PDA

View Full Version : Brook Stickleback Sightings

cskremer
05-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Hi,

I am a researcher at the University of Calgary, starting a project on brook stickleback. I am currently looking for lakes which contain them, so I can sample multiple populations. If you know of a lake, or have a lake on your land which you know to contain brook stickleback, please contact me. I would appreciate any information that you may be able to provide me. Thank you very much!

-Cory
cskremer@ucalgary.ca

go-big-or-go-home
05-06-2010, 04:08 PM
I think i read buffalo lake east of red deer had a stickleback population

turnpike
05-06-2010, 05:03 PM
u are correct go-big, go-home. Buffalo lake does have brook stickleback.

FishingForLife
05-06-2010, 05:36 PM
You can find Brook Stickleback almost every where in this province. But one lake I know of that has quite the Stickleback, is Marl Lake in Kananaskis at the Elkwood Campground. Just follow the trail.

BrainTan
05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Just about every body of water has them, even reportings of finding them in artesian wells

uicehole
05-07-2010, 10:55 PM
Highly unlikely any one of us can recognize your brooks from the other 2 or 3 other stickleback species in Alberta. I know I don't know the diff. There are sticklebacks in Cow lake, Tay lake, possibly Rat (including hugh population of chubs), Birch, etc. Another one of these live baits that idiots like to transplant. Best of luck with your research.

maddwapper
05-11-2010, 07:50 PM
could you show a picture ive seen lots of stickle backs in lots of lakes . thought they were all the same

noslack
05-11-2010, 07:58 PM
The Brook Stickleback will have 4 to 6 dorsal spines and the dorsal fin will be equal to the anal fin.

The Ninespine Stickleback has 7-11 dorsal spines and the dorsal fin will be equal to the anal fin aswell.

The Threespine Stickleback has 3 dorsal spines of unequal length, the first two spines are large and the third spine is smaller. (Located in Hasse Lake and other ponds around Edmonton)

This was taken from the "Fish of Alberta" Book by Lone Pine.

The Atlantic Richfield Dam is full of Brook Stickleback!

Sundancefisher
05-11-2010, 08:58 PM
Hi,

I am a researcher at the University of Calgary, starting a project on brook stickleback. I am currently looking for lakes which contain them, so I can sample multiple populations. If you know of a lake, or have a lake on your land which you know to contain brook stickleback, please contact me. I would appreciate any information that you may be able to provide me. Thank you very much!

-Cory
cskremer@ucalgary.ca

I worked on a fish study at the UofA back in 1986/87 ish. We traveled all over northern Alberta sampling for fish. Recorded lots of stickleback, fathead minnow, finescale and redbellied dace. You should be able to find it through the UofA. The name of the guy...fails me. Cory or Chris something. Don't blame the memory...

That is one species no one put in our lake thankfully.

I think Miquelon Lake Provincial Park by Edmonton has them

http://www.albertaparks.ca/siteinformation.aspx?id=81