- Whitney Lakes Provincial Park

Source: Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation

With files from the Calgary Herald

mibrahim@thejournal.canwest.com

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

See the artical in Edmonton Journal.

Fishfinder
05-12-2010, 06:01 AM
Yup, they're cracking down hard these days. Good on em I reckon. Kinda sux though... for the quiet fisherman, awe well, out comes the thermos. Uncle herb will surely have something to say bout this too.:)

jeprli
05-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Well after learning about this ban on liquor, I rescheduled my long weekend to be from 13-16 May. By calendar it should be good for fishing.

Troutfinger
05-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Nothing like more rules and regulations to keep the sheep safe... I suspect if a person could do nothing legally then the world would be real, real safe.
Just my two cents.

sdimedru
05-12-2010, 08:38 AM
Nothing like more rules and regulations to keep the sheep safe... I suspect if a person could do nothing legally then the world would be real, real safe.
Just my two cents.

or maybe some extra enforcement to allow families an enjoyable weekend.... and allow them to sleep at night?

if you don't like it, choose to camp elsewhere on the long weekends like I did, and then you can still enjoy a few cold ones while camping/fishing...

my 2cents...

Knotter
05-12-2010, 08:53 AM
The bureaucrats that will probably not even spend the weekend camping making policy decisions thinking it makes up for poor enforcement.

I wonder how many tickets they will write.

The yahoo factor does go up on a long weekend but I certainly enjoy watching them struggle with a colapsed tent (from snow) with a mad hangover every May.

Troutfinger
05-12-2010, 08:54 AM
So I guess you like having someone look after you all the time... your choice.

My point of view is that people of a feather will flock together, therefore even the party-ers should have a place to go. But giving up our civil liberties i do not think is the answer... what has ever been improved by more government involvement?

regulating every outdoor loving person is not my idea of solving a problem. Sorry if any "fun loving families" were offended by my point of view.

BTW, I prefer to avoid places where I would find "fun loving families" however I am finding it harder to avoid the ever increasing rules and regulations because some people cannot think of others instead of themselves all the time.
Again, MY two cents.

floppychicken
05-12-2010, 09:42 AM
So I guess you like having someone look after you all the time... your choice.

My point of view is that people of a feather will flock together, therefore even the party-ers should have a place to go. But giving up our civil liberties i do not think is the answer... what has ever been improved by more government involvement?

regulating every outdoor loving person is not my idea of solving a problem. Sorry if any "fun loving families" were offended by my point of view.

BTW, I prefer to avoid places where I would find "fun loving families" however I am finding it harder to avoid the ever increasing rules and regulations because some people cannot think of others instead of themselves all the time.
Again, MY two cents.

Couldn't Agree More....

Besides, the people blowing off steam from the Rat-Race and Life in General having been doing so for decades. Nothing new there....
Worried about Booze and people drinking?... then Join a "Jebus Bible Thumper Camp"! They're in most 'Prime Spots' on just about every Lake anyhow and if I'm not mistaken, they go to bed pretty early. :thinking-006:

Paul C
05-12-2010, 09:47 AM
[QUOTE=Kim473;586325]Sites under the temporary liquor ban during Victoria Day long weekend include:

- Aspen Beach Provincial Park

- Cypress Hills Interprovincial Park

- Dillberry Lake Provincial Park

- Garner Lake Provincial Park

- Ghost Reservoir Provincial Recreation Area

- Jarvis Bay Provincial Park

- Miquelon Lake Provincial Park

- Pigeon Lake Provincial Park

- Wabamun Lake Provincial Park

- Whitney Lakes Provincial Park

Source: Alberta Tourism, Parks and Recreation

This is not an issue in this parks. If you behave in the matter of disturbing others there will be a problem. Always bring a large coffee mug to hold your favorite brew. :happy0180:

clakjp
05-12-2010, 10:03 AM
It is not in the parks that is a problem.It is where all the kids go(free camping). Maclean, waiparous and places like that.I think they should charge for camping in those places for this weekend only.

Nerdapres'
05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Totally pointless without enforcement.

