-2010, 03:21 PM
A couple words of advice... if you average joes come walking into many camp sites near burntstick(mine included) trying to write down a bunch of numbers you could wind up in a mess you really dont wanna deal with.

:lol::lol::lol:

I knew something like that was coming. If you had read my post you would have seen that we will be in a helicopter, so you won't have a chance to teach us a lesson. I'm not trying to spoil anyone fun for anyone but I'm not spending days cleaning up after people who leave their crap everywhere. If you're taking your garbage with you, you will have no problems. Just a heads up though. I know at least 2 other ranchers who will be DRIVING around taking dawn licence plates so maybe you could voice your displeasure to them but I doubt you will. Have fun!

Okotokian
05-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I feel kinda bad for starting this thread as I've not been an Albertan for 15 years and am not really sure how crazy things have become on this sacred rite of passage weekend. Though we always did our camping at Minnewanka, so the garbage no-no was a major no-no but I still don't remember a Super-Sized posturing of the law.

Don't feel bad, but I think it has gotten out of hand the past few years... various culprits young and old. I'm grateful for the cops and other authorities being out there. A few bad apples......

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 03:34 PM
:lol::lol::lol:

I knew something like that was coming. If you had read my post you would have seen that we will be in a helicopter, so you won't have a chance to teach us a lesson. I'm not trying to spoil anyone fun for anyone but I'm not spending days cleaning up after people who leave their crap everywhere. If you're taking your garbage with you, you will have no problems. Just a heads up though. I know at least 2 other ranchers who will be DRIVING around taking dawn licence plates so maybe you could voice your displeasure to them but I doubt you will. Have fun!

Biggest thing is that vigulanties running round can cause more problems than good in most cases. You flying around over peoples camp sites could be a bigger disruption than some of the partying. I know most of the farmers in the Burnstick area(the ones closest to the lake anyways) so im sure that if there out there they will be stopping in for a beer:).

I really hate to say but you guys running around getting license numbers really will have no backing without proof that that person actually left the mess.

It would be nice to see a weekend with no issues but no matter how many guys are gunna be running around trying to get justice or how many Enforcment officers are out and about a certain amount is gunna take place. The only thing that is gunna slow this down is actual Police presence and the actual culprits getting heavy fines.

SG

nicemustang
05-05-2010, 03:38 PM
I am also un-aware....so is thinking about camping at Pigeon Provincial park not a good idea??

Scotty P.
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
Ah okay, thought maybe you had some official capacity. Not really sure I want a chopper close enough to my campsite to write down my licence number but I do understand your frustrations with those that leave garbage behind.

Sorry I should have clairified that we will have binoculars. We don't want to bother anyone while their camping and a helicopter buzzing around just above a campsite is just as ignorant as people leaving their garbage behind. I realize I must come off as a party pooper on this topic but all we want is for people to think for two seconds aabout how their actions my have consequences. I would also like to note that when I say garbage I'm not just talking about some empty bottles or food wrappers but burt cars, tents and lawn chairs etc. We needed to get a flat deck to haul away a burt car last year from buddies grazing lease. After last year the RCMP in Sundre advised the ranchers who complained about the garbage to write down info to help discourage this type of behaviour.

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I see your not even from the area Scotty P.

spot and stock
05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
I don't think age has as much to do with it as beer boose and free camping. I grew up and still live 15 minutes from Mclean creek and use the area year round. I have spent a few May longs out there partying and watching the odd car burn down, but hey so has everyne else that goes, a good friend of mine even tried parasailing behind a quad one year. I think the simple solution would be a check stop on the way out, with a full bag of garbage for every person in a vehicle being the toll. No garbage $50 fee for clean up costs. I think the police on the other hand are just fine, imagine how the place would look if they turned a blind eye.

Willow Creek has already been shut down to trucks because of idiots, we need the law inforcement or one by one the rest will follow Willows lead.

Scotty P.
05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Biggest thing is that vigulanties running round can cause more problems than good in most cases. You flying around over peoples camp sites could be a bigger disruption than some of the partying. I know most of the farmers in the Burnstick area(the ones closest to the lake anyways) so im sure that if there out there they will be stopping in for a beer:).

I really hate to say but you guys running around getting license numbers really will have no backing without proof that that person actually left the mess.

It would be nice to see a weekend with no issues but no matter how many guys are gunna be running around trying to get justice or how many Enforcment officers are out and about a certain amount is gunna take place. The only thing that is gunna slow this down is actual Police presence and the actual culprits getting heavy fines.

