PDA

View Full Version : opening day so how was it?

the local angler
05-08-2010, 11:34 PM
ok i hit travers today dispite terrys warnings of the tournament anglers prefishing for the derby. water was kinda murky and windy, still some snow around in various spots.so i started off by fishing off of the docks at the provincial camp ground area and ran into kelly from the fishing hole, great to see him, very lite hits and that was it. so i decided to do some spot hopping and check out the spillway. almost all of the boats were at the spillway and some were sitting so close to the shore you can cast and drop it into their boat. lol. so i left and to check out badger.i decided to take a back road to badger and to my surprize it was like you can only see like two blocks in front of your car. huge friggen grass fire started by what appears to be one of those oil pump things sitting in the field of someones farm. kinda scary when you can see the actual flames and watching it spread fast because of the 15 km winds. fire trucks from local towns was all coming in from all directions and various non fire department that had huge water tankers was running into lomond to fill the tankers and run to the fire. the good news is the fire crews managed to put the fire out when it reached a neigbouring farmers fenceline. lucky lucky. i took some pics of coarse, any ways badger was crowded so i went back to the spillway and started to fish and got some huge hits and a few little ones. the little ones was baby walleyes and the huge hits were pikes galore. i landed one that was incredibly red and measured in at 83cm and 9lb 6oz. fun up until it started to rain slush on us and the entire day was like friggen cold. fishing was really slow for everyone. my pike and a guy beside me pulled in a 52cm walleye and a bunch of tiny ones. boats landed the odd tiny fish and that was it. kinda boring.

Fishingnutter
05-08-2010, 11:40 PM
what a throroughly enjoyable post. thanks

mooseknuckle
05-08-2010, 11:57 PM
it hasn't happened yet!!

uicehole
05-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Stuck at home doing chores so I had to live through your report. Slow fishing but at least you got out. Thanks for posting your report.