PDA

View Full Version : Best GPS Unit?

KyleM
05-07-2010, 11:02 PM
Im finally going to be switching over from a map and compass to a GPS unit.
I use a GPS in the boat for marking spots but Im looking for something different.

We are going to be heading up into the NWT looking for lakes that can be reached by rough trail. I only have 7 days up there and figured a GPS would be the quickest and most effective route.

Any suggestions? I like a realistic map.

WaterSkeeter
05-07-2010, 11:04 PM
I love my Garmin 60CSX, id recommend it to anyone.

ghostguy6
05-07-2010, 11:14 PM
I love my Garmin 60CSX, id recommend it to anyone.

What he said

WaterSkeeter
05-07-2010, 11:15 PM
and look it up on youtube.com and theres all kinds of crash courses and info on there

deanmc
05-08-2010, 07:57 AM
I have and recommend the garmin map76cs. Same unit as the 60 but with a larger case because it is stuffed with foam so it floats.

DarkAisling
05-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Note that in addition to the GPS, you will probably have to purchase the map software you want. Also (I'm sure you know this) . . . make sure you still have a paper map with you. There are a lot of things that can inhibit communication with satellites (like heavy tree coverage), in addition to the risks of dead batteries, a faulty unit, and faulty satellites (really only an issue if you're not connected to many satellites).

KyleM
05-08-2010, 09:34 AM
Where would I purchase one of these things in GP?
The regular box stores dont carry it, is there a place online that has decent prices?

Thanks guys

DarkAisling
05-08-2010, 09:40 AM
http://www.gpscity.ca/

Their regular prices are quite good (sometimes they have "sales"), and they do have a storefront in Calgary in addition to on-line sales.

BeerSlayer1
05-08-2010, 10:16 AM
If you're looking at the hand-held ones GPS's love to suck battery power, make sure you have several sets of top-quality rechargeable batteries or a case of double a's before you leave.

I'd take a hard look at whether a guy needs to pay extra for the ones with a built in camera. Not required or rarely used in most cases I'd say.

nimrod
05-08-2010, 10:26 AM
I have the Garman Oregon 300 love it, touch screen, can even link wirelessly to another Garmin that can do this, also have a Brunton solar charger, holds two AA, charges as I walk, great on Holiday trips

ORV
05-08-2010, 10:02 PM
f.y.i. new canadian tire flyer has the garmin map 76
on sale for $199.00 . 130.00 off regular price.sale in effect until may 13.
calgary flyer. should be on sale in g.p. as well.

hope this helps

orv.

alinlisa
05-09-2010, 08:01 AM
I use Garmin Oregon 400T and i like it. I recommend Oregon. if you don’t know what to get and buy them from internet not seeing them live what they do and how the map looks like will be a mistake. When i shop mine I’ve seen a lot and don’t look well. The maps is demand to look at it, the screen is small as well as the features. I recommend Garmin Oregon whichever you want they are the same and have the same map. The features are different.

deanmc
05-09-2010, 09:10 AM
f.y.i. new canadian tire flyer has the garmin map 76
on sale for $199.00 . 130.00 off regular price.sale in effect until may 13.
calgary flyer. should be on sale in g.p. as well.

hope this helps

orv.

I bought one of those a while back and returned it to the store. They are not close to the 76csx. they are not colour, do not take the mini sd cards, and only have 8 mb internal memory.

A friend told me about gps city and I was able to catch a sale and buy the map76cs for only 10 dollars more. 209.99. Awesome deal. Neither Crappy Tire Or Wal mart are a good place to buy gps units. IMHO

Izumi
05-09-2010, 09:39 AM
I would recommend GPSMAP 60CSX or Vista HCX.

The Oregons seem nice, but they look too fragile for me.

alinlisa
05-09-2010, 10:19 AM
They are not fragile at all. I use it for fishing, hunting, biking, auto. Is great everywhere. i dropped it for a few times and nothing happen. You have to protect the screen not to drop it on a sharp surface on the screen or scratch it. The screen does not scratch at all on regular usage, is good on dust, dos not get scratch if is dirty and clean. Is the same with all screens thought.
is just suggestion!

Slannesh
05-09-2010, 01:05 PM
60Cx is a great unit.

I've got a Legend HCx which is a similar unit but has a slightly less sensitive antenna but not quite as hard on the batteries.

As someone else mentioned you'll want to buy a set of TOPO maps as well. I've got a version back but it still works well.