PDA

View Full Version : Preserving smelts/minnows

Geezle
05-06-2010, 10:01 PM
So after catching those couple pike out of the river last week I've got pike on the mind. I caught those guys on hardware, but I want to throw some bait at 'em and see what happens.

I was in Superstore today and saw a big bag of smelts and that got me thinking about all the people that use smelts in the winter ice fishing. I'm pretty sure I'm going to grab a bag, but i want to try preserving some so I don't have to keep freezing/thawing them as they're needed, and I don't have to worry if they spend a few hours sitting in the Jeep or anything of that nature. I also understand it firms them up so they stay hooked a little better.

I know it's come up in discussion before, and I tried a couple searches but came up empty handed.

I googled preserving minnows and came up with a few different 'recipes'...some looked simpler than others. One even involved preserving them with isopropyl alcohol :huh:

So what are your guys' experience with preserving your own smelts or minnows? Any favorite methods you'd care to share?

mooseknuckle
05-06-2010, 11:01 PM
I always buy those ones at superstore too. But only in winter then I just throw them in the box of the truck and they keep frozen and if/when it gets to warm I just toss them. I know once again I'm of no help. Sorry I will say that for pike you don't need bait. Last time I was out everyone was using bait at wab just whent the ice came off.... I'm trying to blow my own horn here but I was really having more success just casting spoons then all these guys throwing bait. But I would just break up the bag into 3-4 smaller bags then freeze them and just take a days worth it works out to be line 2$ worth small sacrifice for fishing I think.

mooseknuckle
05-06-2010, 11:03 PM
I know SPELLING!!! Sorry I've been drinkin again.

Geezle
05-07-2010, 06:06 AM
I always buy those ones at superstore too. But only in winter then I just throw them in the box of the truck and they keep frozen and if/when it gets to warm I just toss them. I know once again I'm of no help. Sorry I will say that for pike you don't need bait. Last time I was out everyone was using bait at wab just whent the ice came off.... I'm trying to blow my own horn here but I was really having more success just casting spoons then all these guys throwing bait. But I would just break up the bag into 3-4 smaller bags then freeze them and just take a days worth it works out to be line 2$ worth small sacrifice for fishing I think.

Yeah, I know I don't *need* bait for the pike...I mean the couple I caught out there were on straight hardware, no bait, but I'm thinking that if there are pike holding in the area, there may be some sturgeon there too. And if there are sturgeon, I want one! :evilgrin:

I also just put a bar fridge in my work trailer last week, so I'm thinking I may end up with a little stash of bait in there as well :character0053:

WayneChristie
05-07-2010, 06:08 AM
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html
:fishing:

ORV
05-07-2010, 07:06 AM
we prefer to keep them as frozen as we can in a small cooler.
in a perfect world we could keep them frozen.....but one thing
we have found for smelts & minnows is to load them up with sea salt.
i am not sure if it is better than table salt but it helps them
from being really mushy after they thaw out.
works better on the minnows than the smelts thou.

orv.

mooseknuckle
05-07-2010, 08:31 AM
Yeah, I know I don't *need* bait for the pike...I mean the couple I caught out there were on straight hardware, no bait, but I'm thinking that if there are pike holding in the area, there may be some sturgeon there too. And if there are sturgeon, I want one! :evilgrin:

I also just put a bar fridge in my work trailer last week, so I'm thinking I may end up with a little stash of bait in there as well :character0053:

I here ya, it allows you to target more than just one species, thats cool you put a fridge in your trailer dude. How many wobbly pops will she hold??

nicemustang
05-07-2010, 08:52 AM
Don't use a preserve, the fish don't like it. A salt brine is better, but don't preserve. You'll be disappointed.

Buy a box of small zip locks, and split up your stock.

Renslipevol
05-07-2010, 11:13 AM
We like to put the smelts in a container, one layer of smelts ontop of salt, then pour salt on top. In a few days they will firm up and not fall apart when you use them. Works for us!

Geezle
05-08-2010, 08:10 AM
I here ya, it allows you to target more than just one species, thats cool you put a fridge in your trailer dude. How many wobbly pops will she hold??

Haha it's just a baby 1.7cf fridge I picked up from Princess Auto, but I'm pretty sure I could stuff at least 2 dozen cans in there :happy0180:

So it sounds like the best thing to do is just salt the bejesus out of them for a few days, drain off the excess water and then store in ziplocks.

Anybody have any idea how long minnows/small smelts will keep in the fridge after salting? The ones you can buy last a long time, and I'd like to hope that mine will last as well :)

thorne
05-08-2010, 08:31 AM
I am with moose on the bag em in small packs and use em as u need em...and superstore is great, but check out T&T..man they have a huge selection of fresh frozen fish in all kinds of sizes and shapes...I have found a few 2-3 inch fishy things...not sure what gthey are but they are tuff, stay on for a long time and pike love em...fun to experiment!!

Geezle
05-20-2010, 08:57 PM
http://www.salmonuniversity.com/ol_brining_herring.html
:fishing:

Hey Wayne, do you use that bluing stuff that they suggest in that write-up? If so, where did you find it? :confused:

Also, did you mess with scenting yours at all?

Fishingnutter
05-20-2010, 09:12 PM
let them dry out, shrivelled from the sun, like the ones you see dried out from messy fisherfolk. then keep them in an airtight jar, come fishing time they work like dehydrated anything and actually stay on the hook longer, bring a good needle for that part.

WayneChristie
05-20-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey Wayne, do you use that bluing stuff that they suggest in that write-up? If so, where did you find it? :confused:

Also, did you mess with scenting yours at all?

I tried some with blueing, got it at wallyworld. Turned all the coarse salt a nice blue, I was getting worried the police would pull me over and think I was transporting methamphetamines :sHa_sarcasticlol:I tried some garlic and anise scented too. I dont believe I caught one fish on the scented ones, all on plain old smelt smell.