SG

I totally agree. It can't be stopped until there is a bigger police presence which is I guess the reason that there are so many tickets handed out on the long weekends. I know no one likes to feel like they are being policed especially by someone who isn't a cop of fish and wildlife officer but every long weekend this is a huge issue. No one wants to see this area turned into another Wyprous and this what the Sundre RCMP suggested we do to try to curb these problems.

DANOMAN
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I am also un-aware....so is thinking about camping at Pigeon Provincial park not a good idea??

dude camp at carsland and fish the bow downstream of the weir! :bad_boys_20:

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 04:07 PM
I totally agree. It can't be stopped until there is a bigger police presence which is I guess the reason that there are so many tickets handed out on the long weekends. I know no one likes to feel like they are being policed especially by someone who isn't a cop of fish and wildlife officer but every long weekend this is a huge issue. No one wants to see this area turned into another Wyprous and this what the Sundre RCMP suggested we do to try to curb these problems.

Sure lots of tickets are handed out and that is good in a way but very very few of them tickets are directed towards the people that make the mess and cause the disturbances.

Its easy to write numbers down but that isnt saying that was the actual guy in that spot at the time the mess was made. You would have to hit every site morning and evening to accomplish this. Ive seen 2 to 3 groups of campers use the same spot through out a long weekend.
We have camped just south of Burnstick may long for alot of years and you may see a police cruiser drive past but they never once come in and check anything out.
I hate seeing the mess as much as the next guy. Them areas are where I grew up and are in my back yard. There will always be a mess to a certain extent with the number of people hitting the west country and its impossible to be at every site when each and every camper leaves.
SG

DANOMAN
05-05-2010, 04:11 PM
Scotty you sound like a real winner ! you can write my plate number down 800 times when your in court you will be the one who has to prove who made the mess! oh and don't get me wrong i hate people that leave messes behind them no respect ! But for your vigilante justice sending your little farm hands to take plate numbers at night and flying your little chopper overhead because you fear being the little farm hand ! !! oh by the way you would be amazed what a lazer beam light will get you maybe slay a chopper!! :fighting0074:

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Scotty you sound like a real winner ! you can write my plate number down 800 times when your in court you will be the one who has to prove who made the mess! oh and don't get me wrong i hate people that leave messes behind them no respect ! But for your vigilante justice sending your little farm hands to take plate numbers at night and flying your little chopper overhead because you fear being the little farm hand ! !! oh by the way you would be amazed what a lazer beam light will get you maybe slay a chopper!! :fighting0074:

Exactly. Im all for the enforcment and keeping the areas clean but when some guy that isnt even from the area starts saying he is gunna come out and start being the hero and possibly cause bigger problems thats just stupid.
If people see guys actually making the mess then by all means report them.
But what happens if you write down a few little old couples plate numbers on Sat morning and they leave that day and a bunch of puncks come and make a mess in that spot. Who then gets harassed?:snapoutofit:

If you wanna be the hero come do it in person and see who your turning in:fighting0030:(I like these new ones)

SG

Scotty P.
05-05-2010, 04:20 PM
Sure lots of tickets are handed out and that is good in a way but very very few of them tickets are directed towards the people that make the mess and cause the disturbances.

Its easy to write numbers down but that isnt saying that was the actual guy in that spot at the time the mess was made. You would have to hit every site morning and evening to accomplish this. Ive seen 2 to 3 groups of campers use the same spot through out a long weekend.
We have camped just south of Burnstick may long for alot of years and you may see a police cruiser drive past but they never once come in and check anything out.
I hate seeing the mess as much as the next guy. Them areas are where I grew up and are in my back yard. There will always be a mess to a certain extent with the number of people hitting the west country and its impossible to be at every site when each and every camper leaves.
SG

Once again I agree with you. Unless you actually see someone do something it's impossible to have them held accountable. Our hope is that if people think there is a chance they will get busted they will think before they do really destructive things. I would hate for this area, or any for that matter, get closed down so that you and your family or anyone else wouldn't be able to enjoy it. I apologize if I cam off as trying to police the bush, it's just a bit of a sore spot with us. Hope you have a wonderfull and warm long weekend.

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Once again I agree with you. Unless you actually see someone do something it's impossible to have them held accountable. Our hope is that if people think there is a chance they will get busted they will think before they do really destructive things. I would hate for this area, or any for that matter, get closed down so that you and your family or anyone else wouldn't be able to enjoy it. I apologize if I cam off as trying to police the bush, it's just a bit of a sore spot with us. Hope you have a wonderfull and warm long weekend.

