PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Lake Lodge?

abhunt
05-10-2010, 06:35 PM
I just booked a 5 day fly in trip to Andrew Lake lodge.I was just wondering if anyone on here has been there and what to expect.We are going Aug 16-20.I have never fished for Lake trout before and wonder what to take for tackle etc.I have done a lot of fishing in my life but never caught a lake trout.I am counting the days till we go!!

sheephunter
05-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Expect them to be deep...90-100+ feet. I'd take a portable downrigger and lots of spoons. You should find some good action in the deeper holes.

TexasTornado
05-16-2010, 11:57 AM
Aug will be tough, large Lakers will lay dormant in the deepest holes. You will need downriggers and large heavy spoons. Like sheephunter said if your not down in that 75ft - 100ft range you'll be hard pressed to catch anything decent.

Bring pink ladies, dipsy divers, jet divers, trolling weights & 3-way swivals if you won't be using downriggers. You will want MH / H somewhere in the 7ft - 9'6 rods with good round baitcasters.

Lots of beer and JD, have fun..............

sheephunter
05-16-2010, 07:13 PM
Not sure I'd say the trout are dormant...they are actually quite active but you need to get down to them. We caught loads of lakers on our last trip to Andrew in August but we had to fish deep. The fishing was actually very good.

TexasTornado
05-17-2010, 12:19 PM
Not sure I'd say the trout are dormant...they are actually quite active but you need to get down to them. We caught loads of lakers on our last trip to Andrew in August but we had to fish deep. The fishing was actually very good.

I thought they become lazy and inactive once they hit the deep holes? Maybe dormant was a strong word, either way they'll be f'n hard to catch during that time.

sheephunter
05-17-2010, 12:22 PM
I thought they become lazy and inactive once they hit the deep holes? Maybe dormant was a strong word, either way they'll be f'n hard to catch during that time.

Neither from my experience. They stay quite active and are often very easy to catch because they are so concentrated. Put a lure in front of them and they hit it. I think a lot of people just don't target them properly in the summer.

mikeo2
05-17-2010, 12:34 PM
Take some big bucktails and white tube jigs. Once you find the deep hole they are in, sit over it and jig, can be very very productive this way. Like sheep said, I have found the lakers to be very active in the summer, its just a matter of finding them.

TexasTornado
05-18-2010, 07:53 AM
Ok maybe lazy and inactive were strong words, i believe "big" lakers become neutral during the dog days of summer but can still be caught in the depths with a proper presentation. I was wrong........

sheephunter
05-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Ok maybe lazy and inactive were strong words, i believe "big" lakers become neutral during the dog days of summer but can still be caught in the depths with a proper presentation. I was wrong........

LOL...I think even saying they are neutral isn't accurate. They do feed often and they do feed actively, it just takes some work to find them and then get a presentation to them. Summertime lake trout often suspend and keying in on the depth can be a real challenge but once you do, the lakers are typically more than willing to bite. A big lake trout needs to feed often regardless of the season.

TexasTornado
05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Ok maybe neutral is a strong word, i think what i was trying to say is that they do feed often and they do feed actively, it just takes some work to find them and then get a presentation to them. Summertime lake trout often suspend and keying in on the depth can be a real challenge but once you do, the lakers are typically more than willing to bite. A big lake trout needs to feed often regardless of the season.

JFK
05-18-2010, 07:00 PM
Yep, have to agree with both of you here lol!!!
Was at Mcay Lk. north of Yellowknife a few years back in Aug. Once we found the deep holes, we sat on top of them jigging, put the biggest lure we had on and they would just hammer it, all at about 10- 12 ft below the boat.Was fun to watch them hit in the clear water.Very big aggresive fish.

11 more days till my North Leland trip.
Thanx for the tips SH.
JFK:sHa_shakeshout:

TexasTornado
05-19-2010, 10:11 AM
Yep, have to agree with both of you here lol!!!
Was at Mcay Lk. north of Yellowknife a few years back in Aug. Once we found the deep holes, we sat on top of them jigging, put the biggest lure we had on and they would just hammer it, all at about 10- 12 ft below the boat.Was fun to watch them hit in the clear water.Very big aggresive fish.

11 more days till my North Leland trip.
Thanx for the tips SH.
JFK:sHa_shakeshout:

I'm sure you'll have a blast at North Leland, good luck! I still have a month to wait..........sucks.