PDA

View Full Version : Coal lake boat launch

snsn
05-12-2010, 02:49 PM
So has there been any progress at the north boat launch? Rumour was that they lowered the lake on purpose to fix this one and a rumoured permit was approved in December. Personally I think it is BS. Do they not realize that once the weeds start to grow that the fish population will be starved of oxygen. It also doesn't help that big lake sod pumps water for their sod, shouldn't be allowed in a drought year imho.

Sorry for the rant, been going to that lake since I was a kid and it is starting to look like it is coming to an end.

There was no progress on this rumoured boat launch repair 2 weeks ago when I stopped in to check it out. So much for coal tradition on the long weekend.

SN

Albertafisher
05-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Well I totally agree with you! That is one of my favorite lakes and I dont want it to vanish. But to be honest I dont think they lowered the waterline for the boat launch repair, I think its just drying up, and yeah it doesn't help that water is being extracted from it just for sod! Is there any chance of bringing it up with the division of natural resources? :confused:

But no I can't answer your question, sorry man

snsn
05-12-2010, 04:44 PM
There was some discussion on iceshanty about the launch and that is an answer someone got on the wetaskiwin side, that is in regards to the dam and the water level being dropped. Honestly, when there is money involved, nothing will be solved in regards to the condition of the lake, permits are a money grab, and big business always wins imho, big lake will still be pumping water for the sod "business". Good luck getting anything out of a government branch, they just ride the gravy train til retirement, time to move to BC when I retire lol.

SN

cribfisher
05-12-2010, 05:33 PM
I've been in touch with the gov. and the repairs done on the north lanch late last year are all they are doing. They said they are hoping the water levels come back up on their own. The levels have fluctuated 1.2m since the dam was put in, as low as they are now in late 70's and almost this low around 85,86 and did recover then. The full level is listed as 702.8 and the lowest possible controled draw down is 699.82.

Albertafisher
05-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Well that's good to know thanks cribfisher

craigmid
05-12-2010, 08:45 PM
Has the launch been fixed enough to get a boat off the trailer though? The last time I went was May long last year and it was ridiculous.

Bear Ballz
05-12-2010, 09:00 PM
The water at the north launch is about 3 feet from the last pad on the launch and the south end isnt much better. By the looks of it the 12' aluminums and canoes will have the run of the lake this year.

craigmid
05-12-2010, 10:08 PM
Well then, change of plans....now where to go for Sunday of May long....