:happy0180:

noslack
05-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Scare tactics don`t usually work...nowadays atleast.

Yes I also like these new icons!!

Kim473
05-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Why write? A Picture is worth a thousand words and less time. Hell just take a sniper rifle up in your chopper and be judge,jurry and prosecutor. :fighting0021: I agree the people who ruin a nice peacefull evening should be held accountable but 2 quiet 55 year old parents with 2 well behaved kids can't even sit at there own campsite and drink a beer, thats what I don't like. If you do you will be fined the same amount as 2 rowdy 25 year punks that drink a case of beer each in an hour. LOL. Gotta love our free system.

aulrich
05-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I would rather watch a dimestore fisherman marathon than camp any long weekend in Alberta or just about anywhere. I don't know if I have just gotten old (which I have) but compared to Manitoba or BC the camping oppritunity is Southern Alberta is just so pittiful.

Just like the lakes there is so much pressure on camping spots it just seems impossible to get away from the dip-sticks. The last time the family and I bothered to camp elswher than william watson in K country, it was at Travers, it was 4 am before the drunks a few sites down shut up and to be honest they were not even that loud we were done.

And that was in a formal camping area, I could just imagine what the free for all area is like.

Back in the day we were taught to only leave our footprints, if the kiddies would act like adults big brother would not need to be.

mooseknuckle
05-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Exactly. Im all for the enforcment and keeping the areas clean but when some guy that isnt even from the area starts saying he is gunna come out and start being the hero and possibly cause bigger problems thats just stupid.
If people see guys actually making the mess then by all means report them.
But what happens if you write down a few little old couples plate numbers on Sat morning and they leave that day and a bunch of puncks come and make a mess in that spot. Who then gets harassed?:snapoutofit:

If you wanna be the hero come do it in person and see who your turning in:fighting0030:(I like these new ones)

SG

X2 Man some people!! Okay there's doing the right thing, then there's getting off on being some sort of party poopin vigilanty, get a life:snapoutofit:

Fishingnutter
05-05-2010, 05:37 PM
Maybe a camping edict has changed, it's sad. Like I said, we've all been rowdy but I don't remember being oblivious to those around me or vice versa.

Is it just, that the long weekend brings out the once a year camper's, those who haven't experienced things without a constant barage of sound?

It would be nice to have zone-free zones but by the sounds of it, we're all to be deemed bad apples. Another fellow mentioned being ticketed for having a couple of beers alongside youngins downing a kegs worth. Some years back at a family picnic on labour day, two pimple faced tweens sporting peace officer uniforms called the big boys in and had us fined for open wine ($600 total fine and liquor poured out), there is a point when something is within reason,,, having a finger wagging from a kid who just graduated up a knotch from crossing guard,,, oh I don't know where I'm going with this .... other than, how does one know that they've pegged the right yahoo? Make of car? How they're shaved? Their choice of Music?

Okotokian
05-05-2010, 06:16 PM
I'm confused. Are we on the "Wimpy legal system, just enforce the damn law" rant, or the "Damn storm troopers, lay off people just having some fun" rant?

We have laws. I expect them to be enforced. You can legally drink in your campground. If someone is wandering around elsewhere with a bottle in their hand and they need it that badly then they need to quit crying and campaign to have the law changed.

some guy
05-05-2010, 07:48 PM
???
Did I read this thread right?
Someone says he's going to step up and help and then gets dumped on??
Where is the give-your-head-a-shake smilie?

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 07:57 PM
???
Did I read this thread right?
Someone says he's going to step up and help and then gets dumped on??

Not really sure how you figure this will help? First off the only ones that will know he is even out there are a couple guys off here and anything he gets for license numbers will be usless.
We all agree that if people see guys leaving a mess to turn them in but to run around thinking that your gunna just take down some numbers and change the world well... you can insert your give your head a shake smilie here!

SG

some guy
05-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Not really sure how you figure this will help? First off the only ones that will know he is even out there are a couple guys off here and anything he gets for license numbers will be usless.
We all agree that if people see guys leaving a mess to turn them in but to run around thinking that your gunna just take down some numbers and change the world well... you can insert your give your head a shake smilie here!

SG

I can't figure out why people are feeling threatened by someone trying to help. I'm also not sure how you know that his help will be useless. And where does he saying he's trying to "change the world"?

