PDA

View Full Version : Yak fishing the Bow

jusfloatin
05-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I have been getting bugged by my nieces to consider a new hobby being the weir is being transformed to allow yakking.
I have no problem starting a new hobby especially when I can combine it with my most favorite hobby fishing. It does not matter to me whether I am chucking a lure or flicking a fly as long as they hit the water.
Over the 55 years I have lived here I floated the Bow on just about everything that does float and some that did but only for a while so I am willing to give anything a shot.

I guess my question is: are there any members that does Yak the Bow and fish?

Okotokian
05-07-2010, 11:56 AM
I never have but I'm JUST in the process of deciding whether to buy a canoe or kayak (sit on top or sit inside) to do just that. A buddy is offering a 14ft Necky Dolphin that he has used for that. Looked at the Wilderness Systems Tarpon specially rigged for fishing, and some canoes as well. Want something I can run on the Bow and similar rivers and streams, and lakes, for fishing, occasional cruises, maybe an overnighter.

So I'd be very interested to hear answers to jusfloatin's question.

Hey floatin', I'm a 50+ guy too. Maybe we buy two and get a discount!

jusfloatin
05-07-2010, 12:20 PM

Don't get me wrong but it seems the only new things that i get are socks and underware. New is not a term used in my house unless you are taking new to me senario's.

Okotokian
05-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I have to finagle a new rod, etc. I point to our friends and say to the little woman "But Ron went out and bought a new vintage car!" :tongue2: Don't bother calling me whipped. I already know. :LOL:

But she is strangely supportive of this getting a yak/canoe thing. hmmmm what's up?

jusfloatin
05-07-2010, 12:39 PM
Yeah, I hear ya. I have to finagle a new rod, etc. I point to our friends and say to the little woman "But Ron went out and bought a new vintage car!" :tongue2: Don't bother calling me whipped. I already know. :LOL:

But she is strangely supportive of this getting a yak/canoe thing. hmmmm what's up?

She is probably thinking a romantic canoe trip down the bow and you are thinking I bet I would be catch the biggins if I just had a canoe or a yak.

S.A.S
05-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Malibu Kayaks just lowered the price of there stealth 12 fish n' dive. I believe the base price is now $1299. Casting platform and lots of storage.

tjcartmell
05-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I caught the kayak fishing bug a few years back. I have two short 9' WS boats that are really play boats for the beach and river surf but I installed Scotty mounts and they are great for day trips on the river. The only down side is that they are not a dry ride and you get wet. I also have 2 Manta Ray 12's that I take on the Bow but also on lakes that are fully rigged with multiple rod holders, sonar, anchor and drift socks. These boats are much more comfortable but also more expensive. Boats for the river need more rocker than lake boats so you can turn easily. There are lots of kayak fishing websites out there to help with your selection. I also have a Mad River canoe that I rigged up for fishing but since I got the kayaks it hardly ever sees the water.

Tim

Cal
05-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I never have but I'm JUST in the process of deciding whether to buy a canoe or kayak (sit on top or sit inside) to do just that. A buddy is offering a 14ft Necky Dolphin that he has used for that. Looked at the Wilderness Systems Tarpon specially rigged for fishing, and some canoes as well. Want something I can run on the Bow and similar rivers and streams, and lakes, for fishing, occasional cruises, maybe an overnighter.

So I'd be very interested to hear answers to jusfloatin's question.

Go canoe buddy, you wont regret it. Mine gets most of its use paddled solo up and down the Slave River in search of walley and big pike but it can handle far more than that. In this picture we have a quartered moose, hunting gear, and camping gear for ten days for two guys in it. Over 1000 lbs including me and my buddy.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/exophysical/Wabasca_Hunt026.jpg

A properly chosen canoe can handle just about anything you can, kayaks are usualy realy good for whatever their specific intended use is but if you want to do a bit of everything a canoes your ride.

