PDA

View Full Version : Gear review thread: open water edition

Geezle
05-10-2010, 08:54 PM
So I was going to post in my pack rod thread about the rod I ended up getting, but then I started thinking about a couple of the other items I got recently, so I searched for a gear review thread. I came across Wayne's hardwater review thread and figured I'd start one for the open water gear.

So anyway, this all started with my pack rod. I ended up getting a Fenwick Highlander 7' ML 4 piece rod. I wanted something I could keep in the Jeep for rapid deployment. Well for something I bought to keep bouncing around in the back of the Jeep, it's probably the nicest rod I own. When you bend it the flex is uniform, there are no stiff spots at the ferrules like I saw on the Ugly Stik pack rod I checked out. Also this rod is quite sensitive, when bouncing a jig along the bottom of the river I can feel everything...with braided line it's like a telegraph :cool:

Paired with that rod I have a Daiwa Crossfire 3iB 2500. Just a cheap reel that I don't feel bad about keeping in the milk crate in the back of the Jeep. Grabbed it because it was inexpensive and came with a spare (plastic) spool. The first time I used it I was really unimpressed. When reeling in, the line would sometimes wind down on to the skirt of the spool. Also the bail was very hard to close...you pretty much had to close it manually, not by turning the handle. After using it a few more times the line is laying down properly where it's supposed to, and the bail isn't nearly as stiff. Drag seems to be fairly smooth. Not my favorite reel, but it's serving its purpose well.

jesse34567
05-10-2010, 09:03 PM
great idea this will take off.

My Review

Shimano Curado 200E7

casts light weight plastics extremely well, has a very smooth drag great for trolling for walleye and pike.

thorne
05-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Great Idea Geeze Ok my turn...Quantom Reels I own alot of em in the spinning class and love all of them. They are tuff, smooth operating and the undestructabla bail wire and maglock bail return system are fantastic! Thing is you get that on kenetic, catalyst, energy, and Tour models. Although there is a noticable difference as you go from the kenetic up to the tour models, the price difference doesn't translate in porportion. I would put the catalyst at the happy medium. Yes the upper reels are smoother, a bit lighter,and so on, but the best bang for the buck would be the catalyst with the kenetic not to far behind......

mooseknuckle
05-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Jay, dude, good call. I don't have lots but here goes. Abu Garcia rod & reel combos 35 - 55$ take alot of abuse and always fish well. I thinks it berkley fire line braid I think? Works good for the price. And lately blue fox spoons for pike seem to really produce!

I was out for some trout and found small jig head & shrimp worked well.

And as the weather warms, a boat and skizzzz or tubey makes up for slow fishing!!!!

Id like to say thanks to my sponsors aswell luck lager, Canadian classics, wife off leave me alone spray.

And the AOF I'm still here!!

Geezle
05-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Wow, this thread was an epic fail! :lol:

Just for kicks though, I'll bring it back to the top :)

Next on the review list is the Pflueger Trion 35 RX spinning reel. I haven't got a lot of time in yet with this reel, but from the little I've used it, and the couple pike I've brought in I can give a few general comments on it. First off I have to say that this is probably the smoothest retrieving reel that I own. Casts quite nice as well, but I do have one complaint, and that is the drag. When adjusting before a cast sometimes I'll pull a little line off the spool, and I noticed that it takes a decent tug to get the drag started. Once it starts the drag is smooth, but that sticky spot at the start concerns me. Hopefully that'll get better with use.

Hopefully some more people will add reviews to the thread :cool:

Arn?Narn.
05-16-2010, 08:45 PM
My truck rod is a Pflueger Supreme on a Fenwick 6ft Medium

The Pfluegers are always nice but the large hole cuts allow much dirt and debris to enter if you are in the thick stuff while fising.

Plluegers are one of my favourites as Fenwick...however, a very important requirement for me is the 6ft rod.

Geezle
05-16-2010, 09:16 PM
My truck rod is a Pflueger Supreme on a Fenwick 6ft Medium

The Pfluegers are always nice but the large hole cuts allow much dirt and debris to enter if you are in the thick stuff while fising.

Plluegers are one of my favourites as Fenwick...however, a very important requirement for me is the 6ft rod.

Just curious why the 6' rod is a requirement?

Since I'm typically fishing from shore I like rods that are a little longer for the extra casting distance. I'm pretty sure all my rods are either 6'6" or 7' :)

Arn?Narn.
05-16-2010, 09:21 PM
I fish a lot of streams and brooks and short cast a lot. I also like getting into the brushy side of things. I have never had very good control on longer rods and in some places, a 7' rod is a bridge..

A 6ft, 6.5 at most is what I am comfortable using...:)

Just to add, the 6ft selection can be limited. Usually very pricey or garbage,.. I was quite pleased to find a few Fenwicks in the mid range.

Just to add, the 6ft selection can be limited. Usually very pricey or garbage,.. I was quite pleased to find a few Fenwicks in the mid range.

My better rod is a G Loomis Trout Series...a shorty as well

Geezle
08-28-2010, 08:06 AM
Well, with everybody getting a bunch of new loot at the big sale at TFH I figured this thread might be worth one more attempt :lol:

This year at the sale I picked up two new reels. The first one I found was a Sidestab 1000RE. The Sidestab is probably one of the best 'bang for your buck' reels that's come along for a while. Smooth reeling, decent casting and durable. I've had a Sidestab 2500RE since last year and I've put it through quite the beating and it still works like a charm. The 1000RE will be going on my 6'6" light action Ugly Stik and should make for a good little river combo :)

The second reel I picked up is a Shimano Saros 1000F. Wow. By far the nicest reel I own now. As soon as I got it I had to go down to the river and try it out on a few nice walleye. Super light, casts like a dream and wicked drag system. This one will mostly be going with my 7' ML Fenwick rod and should work great for trout and walleye duty :)

So let's hear about your guys' new toys! :sHa_shakeshout:

WayneChristie
08-28-2010, 08:18 AM
Best toy I picked up this season was my pontoon boat. The canoe has been beached ever since! Can tie it on the roof of a car, or break it down and carry it inside. We usually end up stacking 2 of them in the back of my truck, they are easy to drag to the water, and great to fish from. Even more fun when a bigger fish takes you for a ride, or jumps into your lap!:scared0018: mounted my fishfinder on it, and can throw on an electric as well.