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 08:36 PM
I can't figure out why people are feeling threatened by someone trying to help. I'm also not sure how you know that his help will be useless. And where does he saying he's trying to "change the world"?

You know why it bugs me! Because what if I or any one on here leave a camp site perfect and people come in after and make a huge mess, and old eye in the sky there reports that we camped there and made the mess and makes an issue of it. Now if some Enforcment Officer that didnt get his quota for the weekend decides to persue this on some false info then I gotta deal with the wing nuts. They will have no grounds to stand on but it will still be a hassel just because someone is trying to be the hero.

If he catches guys leaving the mess and can proove it then fly right at her and turn them in but unless the proof is there it will go no where.

SG

KyleM
05-05-2010, 09:08 PM
What are you saying your going to do? Beat him up for writing down lic plate numbers?

You guys sound like a bunch of idiots.

I dont go anywhere for May 2-4 simply because you run into a few of the guys posting on this thread.

WaterSkeeter
05-05-2010, 09:12 PM
What are you saying your going to do? Beat him up for writing down lic plate numbers?

I dont go anywhere for May 2-4 simply because you run into a few of the guys posting on this thread.

Agreed

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 09:24 PM

So some person out writing guys numbers down whether they have done anything or not and reporting the numbers because he went back later and sawa mess seems right to you?

I have no issues with turning guys in for leaving a mess. And I dont have anything to do with leaving any garbage out there but I personaly have delt with an Idiot turning a license plate in saying I hit their truck in Canmore when I was actually sitting at a drilling rig at the time so I know what kind of **** around it is when stuff like this happens.

SG

KyleM
05-05-2010, 09:33 PM
Its not against the law to record lic plate numbers.

If you havent done anything wrong, whats to worry about?
As you say, it wont hold up in court.

I wouldnt give a damn if someone was writing my plate down, is it worth starting something over?

Its may long weekend...its for relaxing.

WaterSkeeter
05-05-2010, 09:37 PM

I wouldnt give a damn if someone was writing my plate down, is it worth starting something over?

I agree, IF they had taken my plate down then good for them. Hard to prove someone left the mess without pictures and such right? If your not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about.

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 09:56 PM

No one started anything we stated what we think and if I dont agree I dont agree. I personaly dont think it will work in detering or stopping any of the shenanigans that go on.
SG

ESOXangler
05-05-2010, 10:00 PM
im with S.G even thou ill have nothing to hide, I still have a problem with some guy writing down my license plate number. Sorry but flying around in a heli with some binos, writing down license plate # is way tooo Mr. Leahy for me. Go buy Randy a cheeseburger and have a sexy day.

p.s i do appriciate people working together to ensure our resources are respected but c'mon man a heli with binos and writing down everyones license. seriously?

sheepguide
05-05-2010, 10:01 PM
I agree, IF they had taken my plate down then good for them. Hard to prove someone left the mess without pictures and such right? If your not doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about.

LOL biggest thing is right or wrong proof or no proof that guy that turn my plate in made it so I had to proove where I was and what I was doing and when my plate was turned in both the truck and I were parked at a drilling rig at the time this person said it happened. There was no physical proof or pictures but I still had to proove my innocence.
Just hate to see some family have to deal with the same crap is all.
SG

sheephunter
05-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Sorry I should have clairified that we will have binoculars. We don't want to bother anyone while their camping and a helicopter buzzing around just above a campsite is just as ignorant as people leaving their garbage behind. I realize I must come off as a party pooper on this topic but all we want is for people to think for two seconds aabout how their actions my have consequences. I would also like to note that when I say garbage I'm not just talking about some empty bottles or food wrappers but burt cars, tents and lawn chairs etc. We needed to get a flat deck to haul away a burt car last year from buddies grazing lease. After last year the RCMP in Sundre advised the ranchers who complained about the garbage to write down info to help discourage this type of behaviour.