And places like Waiperous, Maclean, etc. will never change without some more officers out there.

Okotokian
05-12-2010, 11:34 AM
Seems the time and sentiment is ripe for some enterprising person to open a private campground that caters to the hard drinkers and partiers. :sSig_welcome2::happy0180: Could have an on-site liquor store and be very clear with all campers at the time of registration that there is no "quiet time". Drinking, singing, stereos are free to go 24/7. Heck, around the clock ATV use allowed. I think there would be a market for it. I just don't want to think what your business insurance costs might be. LOL

honda450
05-12-2010, 11:46 AM
Seems the time and sentiment is ripe for some enterprising person to open a private campground that caters to the hard drinkers and partiers. :sSig_welcome2::happy0180: Could have an on-site liquor store and be very clear with all campers at the time of registration that there is no "quiet time". Drinking, singing, stereos are free to go 24/7. Heck, around the clock ATV use allowed. I think there would be a market for it. I just don't want to think what your business insurance costs might be. LOL

Think ya lost all concept of this post Okie.:angry3:

Okotokian
05-12-2010, 11:53 AM
Think ya lost all concept of this post Okie.:angry3:

Not really. I'm not arguing whether there should or shouldn't be a liquor ban in parks. I just note some people seem pretty upset about it, and that a guy who catered to them, or even the more extreme elements, could do pretty well. I suspect my on's and their buddies would go to such a place. LOL No need to pull your hair out. Not every post is going to go in exactly the direction you think it should.

honda450
05-12-2010, 12:14 PM
Not really. I'm not arguing whether there should or shouldn't be a liquor ban in parks. I just note some people seem pretty upset about it, and that a guy who catered to them, or even the more extreme elements, could do pretty well. I suspect my on's and their buddies would go to such a place. LOL No need to pull your hair out. Not every post is going to go in exactly the direction you think it should.

Yes people should be upset about it. I would be. But I do not camp in provincial campgrounds, never have and never will. I like having a few drinks and shootin the BS over a campfire at nite. I enjoy that. Been part of my camping expierence since I was knee high to a grass hopper and listen to the storys my Grandfather. Father and Uncles around a campfire while they had a few drinks.
Its a family tradition.

You would need some tweezers to pull my hair out. hehehe

gatorhunter
05-12-2010, 12:29 PM

Bottles or cans? Glass or plastic? Pay your fee and get a free knife or bring your own? Need an axe to split the firewood! How about bringing the guns for afternoon plinking?

Try thinking before you post such idiotic statements!

Okotokian
05-12-2010, 12:31 PM

I'm not that far behind you. Starting to get sunburned dome.

Okotokian
05-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Bottles or cans? Glass or plastic? Pay your fee and get a free knife or bring your own? Need an axe to split the firewood! How about bringing the guns for afternoon plinking?

Pssst. It was a joke.... I suspect you were the only one that took it seriously. LOL And all those zombie movies? They're made up. :sign0161:

honda450
05-12-2010, 12:57 PM
HaHa the best storys to tell just before ya go to bed when you camping is the grizz bear storys and the samsqanch storys. And I got a few whoppers. My son is a way better at it than me though. And I taught him. hehehe

We had a woman from Arizona that would not sleep in her tent after those storys. So she slept in my truck. :bad_boys_20:

AlbertaSasquatch
05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
Hey Honda, ya got any samsqanch stories to tell me?

honda450
05-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Hey Honda, ya got any samsqanch stories to tell me?

Had some on my trail cam but the sucker ended up eating it. :2mo5pow:

duffy4
05-12-2010, 04:48 PM

Now there is a great idea.
Dig a big hole on one side of the area and bulldoze all the "left overs" into it and cover on Tues. morning.

A few years and there would not be much need of enforcement on May long weekend as the bad apples would all be in the hole.

sheepguide
05-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Yes people should be upset about it. I would be. But I do not camp in provincial campgrounds, never have and never will. I like having a few drinks and shootin the BS over a campfire at nite. I enjoy that. Been part of my camping expierence since I was knee high to a grass hopper and listen to the storys my Grandfather. Father and Uncles around a campfire while they had a few drinks.
Its a family tradition.

