PDA

View Full Version : HELP - Beginner Flyfishing on the Bow

tacklerunner
05-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Want to take a rookie and a first timer flyfishing on the Bow or somewhere in the Calgary area for a bit of a training day. Not looking for secret spots or anything but haven't fished the Bow for couple years.

No waders or special gear so to speak. I'm experienced but looking for an accessible area to get them started. Any suggestions on area say from 22X bridge to Carseland? Maybe a smaller stream would be better? They will be using 5 wt rods and I'll have some fun with my 4 wt. Would love to go straight to Crownest but too far for them for 1 day.

Any suggestions or tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm good with fly selection and technique. Mostly looking for a beginner friendly area that's not overly challenging for casting.

Thanks in advance. Appreciate it. :)

Fishingnutter
05-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Want to take a rookie and a first timer flyfishing on the Bow or somewhere in the Calgary area for a bit of a training day. Not looking for secret spots or anything but haven't fished the Bow for couple years.

No waders or special gear so to speak. I'm experienced but looking for an accessible area to get them started. Any suggestions on area say from 22X bridge to Carseland? Maybe a smaller stream would be better? They will be using 5 wt rods and I'll have some fun with my 4 wt. Would love to go straight to Crownest but too far for them for 1 day.

Any suggestions or tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm good with fly selection and technique. Mostly looking for a beginner friendly area that's not overly challenging for casting.

bow bottom trail,, swift but steady water to get a good idea of backcast and learning rolls and you'll probably catch something

cooler
05-09-2010, 11:43 PM

Just north and south of 22x is a good spot, golf course side. Lots of room for back casts, some good holes and riffles with decent sized fish.