I've flown in a lot of helicopters and looked through lots of sets of binos and even with image stabilizing binos you'd have to get way too close for my comfort to read licence plates. I appreciate what you are trying to do but I know a chopper buzzing me in my campsite would not make me happy and you'd end up being the one reported to the RCMP. I don't think it's going to help the problem and may make it worse.

mooseknuckle
05-05-2010, 10:12 PM
LOL biggest thing is right or wrong proof or no proof that guy that turn my plate in made it so I had to proove where I was and what I was doing and when my plate was turned in both the truck and I were parked at a drilling rig at the time this person said it happened. There was no physical proof or pictures but I still had to proove my innocence.
Just hate to see some family have to deal with the same crap is all.
SG

I have to agree 100% with SG here. What a waste of time really your gonna throw in gas cash for a freakin helicopter and snap photos of peoples vehicles in hopes to catch sokme jerk that can't clean up after him self... even if you do:sign0111: it would get thrown out so fast!!! Your wasting your time seriously. Land the choppa and I'll buy you a beer. I'm starting too think your absolutley full of it and dreamt this up to diter people from going out and having a good time. Or i'll just join you in dream land and start bringing RPG'z with me camping!!!:fighting0021:

Fishfinder
05-05-2010, 10:14 PM
???

Does this work - :snapoutofit:

diesel777
05-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Wow, I think everyone needs to take a step back and breathe. Scotty has his heart in the right place, his execution might be unorthodox, sure, but its comforting to know people still care for the well being of others and our resources. Granted if you are a young redblooded Albertan and feel like you are on top of the world and free, you might not appreciate a person threatening that by taking your license plate number down. As far as a helicopter flying around getting license plates, I think was suggested more out of frustration than anything else, won't happen. Lets just take care of each other out there that weekend and lets show some patience and constraint and have worth while discussions with positive points on this forum. Nothing is more upsetting than seeing good outdoors people bickering with each other when the real problems are on the outside. In my time we partied absolutely huge, but respected authority. Now it is scary because young guns don't have that same respect. When you have young kids with you and your camping and all you hear are screams of vulgarities and insults and you have to keep trying to shield them from it. worst part is, if you do say something you put yourself at risk of being attacked. I won't be there this year, but thank you to those who will try to maintain some order and to those who give a hand, either because its their job or through volunteering, to clean up the mess when its over, beacause like it or not the mess will be there when the dust settles. Take care everyone! Will :sign0111:

Fishingnutter
05-05-2010, 11:27 PM
Now I'm sorry for starting this thread; I honestly beleived that we were being over policed but what I'm gathering is that some places have really gone to pot. I'm not sure if it exists in Alberta but people can adopt trails and more remote sites and steward them in B.C, it actually works quite well and the yahoo element seems to evaporate when it becomes a community effort to upkeep (i.e., some kids parents, and friends, and their neighbours are stewards),, everybody's backyard mentality.

The "Pack it in Pack it out" thing works well.

pikester
05-06-2010, 12:48 AM
I think the punks who wait all winter just to get crazy hammered & make a huge mess for 3 or 4 days really ruin the whole thing for everyone but the answer is simple for the common folk like me: Go camping during any of the other 16 or so weekends of summer. Stay home & watch tv, build rods, tie flies, take the kids to West Ed Mall, whatever. Any time I tried to do anything out west during May Long I got snowed on anyway!

big zeke
05-06-2010, 06:00 AM
I've gone to McLean most May 24s for many years now and the stuff that is done in the back-country is amazing. Usually the first weekend in June a few local offroad clubs have to come out and fill dumpster after dumpster with garbage (chairs, tents, car parts etc). The damage to the creeks from driving in them is also a long term issue but continues unabated.

It really only takes a few bad apples to get the whole lot branded and this might be what is happening here. The cops are enforcing laws on all, if I did something illegal I should expect to get a ticket. I can understand why they don't patrol as much at night (kinda unsafe) and this might be prime time for troublemakers. One year I chatted with a cop who mentioned he tagged the same guy 3 times that day for booze...I feel sorry that they can't be more effective. I draw the line on my own involvement mainly due to safety concerns, anything I can do to help the cops I will.

If it was up to me I'd double the enforcement yet again and make some sort of 3 strike rule so if they tag you more than 3 times on the weekend they can arrest you...and keep you in a cage...outside...without food...doused in BBQ souce...with an angry tiger in the cage...the tiger just quit smoking...and was dumped by his girlfriend...and has a sore tooth...

