PDA

View Full Version : Dolberg Lake update for May 9,2010

Paul C
05-10-2010, 04:51 PM
Dolberg lake was stocked on May 5, 2010. They put in very small fish this year. The fishing was ok but tough getting the bigger ones because of the dinkers they put in ( 6 inch trout ). A grizzly bear was spotted on the north east corner of the lake. Fish and Wildlife has said to me that the area has been deemed for people to be aware of bear movement.
For May 10,2010 @ 17:50 hours there is still a fireban in effect there for Barrhead County including Dolberg Lake. I hope tonyflyfish has better luck in a couple of weeks.
Cheers :cheers: & Happy Trout Hunting.

wildfisher
05-10-2010, 05:59 PM
been there on saturday morning and got locky catching 5 trout ranging from 2 - 4 lbs
they were nailing my presentation.
love that early may trout fishing:sHa_shakeshout:

338Bluff
05-10-2010, 06:56 PM
What was your presentation? We were there as well. It looked liked the best was a number 6 garden hackle adorned with cheese dubbing. The baitdunkers looked like they kicked the flyfisherman pretty good.

We caught a few decent fish on the fly. Had a few other hits, and broke off a dandy but it was so-so

According to the folks camping out there the 'grizzly' was a yearling cinamon phase black bear. Maybe Fish and Wildlife at Barrhead has confirmed or disproved it by now

tonyflyfish
05-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Why didn't any of you stop and say Hi to the guy in the green jon boat with the elevated seat? Camped on the west side of the campground. Trout were not to intersted in flies this weekend but did manage to catch lots of smaller ones. Saw a girl catch a 4.5 lb on Sat afternoon. She was using bait also.

Next time stop and say HI!!!!

Tony

tonyflyfish
05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
and the bear was a black bear-light brown as described above.
I was more cautious of the skunks living in the culverts! If there hadn't been so much traffice I was going to smoke them out of there.

Paul C
05-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Kevin with his girlfriend who caught that hog confirmed that it was a grizzly bear. There is an old sow who comes up from the valley in the spring. Jim and Rita said they thought they heard it around there camper on friday night. Camp with Care !

tonyflyfish
05-10-2010, 09:47 PM
Then there are at least two bears-the one we saw Friday AM was not a Grizz. Kevin was there Sat but didn't say anything to me. You were there Sunday but probably had info from the week before. Any time there has been a Grizz out there they have set a trap-either on the road in or by that
tree hut up on the NE cornor.

Paul is right-be careful of bears out there!

wildfisher
05-11-2010, 04:06 AM
didnt see any bear there when i was there.
I was in a white kia forte
was using power salmon eggs in a red and floresent orange floating presentation with a size 6 or 8 hook and a 2 to 3 feet leeder off the bottom
they were just nailing it.
arrived at arround 8:00 am on saturday and left at around 11:00 am
lost one that was in the 24 - 26 inch range
it took 3 jumps and it was gone

been there 2 weeks ago and cought 2 that were in a 6 - 8 lbs range
let them go and kept smoller ones
let someone else have some fun with those
they were quite a fight on ultra light spinning rod tackle
good lock
i'll be there this friday as well aftr work
:sHa_shakeshout:

Paul C
05-11-2010, 07:53 AM
didnt see any bear there when i was there.
I was in a white kia forte
was using power salmon eggs in a red and floresent orange floating presentation with a size 6 or 8 hook and a 2 to 3 feet leeder off the bottom
they were just nailing it.
arrived at arround 8:00 am on saturday and left at around 11:00 am
lost one that was in the 24 - 26 inch range
it took 3 jumps and it was gone

been there 2 weeks ago and cought 2 that were in a 6 - 8 lbs range
let them go and kept smoller ones
let someone else have some fun with those
they were quite a fight on ultra light spinning rod tackle
good lock
i'll be there this friday as well aftr work
:sHa_shakeshout:
Nice fish,. Do you have in photos those hogs ?

tonyflyfish
05-11-2010, 10:02 AM
Well I talked to Wildfisher then-he had a front licence plate from Poland.

LeonH
05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
I personally saw a bear late Friday evening (past 9pm) on the far north side of the lake. From the distance I saw only black looking animal roaming around the shore so I wanted to check it out closer so I went in that direction via boat.
As I was approaching the shore I noticed that it was a large bear it was light brown looking and the coloring on the head was very light (dead grass type of color especially the snout), he had his head stretched towards me checking what the heck was coming his way. Then he casually turned and started walking away. I was about 30 feet to the end of the lake and he was further another 20-30 feet on the shore. From that distance he seemed to me about a smaller cow in size. I am no expert in bears but when I mentioned to people what I saw they were mentioning that this sounds like Grizz. Anyhow be very careful out there especially if you are tenting.

