PDA

View Full Version : Lake Sundance Perch removal May 8 at 10 am

Sundancefisher
05-06-2010, 08:07 AM
Who wants to help net perch?

Please come to Lake Sundance at 10 am on May 8, 2010 if interested.

Address:
Sundance Lake Residents Association Ltd.
63 Suncrest Way S.E.
Calgary, Alberta. T2X 1T9

Please be there at 10 am. If you can PM me that you are coming...that would be great.

Waders will be handy if cold out.

also bring a fish bonker or two...

Nets will have been in for 7 days. We caught 1453 last weekend. Lots of bigger ones as well. Size seems to be 1-2 inches bigger on average than 2009. We will split the perch up after netting.

Cheers

Sundancefisher
05-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Who wants to help net perch?

Please come to Lake Sundance at 10 am on May 8, 2010 if interested.

Address:
Sundance Lake Residents Association Ltd.
63 Suncrest Way S.E.
Calgary, Alberta. T2X 1T9

Please be there at 10 am. If you can PM me that you are coming...that would be great.

Waders will be handy if cold out.

also bring a fish bonker or two...

Nets will have been in for 7 days. We caught 1453 last weekend. Lots of bigger ones as well. Size seems to be 1-2 inches bigger on average than 2009. We will split the perch up after netting.

Cheers

In response to a PM I will note that live perch can not be taken from Lake Sundance or for that matter any lake in Alberta. The penalties are very steep.

However...bonked perch can make for excellent meals!

fish on
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Sry season opens

Sundancefisher
05-07-2010, 08:19 AM
Weather is looking nice for Saturday!

Sundancefisher
05-07-2010, 10:19 PM
see some of you in the morning. I am curious as to how many we have in the traps.

Corro
05-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Hope you don't mind if I post pictures Sundancefisher. It was a fun experience today, everyone went home with a bag of fish. If anyone in a photo wants a copy of a picture they are in pm me your real name and I'll send you an unedited copy.

http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/351/neta.jpg
http://img709.imageshack.us/img709/9266/net2z.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/2723/net3.jpg
http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6205/gatheringb.jpg
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/9423/catch.jpg

nick0danger
05-08-2010, 03:03 PM
where there lots of trout in the nets again?

Kim473
05-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Wow some fair size perch there. Too bad u did not get them before spawning time.

Sundancefisher
05-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Wow some fair size perch there. Too bad u did not get them before spawning time.

We are catching fewer trout in the traps... There are lots of perch in the lake still. Water temperature is back down to 7 degrees. Perch spawn at 8-12...peak at 10-12 degrees. Maybe they stopped and will start up again this week as the water warms. We are finding clumps of eggs in the net but not as many as last week. We have removed lots of perch this Spring but females are too smart to go into the trap. We will have to hope the trout eat the baby perch this Spring...

Cheers

Sun

noslack
05-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Now that is one sweet bow!!!

KyleM
05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
Im not sure this is an option for you guys but we had the same issue in Ontario at one of our ponds.

We picked up 40 large LM bass, all were males...we checked before we put them in aswell. The Perch were all but gone within 2 years and the bass left the Rainbows alone..they never got agressive because there were no females.

The pond was roughly 10 acres.

Rockymtnx
05-09-2010, 11:00 PM
Sundancefisher, I have been following your posts on the perch problem for the past year. I noticed in this catch it looks like there was one good size perch in there. What is the biggest you have seen come out of there?

hockey1099
05-09-2010, 11:29 PM
Im not sure this is an option for you guys but we had the same issue in Ontario at one of our ponds.

We picked up 40 large LM bass, all were males...we checked before we put them in aswell. The Perch were all but gone within 2 years and the bass left the Rainbows alone..they never got agressive because there were no females.

And to get rid of the bass you can drop in Black Mamba water snakes. And to get rid of the snakes you can bring in a rare species of Snake eating Gorrila. Dont worry the gorrilla's will freeze to death in the winter.

Im pretty sure more bucket biology is not going to be taken into consideration. But who wouldnt love a bass lake?

spopadyn
05-10-2010, 10:59 AM
And to get rid of the bass you can drop in Black Mamba water snakes. And to get rid of the snakes you can bring in a rare species of Snake eating Gorrila. Dont worry the gorrilla's will freeze to death in the winter.

Im pretty sure more bucket biology is not going to be taken into consideration. But who wouldnt love a bass lake?

What? I think he said 40 male bass. Where I come from 40 male bass cannot create anymore bass - perhaps biology is different in your neck of the woods. It means - 40 bass will eventually die out to 0 bass. No, we don't need snakes. Jeez.

Sundancefisher
05-10-2010, 12:19 PM
Sundancefisher, I have been following your posts on the perch problem for the past year. I noticed in this catch it looks like there was one good size perch in there. What is the biggest you have seen come out of there?

Biggest perch I ever caught was 16 inches. Biggest in the last year...14 inches... Biggest this Spring 12 inches. Average size has gone up from 6 to 7.5 inches so far.

I would try it...but we can not get the eggs...nor the permit to do that. I would not be too fearful of the largies taking over. We are outside their range and they have not been able to be successfully introduced. They are also very easily caught and 1000 would be fished out very fast. Still...I would love to have some fish robots killing perch...save my personal time. Controlling perch causes :angry3:

spopadyn
05-10-2010, 01:03 PM
Biggest perch I ever caught was 16 inches. Biggest in the last year...14 inches... Biggest this Spring 12 inches. Average size has gone up from 6 to 7.5 inches so far.

I would try it...but we can not get the eggs...nor the permit to do that. I would not be too fearful of the largies taking over. We are outside their range and they have not been able to be successfully introduced. They are also very easily caught and 1000 would be fished out very fast. Still...I would love to have some fish robots killing perch...save my personal time. Controlling perch causes :angry3:

Sundance, are there such a thing as triploid Pike?

whitewolf
05-10-2010, 03:15 PM
my oscars would love those little perch...to bad they dont eat dead ones as i go through a hundred large goldfish a week....ugh...they eat better than me....lol

Sundancefisher
05-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Sundance, are there such a thing as triploid Pike?

Nope...rule of thumb is you can't stock natives.

hal53
05-10-2010, 08:09 PM

HUH????, apparently there is Bass down there in the center of the universe??? need a ride to the Bus Depot???