Looks like guys better learn to tell campfire stories faster as now they have to be done by 11pm. Couldnt imagine going out fishing till its pretty much dark(which lots of people do) then coming back to camp and only being alowed to have a fire for an hour or so.
And yes Honda its alot of peoples tradition but may not be for much longer.
:sad0020:
SG

walleyechaser
05-12-2010, 05:14 PM
agreed 100% sheepguide, the 11pm things is ridiculous its basically still light in summer at this time... perfect time to be sitting around the campfire reminiscing on the days events

JohninAB
05-12-2010, 06:00 PM
Never know, stays warm and dry till the long weekend may be a full fire ban on.

fishnut9
05-12-2010, 07:15 PM
or maybe some extra enforcement to allow families an enjoyable weekend.... and allow them to sleep at night?

if you don't like it, choose to camp elsewhere on the long weekends like I did, and then you can still enjoy a few cold ones while camping/fishing...

my 2cents... Very true i dont know how many times a nice quiet fishing trip turned into a stressful time because of some hooligans. Its embarrassing when you have kids around. Drunk people yelling ef this and that and that effing fish while a child is only 10 feet away from them. It is possible to have fun without alcohol people

seahawkfisher
05-12-2010, 07:24 PM
i wouldn't worry too much about sittin by the campfire unless it's your BBQ. i only know of one or two spots within about 3hrs of edmonton where there has not been a fire ban on may long the last few years
cheers (tongue in cheek)

75ft Arborist
05-12-2010, 07:36 PM
I don't see how they can enforce the ban! My beer is going to be in my trailer and thats where i will drink it. "Out of sight, out of mind" I honestly don't think that they are going to do a search and seizure on every vehicle.
As for the fire ban its usually "no open fires" "pit" being ok. Well that's been my experience anyway.

sheepguide
05-12-2010, 08:16 PM
Never know, stays warm and dry till the long weekend may be a full fire ban on.

Thats why I camp where I do. Last municipality in alberta to ever have a fire ban! Lots of years go by without a fire ban at all.

SG

sheepguide
05-12-2010, 08:23 PM
It is possible to have fun without alcohol people

Yes it is. Do I drink beer just for the fun? NO. I have a few beer in the evening because its what I do. I do it at home and I will do it camping. Do i get rowdy? No. Do I get loud? No. Should I be punished because others are? No. What do I do if I see this happening? I confront them. If that doesnt work then I will call the authorities. If they dont do anything or it continues ill keep calling till they do.

Biggest thing is( and im not saying guys on here do it) that alot of people I hear complain of this kind of stuff never do anything about it. They complain and thats it.

SG

honda450
05-12-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes thats water in those water bottles officer, not vodka :sign0161:. And that ice tea in the other one is whiskey. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

S.A.S
05-12-2010, 09:03 PM
. And that ice tea in the other one is whiskey. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Hittin the juice a few days early? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

pikester
05-12-2010, 09:26 PM
I don't see how they can enforce the ban! My beer is going to be in my trailer and thats where i will drink it. "Out of sight, out of mind" I honestly don't think that they are going to do a search and seizure on every vehicle.
As for the fire ban its usually "no open fires" "pit" being ok. Well that's been my experience anyway.

I don't think the booze ban is directed at you or me for that matter because I also have a few wobblies while camping. It's aimed at the yokels who sit around the bonfire till 3am yelling, swearing, & keeping everyone within 100yards awake. Guys like you & I who sit around qietly with the wife or a buddy are not going to elicit a response from the law.

mooseknuckle
05-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Myself were camping the week after so it doesn't bother me however I'm curious to hear the feedback on how it worked. My opinion guys out there like me with the family will just be smart about it. Keep your booze in the camper and bring a travel mug. Most likely there will be a fire ban if not the fires out by 11 really sucks. What ever the case hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend.

fishnut9
05-13-2010, 12:12 AM
Yes it is. Do I drink beer just for the fun? NO. I have a few beer in the evening because its what I do. I do it at home and I will do it camping. Do i get rowdy? No. Do I get loud? No. Should I be punished because others are? No. What do I do if I see this happening? I confront them. If that doesnt work then I will call the authorities. If they dont do anything or it continues ill keep calling till they do.