S.A.S
05-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Go canoe buddy, you wont regret it. Mine gets most of its use paddled solo up and down the Slave River in search of walley and big pike but it can handle far more than that. In this picture we have a quartered moose, hunting gear, and camping gear for ten days for two guys in it. Over 1000 lbs including me and my buddy.

http://i668.photobucket.com/albums/vv45/exophysical/Wabasca_Hunt026.jpg

A properly chosen canoe can handle just about anything you can, kayaks are usualy realy good for whatever their specific intended use is but if you want to do a bit of everything a canoes your ride.

How sturdy is your canoe? Could 2 large male 275+ sit in there and move around a bit and not have it tip or rock all over?

Cal
05-07-2010, 08:56 PM
How sturdy is your canoe? Could 2 large male 275+ sit in there and move around a bit and not have it tip or rock all over?

I'm 200, my usual hunting and fishing buddy is around the same and we've never had a problem. Only one man can stand at a time though, two guys at the same time trying to stand while fishing can get dicy. I've spent a bit of time in the canoe so I know how to handle myself, but I've fished with plenty of people who dont have much experience and never had a problem. As long as you choose the proper canoe you will be fine.

Riggpigg
05-08-2010, 08:35 AM
If you are looking for a boat to drift the Bow, and not pack home a moose go get a yak. Mobility, weight, ease of use, loading etc. I have a 14' tandem tourning kayak that I use on Lake Newell without any problems. Even a normal kayak can be rigged up with rod holders and fish finders, and I can pack up to 300lbs of gear with me as well. Not that I would ever want to..lol. Borrow, rent do what ever you can to try both out before you buy. There are many shops in Calgary that run demo days. Bottom line is if you are not comfortable in whatever you buy then it's not gonna get used.

jusfloatin
05-08-2010, 09:20 AM
It's not that I want a boat to drift the Bow as I believe there are better boats than a yak to fish & float the Bow. I have never yaked before so I can't honestly say from experience but I can say from seeing them go down the Bow while sitting on my Pac 1200 that there are better boats to fish & float the Bow at least for me.

It is more of the fact that my nieces are wanting me to join them, I am just hoping there is a way to kill 2 birds with one stone.

I should have been a little more clearer in the size and type of yak I was referring to. They are the ones that are 5' or 6' long and you put on the rubber sock which seals you into the yak.

tjcartmell
05-08-2010, 02:56 PM
You are describing a Sit In Kayak as opposed to a Sit On Kayak. The rubber sock thing is called a spray skirt which keeps you dry. These boats might look like they are only 6' long but most are at least 9'. Search around the Canadian Kayak Anglers site and you will find reviews and opinions on both styles of kayaks.

Tim

Cal
05-08-2010, 07:30 PM
If you are looking for a boat to drift the Bow, and not pack home a moose go get a yak. Mobility, weight, ease of use, loading etc. I have a 14' tandem tourning kayak that I use on Lake Newell without any problems. Even a normal kayak can be rigged up with rod holders and fish finders, and I can pack up to 300lbs of gear with me as well. Not that I would ever want to..lol. Borrow, rent do what ever you can to try both out before you buy. There are many shops in Calgary that run demo days. Bottom line is if you are not comfortable in whatever you buy then it's not gonna get used.

Contrary to popular belief a canoe is far more portable and IMO usualy easyer to load or unload than a kayak. Despite being lighter there realy is no convinient way to carry a kayak. A canoe will weigh more but the wieght rests on your shoulders quite nicely rather than awkwardly on one shoulder like a kayak. I find the length actualy makes loading them easyer, rest one end on one of the roof racks then pick the back up and slide it on. True it can take a bit of skill to take on a stiff wind, a good current, and fish at the same time, any one with hair on their **** should be ok though.:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Duramaximos
05-08-2010, 11:13 PM
I plan on floating my yak on the bow for the first time this spring. I think it will be a blast!

...I'm not going to risk turning this thread into a yak vs canoe debate, but do you ever notice as soon as anyone mentions a yak, someone always jumps in and proclaims how you must be crazy to choose a yak over a canoe :sign0176: