PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me out???

tjohnson
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
I wanna take my Dad fishing for the fathers day weekend we both really love fly fishing but I dont know any good spots to go till later in the year can you guys give me some ideas of some places and the gear to use there???
Thanks to everyone in advance!! I was thinking of trying the kakwa for grayling but i dont know if they hit in june!!!

notagoodtroutfisher
05-07-2010, 12:34 AM
where do you plan on going

troutpirate
05-07-2010, 07:16 AM
i take my dad to maligne lake every fathers day.

mikeym
05-07-2010, 08:55 AM
first off, where are you located and how far do you want to travel?

know that info then we can help out a bit more with locations.

rgds
Mike

Okotokian
05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
first off, where are you located and how far do you want to travel?

know that info then we can help out a bit more with locations.

rgds
Mike

Ditto. Amazing how many times people ask the "where to go" questions, or they are selling something, and never indicate where they are. It's a BIG province people! If this were the P.E.I. Outdoorsmen board that would be a different matter. :lol:

tjohnson
05-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Lol sorry guys didn't realize how open ended my question was till i read it again lol im located in Edmonton and willing to travel up to 3 or 4 hours away and make a camping weekend out of it to i was thinkin about heading up towards grande cache and maybe fishing the kakwa but im not sure what the fishing is like up there this early in the year Thanks for your help!!!

mikeym
05-10-2010, 08:58 AM
i would head down to Nordegg myself. lots of nice rivers in that area as long as the runoff is not too bad. by looking at the snowpack, it shoudln't be this year.

some rivers to hit in that area are North Ram, Blackstone, Cline, Brown, Shunda, Nordegg, Bigstone, etc, etc. lots of nice lakes also to stay at like Fish Lake or Goldeye.

Rocky Mountain House is also a decent area. Prairie Creek always produces nice fish and lots of river to explore. also Clearwater, Tay farther west the Elk is nice. lots of nice little streams in that area to explore.

Grande Cache is also a decent place to go. we are going to Pierre Grey lakes the week before. the Muskeg, upper parts of the little Smokey, Berland and countless little creeks in that area and since most of them are not mountain fed, usually aren't as effected by runoff. never fished the Kakwa so can't comment on that one.

another option is either Little Smoky by Fox Creek or the Freeman by Swan Hills. most people only hit this grayling streams in fall, but their is real good fishing in spring and summer, the fish are more spread out, so just about every pool and run has decent fish in them.

that time of year, runoff is going to dictate how the fishing is going to be and where to go. so just keep an ear out for conditions before hand.

rgds
Mike