Biggest thing is( and im not saying guys on here do it) that alot of people I hear complain of this kind of stuff never do anything about it. They complain and thats it.

SG

yeah but the ratio of people like you and people like i describe is 1 to 10. I drink and i dont get rowdy but living in a place full of rowdy rig pigs an alcohol ban is about to happen.

Kim473
05-13-2010, 05:18 AM
The thing that gets me is a family of 4 that are quiet and resectfull will get a ticket sitting down for supper having a beer. You can not drink in your campsite so it will just send the people out in there boat and drink. LOL.

sheepguide
05-13-2010, 07:42 AM
yeah but the ratio of people like you and people like i describe is 1 to 10. I drink and i dont get rowdy but living in a place full of rowdy rig pigs an alcohol ban is about to happen.

So what your saying is that rig hands are causing the problems now:snapoutofit: I am a RIG PIG thanks very much.
Its all types that cause issues. Rich, poor, old, young, rig hands and carpenters. Dont point your finger at one group.

honda450
05-13-2010, 07:52 AM
Its all types that cause issues. Rich, poor, old, young, rig hands and carpenters. Dont point your finger at one group.

Yup thats true. I just call em weekend warriors.:mad3:

Fishfinder
05-13-2010, 07:53 AM
:bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20::grouphugg:

fishnut9
05-13-2010, 11:42 AM
So what your saying is that rig hands are causing the problems now:snapoutofit: I am a RIG PIG thanks very much.

Sorry but alot of the people i come across that act like this are usually rig pigs. My inlaw is one and him and all his friends party as hard and as loud as they can before they have to go back. I just think that a camp site is the last place a person should get wasted. Too bad there arent bears where i live. Anyways who needs beer when you got:bad_boys_20:.

mooseknuckle
05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
Sorry but alot of the people i come across that act like this are usually rig pigs. My inlaw is one and him and all his friends party as hard and as loud as they can before they have to go back. I just think that a camp site is the last place a person should get wasted. Too bad there arent bears where i live. Anyways who needs beer when you got:bad_boys_20:.

Hey I know people get just as stupid after smoking, ask the guy a buck lake last year who took half of his foot off chopping wood high as kite in his hippy sandles!! Hey nothing against the " smokers " just don't forget it's an illegal substance. So don't be knocking the boozies it just makes you a hipocrit

firegod74
05-13-2010, 12:12 PM
I can't help but notice that all these campgrounds are in what I call southern Alberta. I guess May long I'll sit in my provincal campgroud, drinking a beer, and wondering what you southerners did to make this happen.
CHEERS! :happy0180:

fishnut9
05-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Hey I know people get just as stupid after smoking, ask the guy a buck lake last year who took half of his foot off chopping wood high as kite in his hippy sandles!! Hey nothing against the " smokers " just don't forget it's an illegal substance. So don't be knocking the boozies it just makes you a hipocrit

Hey you and i both know that weed is only illegal because of politics. No it doesnt make me a hypocrite. Tell me how many people have gone out there and gotten high off weed, blacked out and killed or seriously injured someone. Now how many cases have there been similar to this that involve alcohol. MJ is alot less harmful for a human than alcohol is. It takes years to die from smoke inhalation from smoking. It can take only 1 hour to die from alcohol poisoning.If you really think about it alcohol is just as dangerous as cocaine if abused. So keep that in mind before you knock the green buddy. Also chopping wood is a dangerous job altogether. There are hundreds of cases out there of people hurting themselves totally sober.

sheepguide
05-13-2010, 01:21 PM
Hey you and i both know that weed is only illegal because of politics. No it doesnt make me a hypocrite. Tell me how many people have gone out there and gotten high off weed, blacked out and killed or seriously injured someone. Now how many cases have there been similar to this that involve alcohol. MJ is alot less harmful for a human than alcohol is. It takes years to die from smoke inhalation from smoking. It can take only 1 hour to die from alcohol poisoning.If you really think about it alcohol is just as dangerous as cocaine if abused. So keep that in mind before you knock the green buddy. Also chopping wood is a dangerous job altogether. There are hundreds of cases out there of people hurting themselves totally sober.

