PDA

View Full Version : sibald report

rocky97
05-11-2010, 04:02 PM
decided to get out and try sibald today. showed up around 12 and fished till 3. managed 15 fish mostly brook trout and a couple rainbow. does anyone know if it has been stocked yet?

whitewolf
05-11-2010, 06:20 PM
as far as i know it hasnt....someone told me the middle of may...not sure tho...where did ya get all the brook trout as i rarely see one of those....mostly cutties and rainbows i see

nicemustang
05-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Sibald meadows? So they were from last year, some nice sizes?

whitewolf
05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
i got a 3 pound rainbow 2 weekends ago...and some nice size cutties

jacenbeers
05-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Whitewolf: Were you the guy there with his wife and daughters? Was it your wife that caught the nice bow?

bowness
05-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Sibbald meadows pond was stocked last week. It also does not winterkill. Sibbald lake was not stocked as of last Sunday. Water is very low and I wonder if they are not going to this year.

smiley1984
05-12-2010, 12:16 AM
i've never been out there any recommendations as for what to use there

FishingForLife
05-12-2010, 09:37 AM
I was out there quite a bit last year, and I tended to catch say 90% Brookies in the far north west corner, and lots of Cutties and Bows in the East picnic area. I find tho, there are bigger bows laying in the creeks on the side of the road. Just from experience. I MAY head out there this weekend. If I do, i'll let ya know.

whitewolf
05-12-2010, 10:14 AM
nope jacenbeers that wasnt me...if you see me out there i am usualy wearing a white jacket with a big wolf on it and as to sibbald lake i cant see them stocking it this year unless the water level comes way up

whitewolf
05-12-2010, 06:39 PM
was that on the other side of the road...often wondered about over there

jacenbeers
05-12-2010, 07:45 PM
I am told there are big brookies and cutts in that creek and that cutts are stocked in some of the deeper beaver ponds. I saw a big trout when looking around in the creek a few weeks ago but couldnt tell what kind it was.

the local angler
05-12-2010, 11:52 PM
just got back from sibbald and managed to meet rocky97, very cool guy. the lake was just on fire with tons of fish rising so obviously its stocked now. it was a trip for me to blow the dust off a 4 to 5 year hiatus on my fly rod and as i knew it i was darn rusty. thanks to a pointer from rocky97 i started to get tons of hits. as i watched him outfish me, lol, then i watched him land a fish to only notice this huge fireball in the sky behind him as i saw this falling star/shooting star come streeking down.very interesting never seen that before. over all i got lots of hits and misses and landed 4 cuttys for the dinner table.great day but didn't like the wind.

FishingForLife
05-13-2010, 08:53 AM
In the side creeks, and side ponds along the road, we've managed about 90% brook, and maybe 10% cutts. But the brooks we caught last year, were tipping the scales at around 1 1/2 lbs - 2 lbs. We were shocked. Just watch out for Beaverzilla out there. As I was fishin in the creek, I seen this huge cloud of dirt on the bottom, and it was coming my way. Well no sooner then I reeled in my line this fricken 150 lbs "Beaverzilla" comes swimming by and frightened the tar outta me. Looks like he could eat a small child.
BUT the fish in the creeks is worth fighting that beav for

Mudslide
05-13-2010, 09:16 AM
Is the creek that runs through Sibbald open year round?

jriad
05-13-2010, 09:25 AM
Where is the Beaver Dam? Across the road I assume? Or do you have to hike up stram a ways?

FishingForLife
05-13-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes, the creek is open all year.

And there are actually a couple beaver dams along the creek. There's one about 100 yrds as you come off the paved road onto gravel by the lookout near the treeline on the south end. Theres another on the second turn on the southwest side (need major waders). And then there are some up the road going toward the #40, but im not sure if they're still there.

mustard73
05-13-2010, 10:15 AM
Any tips on fly patterns for a new fly fisherman? Might try to head out this weekend or after work next week.

Thanks!

FishingForLife
05-13-2010, 10:37 AM
My favourite patterns for Sibbald are BWO's, Mosquitos, Boatman, Scuds, And lots Of Prince Nymphs. Ive got LOTS of Cutts on a green and black Scud, dunno why, but they go retarded over it. When I was a beginner starting there, I got lucky, those bastards would hit just about anything. But as you know with Cutts, they turn off and on like a bloody light switch.

Ray
05-14-2010, 12:03 PM
[QUOTE=FishingForLife;587111]Yes, the creek is open all year.

Jumpingpound Creek & tributaries
June 16 to Aug. 31 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; Bait Ban.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Brook Trout limit 2; Other Trout limit 0; Mountain Whitefish limit 0; Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED

Isn't the creek a Jumpingpound tributary? Not trying to start a fight, it's just that my sons and I were at Sibbald Meadows pond yesterday, and I would have liked to give the creek a try, but I thought it was closed until June 16.

FishingForLife
05-14-2010, 12:36 PM
Jumpingpound & Sibbald Creek are different. The Sibbald Creek boundary starts at the flats or viewpoint. Jumpingpound is on the east swide of the flats, and Sibbald creek on the west. I love jumping pound. But I gotta wait til it opens.
But yeah, the creek from the flats, leading to Sibbald Pond is open all year. I dont believe it's a trib. I dont even know if they touch. I know there are two different creeks beside powderface trail. One East and one West

Ray
05-14-2010, 01:05 PM
Again, not trying to start anything. I would dearly love to fish the creek but, when I look on google earth it looks like that creek runs east and flow to the Jumpingpound. If true, that means it falls under the reg for Jumpingpound and tributaries. But if it isn't a Jumpingpound tributary, wouldn't it then fall under this:

B. For other ES1 Streams, and tributaries, not included under (A) and for fish species not mentioned at a listed stream.
June 16 to Aug. 31 – Trout limit 2; Cutthroat and Rainbow over 35 cm; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30 cm; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
Sept. 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout and Mountain Whitefish limit 0; (where present, Walleye limit 3 over 50 cm; Pike limit 3 [no size limit]; Perch limit 15; Lake Whitefish limit 10; Burbot limit 10); Bait Ban.
Nov. 1 to June 15 – CLOSED

either way, I really think it's closed until June 16. or am I totally missing something?

fishpro
05-14-2010, 01:31 PM
Sibbald Creek is definitely a tributary to Jumpingpound Creek, so it does not open until June 16, and as such the Beaverdams also do not open until June 16th. Even if it wasn't a tributary to Jumpingpound it would not open until June 16th due to the fact that it would fall under general stream regulations for the area. So you can fish Sibbald Meadows Pond, but both the creek and the beaverdams on it are still closed.

FishingForLife
05-14-2010, 11:51 PM
K, so I just found it in the alberta fishing guide. My apologies, your correct. The Jumpingpouond C&R Regs apply to Sibbald Creek, but not the pond. The pond is open all year.

Mudslide
05-15-2010, 12:01 AM
I was pretty sure it was closed, which is why I asked.