You get the idea.
Zeke

Scotty P.
05-06-2010, 07:48 AM
I thought about what I posted last night and put myself in Sheepguides shoes. He's completely right and I'm embarrassed buy what I posted. Taking peoples licences plates down wouldn't stop any BS so much as it would harass people who are just trying to enjoy their weekend. I would be just as upset if someone took my info down and I hadn't even done anything wrong, especially when I was on public land. This would only lead to bigger problems than some garbage being left behind. If the problem was that bad the county or RCMP would do something about it. It was a poorly thought trough idea conceived out of frustration and it will NOT be happening. My apologizes to anyone I upset.

diamonddave
05-06-2010, 09:40 AM
I thought about what I posted last night and put myself in Sheepguides shoes. He's completely right and I'm embarrassed buy what I posted. Taking peoples licences plates down wouldn't stop any BS so much as it would harass people who are just trying to enjoy their weekend. I would be just as upset if someone took my info down and I hadn't even done anything wrong, especially when I was on public land. This would only lead to bigger problems than some garbage being left behind. If the problem was that bad the county or RCMP would do something about it. It was a poorly thought trough idea conceived out of frustration and it will NOT be happening. My apologizes to anyone I upset.

Feel free to stop in anytime Scotty, I think you had the right intentions but just a little over board. You seem to be the kinda guy that takes the west country to heart and I, and others, appreciate it. The White 4 door Dakota and the wall tent will be up all over this summer, so feel free to come in and have a B.S.

Okotokian
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
I don't think there is anything particularly wrong with citzens acting as the eyes of the police on this issue. In the end it is the legal authorities who will decide if there has been a violation, not a "vigilante". People just need to realize that they must be respectful and unobtrusive about it. No flying overhead in a copter buzzing people. See something out of place? jot down a note, take a pic, don't say anything, give it to the cops. I'm not sure how reporting a litterer is so much worse than reporting a poacher, something we all support.

sheepguide
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Feel free to stop in anytime Scotty, I think you had the right intentions but just a little over board. You seem to be the kinda guy that takes the west country to heart and I, and others, appreciate it. The White 4 door Dakota and the wall tent will be up all over this summer, so feel free to come in and have a B.S.

X2 ill be in the burntstick area(powerline road) on the long weekend. White F-350 with bear paw prints in the back window and red flairside ford. :happy0180:

Hope I wasnt being to big of a ***** but I just hate seeing the average Joe thats on the up and up being targeted for little things. We all need to pressure the bad apples(and its not just young punks) and pressure the authorities to get things headed in the right direction.
SG

Scotty P.
05-06-2010, 02:49 PM
X2 ill be in the burntstick area(powerline road) on the long weekend. White F-350 with bear paw prints in the back window and red flairside ford. :happy0180:

Hope I wasnt being to big of a ***** but I just hate seeing the average Joe thats on the up and up being targeted for little things. We all need to pressure the bad apples(and its not just young punks) and pressure the authorities to get things headed in the right direction.
SG

No worries at all. When you post something as retarded as I did you have to expect to get called on it. Like you said before, it wasn't a very practical idea and it would only harass people on their time off which is just as bad if not worse than leaving garbage and does nothing to stop the problem people. I promise to pull my head out of my *** and put myself in other people positions before I come up with anymore ideas this stupid. If I run into you on the long weekend, I will make sure to stop in a apologize personally.

sheepguide
05-06-2010, 02:55 PM
No worries at all. When you post something as retarded as I did you have to expect to get called on it. Like you said before, it wasn't a very practical idea and it would only harass people on their time off which is just as bad if not worse than leaving garbage and does nothing to stop the problem people. I promise to pull my head out of my *** and put myself in other people positions before I come up with anymore ideas this stupid. If I run into you on the long weekend, I will make sure to stop in a apologize personally.

No apology required you were just thinking for the beterment of the area. Just stop in for a beer and a BS. First road on the left heading west on the power line road. It will be the first camp on the right. Ask for Darcy.
SG

recce43
05-06-2010, 03:09 PM
nice thread lol good luck writing plates down when vechiles are parked in the bush lets all man up here if you see something report it to srd or rcmp let them do there jobs

sheepguide
05-06-2010, 03:14 PM
nice thread lol good luck writing plates down when vechiles are parked in the bush lets all man up here if you see something report it to srd or rcmp let them do there jobs

Think its been covered on here recce

recce43
05-06-2010, 03:17 PM
well then lets all have a whiskey then

sheepguide
05-06-2010, 03:18 PM
well then lets all have a whiskey then

Boy if I could get one into the rig past the military police I sure would:angry3:

recce43
05-06-2010, 03:23 PM
meat heads are easy to fool i spent 10yrs in the forces

sheepguide
05-06-2010, 03:33 PM
meat heads are easy to fool i spent 10yrs in the forces

LOL ya but with the oil patch the way it is and my rig working 365days a year I aint gunna risk it. My work truck has been searched 4 times in the last month and a half.
SG