Cant argue with great logic like that :happy0034: Worst part about your logic is you actually beleive it. :lol:

Fishfinder
05-13-2010, 01:27 PM

I concur 110%.
The may long thing is silly. I don't party like I used to and understand both sides of the story here, here's what I think....It's only one weekend of the year for the teens to get out and have a good time, sure they will be messy and loud but so be it. Let em enjoy it. Get shmamered, puke a lil, wake up in the morn and wonder why they are laying outside their tent with their pants down. It's quite simple IMO, if someone aint a fan of the "craziness" that happens on May long, jus camp/fish at a calmer spot. Yaya, i know everyone has the right to camp/enjoy the outdoors jus as much as the next person, but really, cmon, it's only one weekend. Let the kids have fun. We were young once too....remember?
Aint on nobody's side here....jus my 2 sense. :bad_boys_20::shark:

fishnut9
05-13-2010, 04:04 PM
I concur 110%.
The may long thing is silly. I don't party like I used to and understand both sides of the story here, here's what I think....It's only one weekend of the year for the teens to get out and have a good time, sure they will be messy and loud but so be it. Let em enjoy it. Get shmamered, puke a lil, wake up in the morn and wonder why they are laying outside their tent with their pants down. It's quite simple IMO, if someone aint a fan of the "craziness" that happens on May long, jus camp/fish at a calmer spot. Yaya, i know everyone has the right to camp/enjoy the outdoors jus as much as the next person, but really, cmon, it's only one weekend. Let the kids have fun. We were young once too....remember?
Aint on nobody's side here....jus my 2 sense. :bad_boys_20::shark:

unfornately though this is the only weekend other people have to go fishing and relaxing.

fishmania
05-14-2010, 08:43 PM
I welcome the ban
I go camping to get away from the rat race and noise of the city and then to have some yahoos in the campground Im at getting drunk and rowdy
It really ticks me off and It happens all the time not just May long
Keep the drunkin rudeness at the bars
Keep it out of the campgrounds and parks were families are there to enjoy the PEACE of the outdoors

fishead
05-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Won't be long, I can see myself getting banned from walking in public because my shoelace is untied.
Why not just enforce existing laws instead of more nanny state BS.

greylynx
05-14-2010, 09:05 PM
During the next provincial election Remember:

BAN Eddie Stemach, and his pile of ministers.

Everybody else in the province hates him and his henchman.

That is how you get things done instead of whining and complaining

Just remember: You have to get off your rear end and vote::thinking-006:

fishnut9
05-15-2010, 03:05 AM
Won't be long, I can see myself getting banned from walking in public because my shoelace is untied.
Why not just enforce existing laws instead of more nanny state BS.

WOw that is so irrelavent its dumb. How many cases have there been where people have gotten drunk by a lake and drowned. Drunk people at campsites are a big problem and it ruins a nice family outing. you know how many times ive had to confront a bunch of hooligans at obrein park because they were cussing infront of my son. People should have more respect. These rules are created for a reason. You my friend need to use common sense instead of using generalization and speculation.
Im just hate when people blow things out of poportion. Its like if the government legalizes gay marriage. then you get some guy saying what next when can marry animals. You my friend are that guy.

fishead
05-15-2010, 08:33 AM
WOw that is so irrelavent its dumb. How many cases have there been where people have gotten drunk by a lake and drowned. Drunk people at campsites are a big problem and it ruins a nice family outing. you know how many times ive had to confront a bunch of hooligans at obrein park because they were cussing infront of my son. People should have more respect. These rules are created for a reason. You my friend need to use common sense instead of using generalization and speculation.
Im just hate when people blow things out of poportion. Its like if the government legalizes gay marriage. then you get some guy saying what next when can marry animals. You my friend are that guy.