Tony, my daughter really likes the little net you gave her. Anyways, it was pleasure to meet you.

Cheers,
Leon

Paul C
05-11-2010, 03:44 PM
[QUOTE=tonyflyfish;585308]Why didn't any of you stop and say Hi to the guy in the green jon boat with the elevated seat? Camped on the west side of the campground. Trout were not to intersted in flies this weekend but did manage to catch lots of smaller ones. Saw a girl catch a 4.5 lb on Sat afternoon. She was using bait also.

Next time stop and say HI!!!!

Last year I spent some time showing Kevin and his girlfriend some of the "hellsinky methods " I like to use. She did change her set up to Berkley transition vanish (gold) line 6 lb test which I am sure made a huge difference. Next time you come up to dolberger Tony I will set you up with hellsinky method. The fishing will be getting really good in two weeks or so. Jim and Rita keep good stats on the fishing at this lake. Stop and say hi to them.

LeonH
05-11-2010, 04:12 PM
Hi Paul,:happy0034:

Did you make it to Carson Lake in the past few days? I am wandering if it is stocked yet.

Jayball
05-11-2010, 04:18 PM
What was your presentation? We were there as well. It looked liked the best was a number 6 garden hackle adorned with cheese dubbing. The baitdunkers looked like they kicked the flyfisherman pretty good.

We caught a few decent fish on the fly. Had a few other hits, and broke off a dandy but it was so-so

According to the folks camping out there the 'grizzly' was a yearling cinamon phase black bear. Maybe Fish and Wildlife at Barrhead has confirmed or disproved it by now

i was just going to say... a grizzly?? at dolberg? he is wayyyyy off course ;)

AxeMan
05-11-2010, 04:53 PM

Way off course??? There is more than one grizzly in WMU507. North and west of Dolberg is some quite remote country along the Athabasca river. I have seen grizz tacks in there many times while hunting. Not a stretch at all to have a grizz at the lake. Barrhead county also has an advisory out for grizzly bears.

Paul C
05-11-2010, 05:21 PM
Hi Paul,:happy0034:

Did you make it to Carson Lake in the past few days? I am wandering if it is stocked yet.
I was up at carson two weeks ago and if you check the carson lake thread you will see I caught a couple of nice trout but not very big.
Carson Lake stocking does not bother the trout at this time of year.
I am there next weekend and hope to catch those lunkers just coming off of spawn. The month of may is sooooooooooooooooooo good at that lake and best of all you do not need a boat.
Happy Trout Hunting :)

Jayball
05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
Way off course??? There is more than one grizzly in WMU507. North and west of Dolberg is some quite remote country along the Athabasca river. I have seen grizz tacks in there many times while hunting. Not a stretch at all to have a grizz at the lake. Barrhead county also has an advisory out for grizzly bears.

Really? Honestly... i had no idea. Ha... suppose i gotta out more! All right... today i learned something new then. Thx for that!

Cheers,

Paul C
05-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I put this information up to benefit those who camp and fish there this time of year. I only put up the posting based on facts and reported sightings from some of my clients who camp there or live in Barrhead. That also means I talked to f&w for barrhead county.
A remember the grizz bear :scared0018:that closed the campground a number of years ago and the media filmed the beast trying to get into the fish cleaning stand. I have a alot of respect for an animal of that size.

Paul C
05-11-2010, 05:31 PM
Thx Axeman

LeonH
05-11-2010, 05:51 PM
I have to admit that I have never seen a grizzly in the wild before (I have seen some at a zoo), I did however see several black bears in the wild.

Now, after looking at some pictures on the net of both species of bears I am starting to be convinced that this in fact was grizzly that I saw based on its head, which I remember the best. It sure did not look like typical black bear.

This for sure would not be a huge grizzly (they are probably on a skiny side in spring time anyway) but realy who cares just be carefull out there that is what is important here.

Paul C
09-27-2010, 11:04 AM
A trip to this lake has again produced some good size rainbows. The morning was slow and the fishin was better after lunch time.
The larger ones were hard to catch because of all the smaller ones biting.
The water is still quite warm and the fishing should get better in a few weeks. Happy Rainbow Hunting. :character0110: