PDA

View Full Version : west of caroline

go-big-or-go-home
05-10-2010, 12:32 PM
hey all. does or has anyone on the forum go camping west of caroline and out by corkscrew mountian? are there a fair amount of decent spots a guy could jus pull his unit off the road and camp down a lease road or in a big opening on the side of the road sumwheres?? im thinking of heading that way for my maylong getaway.

cheers

diamonddave
05-10-2010, 12:55 PM
There is lots of spots but if you don't get out there usually by thursday they will all be taken by the warriors....:fighting0074:

sheepguide
05-10-2010, 01:09 PM
X2 on what dave said. Also heard that there could be some random sites closed along rig street for may long. Could just be a rumor but its going around.

go-big-or-go-home
05-10-2010, 03:28 PM
rite on thanks fellas

X2 on what dave said. Also heard that there could be some random sites closed along rig street for may long. Could just be a rumor but its going around.

where is "rig street" at?? a person could pretty much go untill they find a quite spot off a lease sumwhere or sumthin?? i was lookin on the google map and think i found a decent spot, couple diffrent little "lakes" in hiking distance of where i would like to camp. if it happens to rain or snow does it usally turn the roads off the trunk road pretty slimmy?

sheepguide
05-10-2010, 04:19 PM
rite on thanks fellas

where is "rig street" at?? a person could pretty much go untill they find a quite spot off a lease sumwhere or sumthin?? i was lookin on the google map and think i found a decent spot, couple diffrent little "lakes" in hiking distance of where i would like to camp. if it happens to rain or snow does it usally turn the roads off the trunk road pretty slimmy?

Rig street is west of caroline towards corkscrew and the trunk road. First road heading south(left) after the tay river camp site.

You should be able to find a spot but be prepared if you come out friday evening or later to travel a bit befor you find one. If you head south on the trunk road from the old rangerstation there are only a few spots to camp( tee pee pole, moose creek and a couple other random spots.) If tou do go south there is a lease road(first road you come to) that will go to your left and it has a few spots on it.
If you head over corkscrew to seven mile flats there are a good number of spots.(seven mile camp ground is thereand a few random spots right at the flats).

Lots of random camping spots up the cut off creek road. Watch though as this road can get rough.

Another spot you can check out is when heading west of caroline you will come to the end of the pavement, right there is a road heading north(swan lake road), this road has numerous lease roads off of it and many good camping spots.

Hope this helps. Any questions just pop me a PM.
SG

duffy4
05-10-2010, 04:39 PM
my maylong getaway

The trouble with going west just about anywhere in Alberta, is that so many others are on their "maylong getaway" that no one gets away from crowds and noise. And unfortunately garbage and drunken foolishness.

One year I looked to the east and went to Bigknife park on the battle river for a long weekend camping trip. There were no big crowds and no party animals. We had a fine time.

sheepguide
05-10-2010, 05:03 PM
Best thing where we camp west of Caroline is that there are enough random spots that if you wish to be alone you can. If you are camped near someone its pretty much because you choose too. If you wanna camp in the camp grounds out here it doesnt matter what weekend it is they are pretty much full.

Oh and nothing against the east country but I just dont feel happy unless the mountains are near!

SG

go-big-or-go-home
05-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Best thing where we camp west of Caroline is that there are enough random spots that if you wish to be alone you can. If you are camped near someone its pretty much because you choose too.

SG

Thanks sheepguide, thats perfect info.

thats excatly why im heading that way, im hoping if i go west enough then south enough there shouldnt be anyone around for miles.. hopefully. hense my maylong getaway lol lol