Please give me a break with your preaching. All I am saying is that there are laws already in place. Why not just enforce those. Not sure what gay marriage has to do with any of this but for the record I am a bit of a HOMOPHOBE and until the government says I cannot have my own opinion I will stay that way.
:love0025:

seahawkfisher
05-15-2010, 09:24 AM
laws only affect the people who obey them
my $0.02
cheers

fishnut9
05-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Please give me a break with your preaching. All I am saying is that there are laws already in place. Why not just enforce those. Not sure what gay marriage has to do with any of this but for the record I am a bit of a HOMOPHOBE and until the government says I cannot have my own opinion I will stay that way.

its called an analogy. You are blowing this out of proportion. You are saying one little liqour ban is going to lead to you not being able to walk around without tying your shoes. Youre just like the guy who thinks gay marriage will lead to beatiality. So youre telling me i cant state my opinion but you can state yours.

fishead
05-15-2010, 11:11 AM
its called an analogy. You are blowing this out of proportion. You are saying one little liqour ban is going to lead to you not being able to walk around without tying your shoes. Youre just like the guy who thinks gay marriage will lead to beatiality. So youre telling me i cant state my opinion but you can state yours.

Not sure what beatiality is or what it has to do with said liquor ban. If anyone is blowing this out of proportion it is you MY FRIEND. All I did was state my thoughts on this and the fact that that there just seems to be more laws created every other day that in my opinion are designed to protect me from myself instead of targeting the people that are not obeying the law (ie. long gun registry). Instead of commenting with your own thoughts you choose to attack mine with comments of beasteality and gay marriage.
This will be my last response to you as I feel you have nothing constructive to add to this.
:)

S.A.S
05-15-2010, 11:20 AM

Gay marriage will lead to bestiality tho. It was illegal to be gay back in the day now look at the "Progress" we have made. People that have sex with animals have just as much rights as gays do. By allowing those types to marry we have opened up a door that has nothing but trouble down its path.

BobLoblaw
05-15-2010, 01:50 PM
Gay marriage will lead to bestiality tho. It was illegal to be gay back in the day now look at the "Progress" we have made. People that have sex with animals have just as much rights as gays do. By allowing those types to marry we have opened up a door that has nothing but trouble down its path.

I read this part to my girlfriend & asked her what she thought of this.
She replied,"BAAA-AAA!!!", and went back to eating some grass...:innocent:

diamonddave
05-15-2010, 01:59 PM

:snapoutofit::1041::sign0023::126fs2277341::2mo5po w::confused0024:

S.A.S
05-15-2010, 02:41 PM
:snapoutofit::1041::sign0023::126fs2277341::2mo5po w::confused0024:

I know so crazy eh, It is already legal in some country's and is not far fetched to think it will come here.

diamonddave
05-15-2010, 03:29 PM
I think you guys should get an award for the most completely derailed thread on this forum. Congratulations

fishnut9
05-15-2010, 04:24 PM
I know so crazy eh, It is already legal in some country's and is not far fetched to think it will come here.

Lol hes making fun of you bud. You are crazy gay marraige will not lead to beastiality becase animals cannot speak for themselves. So i guess sex before marraige will lead to rape lol. You kinda sound like an evangelist. Also in those countries gay marriage is still illegal. New rules will be created people as long as new crime is committed. I cannot believe a person in this era could think like that. Just when i think there is hope in society it all gets crushed. And considering your past posts on this thread you are obviously a troller so im not even gonna respond to you anymore. Good day to you sir!

duffy4
05-16-2010, 12:49 AM
I think you guys should get an award for the most completely derailed thread on this forum. Congratulations

I agree with that! They should both be banned for a few weeks and their names posted on a "Banned notice board" as to who they are and why they are banned.

matathonman
05-16-2010, 01:25 AM
This liqour ban's been in effect for a couple years now in the parks. It's nothing new. If your not irresponsible and being foolish you have nothing to worry about. Nothing wrong with having a few around the fire after dinner till 11 or 12 o'clock and packing it in.Myself I don't get back from fishing untill 9-10 and then have to cook dinner, eat , clean-up and stoke the fire for a couple beer and have a bS session about the day and make a plan for the next. By then it's time for bed cause you gotta get up at 6:00 to start coffee and breakfast and make lunch for the next day. I've had no problems, in fact met some nice folks camped out beside us, who in turn had no problem with us.
If your that guy you have nothing to worry about. I'm not saying I haven't partied my arse off till all hours off the night but there is a time and a place forr that (i.e. the farm,guitars around the fire...two or three) and not among neighboring families you don't know just looking for a peacefull weekend in a wonderful provincial park.

Can't wait to see where this thread goes next!:rolleye2:

raab
05-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm thinking they put the ban in place to keep the local resources (Paramedics,Police, and Fire) in there respective communities and not out at the campground all weekend. They still know people are going to drink but they don't want it getting out of control so if people aren't respectful or clearly intoxicated and causing problems they have the right to dump there liquor and issue a ticket.

Dunno that's just my 2 cents

Okotokian
05-18-2010, 01:47 PM
I'm thinking they put the ban in place to keep the local resources (Paramedics,Police, and Fire) in there respective communities and not out at the campground all weekend. They still know people are going to drink but they don't want it getting out of control so if people aren't respectful or clearly intoxicated and causing problems they have the right to dump there liquor and issue a ticket.

Dunno that's just my 2 cents

I suspect you are absolutely right. Still, too bad people will have to "hide" it and be nervous if any authorities come around. A shame, caused by the behavior of a few.

Albertadiver
05-19-2010, 08:07 AM

Wow. A thread on the may long weekend liquor ban and you start blabbing about your desire for barnyard animals?

At least it looks like your buddy is going to not have to go to jail....

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/05/18/13992326.html

Ok... back to the thread.

I worked at a provincial park at Aspen Beach in Gull Lake about 12 or 13 years ago. AWESOME summer job. Stacking wood, driving around in golf carts, mowing and trimming stuff. Lots of fun. Anyhow, we all dreaded the May long weekend for how bad the place would be trashed. The liquor bans have helped. Did people still drink? Yes, discretely. Were they breaking the law? Yes. Did the provincial conservation officers go site to site checking for booze? No. They responded to any complaints and those guys were dealt with promptly. The folks that kept it quiet and respectful, had no issues from the CO's. I look at it as a means for the law enforcement to easily deal with trouble and they (only in my experiance) don't want to bother with the husband and wife sipping from a go-mug on a quiet evening.

fishnut9
05-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Wow. A thread on the may long weekend liquor ban and you start blabbing about your desire for barnyard animals?

At least it looks like your buddy is going to not have to go to jail....

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/05/18/13992326.html

Ok... back to the thread.

I worked at a provincial park at Aspen Beach in Gull Lake about 12 or 13 years ago. AWESOME summer job. Stacking wood, driving around in golf carts, mowing and trimming stuff. Lots of fun. Anyhow, we all dreaded the May long weekend for how bad the place would be trashed. The liquor bans have helped. Did people still drink? Yes, discretely. Were they breaking the law? Yes. Did the provincial conservation officers go site to site checking for booze? No. They responded to any complaints and those guys were dealt with promptly. The folks that kept it quiet and respectful, had no issues from the CO's. I look at it as a means for the law enforcement to easily deal with trouble and they (only in my experiance) don't want to bother with the husband and wife sipping from a go-mug on a quiet evening.

Exactly what i was saying. I have no problem with people drinking quietly and sharing campfire stories. What i hate is when these lowlives get wasted and start doing stupid things. Last year at shaws point these idiots were setting off fireworks in the middle of the night. I got them back though by setting off my firecrackers beside their tents. Lol it sounded like a gunshot and man were they mad.

Fishingnutter
05-19-2010, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Albertadiver;590794]Wow. A thread on the may long weekend liquor ban and you start blabbing about your desire for barnyard animals?

Ok... back to the thread.QUOTE]

Seriously I think Jacob or now Jack is the Man in Black guarding the Well of goodness from seeping into the World.

Your thoughts